Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

First Day (I am so Scared)

17 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
just hang on you'll be fine after 1-2 weeks [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Cassie, dont be scared there is nothing to fear, nothing will happen to you (despite what nicotine will have you believe). I smoked for 22 years so I understand its a long time habit to break. This is a wonderful support group. The first week can be tough, but just take deep breaths... and drink water.Complete the work book on here. Whenever you want to smoke = POST! READ and POST!! By the time you have typed and sent what you want to say, the craving has gone anyway. REmember some days will be bad, but that doesnt mean that it will always be bad. You could have a great run, and feel like the bad times are behind you - then BAM you are back to square one, and feeling terrible. Always remember this is just today, tomorrow is another day. No doubt you will wake up the next day and feel better. Congratulations on your quit!
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi chuck and welcome! Congratulations on your quit! Don't be scared we are all in this together. I am still in early days - but will always help others when I can
17 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I doubt you are the only one to feel scared. I felt nervous when I had only 3 packs left. I am Soooooooo glad that is not going to be a problem now. If your life allows you to... spend a fair amount of time here reading the board and getting familiar with things. Welcome aboard :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 256 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $44 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cassie and Chuckb2, Congratulations!! The first day kicked my butt, but IT DOES GET EASIER. There will be moments that stress you out, but you have to just take a deep breath and work through it. I put a few signs over my desk at work and at home, one telling me that i will save $3421 a year (NYC is too expensive!) others with inspirational quotes. You will miss it at times and others you will start to feel soooo much better that you will realize the struggle is worth it. Call a friend, read a book. I started cooking lots of fun meals for myself with all the fresh veggies I get at the Farmers Markets. Whatever makes you happy for a moment is a great thing. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 215 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on your first day cassy! That is no small feat! Why not try checking off "Show my Quit Meter" when you post, so we can all follow your progress. About fear...Others have said not to be afraid. That's great advice. But I think a little differently. I try not to be afraid. And sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes I'm terrified that I might break my quit. Sometimes I'm afraid that this will all be wasted. Fear is normal, you're making a huge change in your life. When you're scared, post here and we will all help you however we can. Rainne [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 343 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $77 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep going in that direction chuckb2. Realize that this will take time. Understand that feeling nuts right now is normal. Know that you can post and we'll be here to support you. Don't stop reading. Gain all the knowledge you can. You can do this. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,219 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $160 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$54,514.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 11

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Fear is what kept me from quitting for so long or so I thought. I would hear people say how nicotine is more addictive than crack, that is was so hard to quit, that people who had quit still wanted to smoke after years of being quit, blah, blah, blah.... I believed all that crap while I was still smoking ... I was frozen in fear. Why? You want to know why? Because of addiction. The addiction had it right where it wanted me ... frozen in fear ... so it could keep me coming back for more ... so it could keep me coming back for another fix. Do not believe that is it going to be soooooo hard to quit, do not believe that it is more addictive than crack ... because I am here to tell you ... it isn't. Do not believe that you will still want a cigarette after a year ... because you do not have to want one if that is what you set your mind to. You have to be the one to decide what you want to believe. You have to understand that your quit is yours and not anyone else's. You decide the road you take to your destination. We believe what we want to believe. What we believe we can make come true. Believe in yourself. Commit to your Quit. Get prepared. Feel the fear and do it anyway ... you'll be glad you did. The first week or so is not a cake walk ... but it won't kill you either and you will come out on the other side glad that you made it through the roughest part of the journey ... I'll be there along the way if you need positive support and I'll also be there when you come out on the other side ... waiting for you with an out stretched hand, ready to celebrate your accomplishment. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,214 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $160 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$54,514.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Yes fear is normal, but not when it immobilizes us and keeps us from doing what is in our best interest. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,226 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $160 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
  • Quit Meter

$54,514.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Congrats on making it through your first smoke free day Cassy. Don't forget your success today. Now repeat it over and over and it will get easier and easier and better and better. If you hit any rough spots ... lean on us ... we will be here walking the journey with you. Don't forget to reward yourself for your success ... you totally deserve it! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,226 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $160 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
  • Quit Meter

$54,514.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: