Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

I'm New! And need help!

17 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I have quit smoking before - Quit last April for 3 months. Started smoking one - once in awhile. Thought I could handle that. Couldn't! Just recently I realized I am back to where I was before I quit last year. A pack a day - And I don't want to be here. I have pinpointed my basic problem area - it's stress. I have no other device to deal with stress. I joined this group because I thought it would be helpful to me to talk to others going thru the same process. Most of the people I know DON'T smoke and have no idea how difficult it is to quit.
17 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CJ that has been one of my biggy's too. Stress...i just stopped smoking so i cant give any sugestions. i'm still trying to figure it out too. LOL But i tell you with all of on here throwing fits with what is getting on our nerves.....it bound to help! So vent all you want, gotta be better then that nasty ole smoke. ;)
17 years ago 0 261 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi CJ, Welcome to the worldwide support network that is SCC. Stress sucks and we all have stress, good and bad. But cigarettes create more stress than they solve. The only stress that cigarettes solve is the stress of withdrawal, which all smokers start to feel about 15 minutes after they put out every cig. That withdrawal stress adds to your total stress so when you have your nicotine fix the overall stress is reduced and you get on with dealing with the problem (or whatever it is) with the feeling that it is now manageable. Non-smokers don't need it! The junkie inside you that wants feeding is a tricky little bas**rd. Give it a slap and kick it to the Kerb. :) :) :) alison Kick the Herb to the Kerb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $725 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$90,854.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8667 Hours: 3

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CJ Hello & Welcome. Keep those non smoking friends around, they will come in handy and you will Love being with them when you get over this hump! Hanging out with non smokers is excellent. How was it that you handled stress before you quit smoking? Maybe that was not working? Like Healer suggested, you will find what works for you and her suggestions mirror mine, reward yourself, scribble your thoughts in a journal (especially now) were emotions are running way crazy) and walk until you have walked some "steam" off. I walked my poor dog a million times when I first quit - the neighbors were proly like What the H$&*(# is with her and that dog? LOL. Treat yourself gently and if you have not prepared for your quit - see the tool on the left and get on it. You have done this before, so you know it's worth it! You have a lot of positive reinforcement here at the SSC. CobenFan (Christine) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,866 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $381.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi CJ, Welcome... It's a rough journey, this Quit process, but its also doable. Stress... so what other ways can you deal with stress other than smoking? Walking works really well for me as does swimming and getting a massage, journaling is good too, etc... Make a list of what will work for you. Take a look at the program on the left, and since you had a 3 month Quit, you have a good idea what worked for you... Stay close to this site and post often - read as much as possible as there is a wealth of info here to help you along the way. We're here - let us know how we can support you. Blessings- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 129 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,541 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $599.85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 299 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady is right!!! I would not have come this far without the support of these people and constant reminders of how bad smoking is and my will power and my not wanting to have to come here and say im starting over (although i did that like 10 times lol). But you will finally get it right and get it done, just keep coming here and go through the material. This site rules!!!! I quit smoking on July 6, 2006 at 6:00pm. It has been 6 days, 3 hours, 13 minutes, and 17 seconds since I quit. Had I not quit smoking, I would have: * Smoked 123 cigarettes (That's like smoking a 41 foot long cigarette) * Spent $26.25 on cigarettes * Inhaled 1.23 grams of tar * Inhaled 98 mg of nicotine (That's like doing 1,840 hits of nicotine) * Inhaled 1.35 grams of carbon monoxide * Taken an additional 18 hours, 9 minutes, and 10 seconds off my life
  • Quit Meter

$16,497.61

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 906 Hours: 16

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome CJ and congratulations on your decision to quit. Stress is a hard thing to deal with without smoking but something I bet you didn't know is that smoking actually causes stress. As soon as you put a cigarette out, you are immediately beginning to stress about when and where the next opportunity for a fix is. Take really deep breaths, stretch, scream, go for a walk, exercise, to on a mental vacation, there are a lot of ways to relieve stress. Do an internet search on stress and you will find all kinds of helpful methods. If one thing doesn't work for you try another. Quitting is a learning process. We all learn how to deal with life without smoking. When you find something that works stick with it. This site is a Godsend. You will find a lot of useful information to help you through the rough times. Be sure to check out the forums located below this one. Congratulations on your decision to quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 376 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,538 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1316 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18

Reading this thread: