Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Did you know....?

17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
On my way home tonight, outside the building where people are allowed to smoke, five of my old smoking buds were puffing. As I passed within twenty feet of them, I had to walk quickly by because the smoke was really bothering my lungs. Sit back, observe and think, really think, about it, what the hell am I smokin.? Not good, time to stay quit. Did you know, that people who quit smoking gain weight not only because they may nibble more, but because their heart rate slows once the nicotine is gone. You burn fewer calories when you quit. So get out and do some type of exercise to make up for it you non-smokers you, yes you. Do you know, I had a resting heart rate of 90 bpm when I smoked, after 1 month it dropped to 70 bpm. Wonder how much living I lost.[font=Georgia]Text[/font][font=Arial]Text[/font] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 184 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,774 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $966 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 34 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, that's interesting. I didn't know that our heartbeats slowed down. I thought the weight gain was mostly from our nibbling. Now that I know that, I certainly don't feel so bad about those 3-4 pounds I've put on. Surely, it's in the best interest of my whole body. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 56 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 854 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $196 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
yep, added nibbling and metabolism slowing down can pack the pounds on ... BUT ... if we add exercise to our life it will speed our metabolism back up. Eat 5 small meals a day, instead of 5 big meals. I try to eat approx 250 calories 5 times a day and do at least an hour of intense exercise. Little things help too, like parking far away in the parking lot, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, when watching a show on tv - watch it exercising instead of just sitting on the couch ... there are lots of small things you can add to your life to speed up that metabolism. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,249 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $296 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$54,514.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 11

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stickin to it, Thanks for sharing this information with us. When you smoked, the nicotine gave your body a surge of adrenaline which increased your heart rate, BP and respiration rate. This effect lasted for 5-15 minutes. If you multiply those 10 min. on average in which your heart was working harder by the number of cigarettes ( 1 pack )you smoked per day, that's almost 4 hours your heart was being stressed by nicotine! Breaking Free also makes an excellent point, a little exercise can not only speed up your metabolism but can exercise your heart and help it and the rest of your cardiovascular system get back into shape! Keep in mind that exercise doesn't mean you have to run on a treadmill, it can be as simple as walking your dog, taking a dance class, playing a sport... anything that gets your heart rate up. Danielle __________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1262 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Stickin Nope, I didn't know......thanks! nice stats! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 178 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,676 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $534 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19

Reading this thread: