Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Everyones' Quit Really is Different

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob, Hang in there, try to stay strong. You can do this. Remember this is just another speed bump in this journey. Make good use of your coping mechanisms when needed. Remember we are always here for you. Take Care, Melanie ____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow listening to all it is really scarey. I am going on my first full week and if this is going to last another two or three months I am going to pull my hair out or my husband will divorce me. I also am doing it cold turkey even though I am using the nicocure patch that has no nicotine (useless). I have been doing it for a week and a half and it has not help at all. Well good luck to all Lusko [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 205 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
18 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I question weather using the gum is a good thing BUT I know I would not make it without it at this point. My cravings are here and there and not too bad at this point but I don't want to chance it. I know at some point I will get rid of the nic...hopefully in 10-12 weeks like suggested. It will take time but I can do it. Hang in there, it's a small glitch in the big picture...Stay strong!
18 years ago 0 1010 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exactly Rob!! My friend says to me, "You only smoked 5 - 8 cigs per day. I do not see what the big deal is. So what if you only smoked for 22 years. All of the symptoms you have read are in your head. You are imagining them all. Stop reading and get back to being normal." I scratch my head and say, "WTF?? How in the hell would you know??? You DO NOT SMOKE!!" I tell you...PMO too.... :mad: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 102 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $24 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
  • Quit Meter

$36,038.46

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 419 Hours: 21

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lusko- now listen....read the title of this thread and don't be scared. I'm not trying to scare you or anyone; nor am I trying to convey tough love or something. I'm just realizing that, for some (at least from what I read and see in my life), this quit can be quite a lot different....and seemingly "less unpleasant". I guess I was blaming it on the patch and the constant withdrawel the patch kept me in, but then Lady had the same thing without the nrt influence; so go figure! It is better for people like myself to know that it will be this tough, and to know I'm not the only one, but I had no idea, really...what it would involve. Too late now; after 57 days. Lady, like you, this will certainly keep me from smoking ever again as long as I don't go insane first! I can see where this post might scare a "new" newbie a bit, but you'll have to bear with me. Don't fret about your marriages, either! I'm sure you weren't perfect delights as smokers either! lol Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,315 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $513 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
I did the patch, exactly as recommended. Each wean was pretty bad, then adjusted to tolearable and the final wean to cold turkey has been hell. I read a lot of posts here and many indicated a much "kinder" experience whether using nrt's or going cold turkey. I am smoke free almost 2 months, and nic-free 6 days. I know I could have chomped some gum or some other nic substitute, but it makes no sense to me to continue this nic-fix. I'm not saying it's no good (for those using nrt's- not smoking is the best thing!), but some time I have to get free of this stuff. So I chose to stop the patch (7 mg) versus going another 2 weeks. I just want to let people know there are those of us who have experienced an almost constant crave with the patch, and while I admit I would never have gotten through the first week without it, maybe cold turkey isn't such a bad thing. But if you are one of these people (like myself), I just want to let you know you're not alone. I have just finally started to have days not totally encumbered by craves. That's right...waking to sleeping. I had the reverse of the predicted scenario...several 3-5 minute periods of NOT CRAVING per day. Where did this idea of a few craves per day come from? Not for me, anyway. Oh well, it has got to get better. I don't know, maybe I'm just a freak, but I surely wouldn't recommend the patch for any length of time for anyone else, based on my experience. The bottom line is that I did it, I had no puffs/slips, and am now looking forward to some relief here at the 2 month smoke free/ 9 day nic-free point. However any of us can do this is great! Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,297 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $513 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
Thanks Iwin; I know and it's weird. My point though is that while expecting craves, I didn't expect constant, vitually non-stop ones. I know what you mean, though; I had an aunt and uncle just stop smoking one day and that was that. So, they couldn't see what the problem was.Really pissed me off! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $513 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
18 years ago 0 425 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob, I stopped "cold Turkey" and I too have cravings. Some days are better than others, but for me it seems like the days around 30 and 50 has been the worst so far(except for "hell-week"). Some days are really good and I hardly think about cigarettes. This weekend I have had strong cravings and I have been emotionally instabel. I have been crying and I have been angry, I started a fight with my husband and then I realized that I needed to take some "time out". I went to bed, took deep breath and realized that it was nothing that my husband did to make me feel this way, the reason i felt like I did, was because I so much wanted to have a cigarette! No - it's not true - I didn't want a cigarette - I just wanted some relief from what I was feeling. I totally understand what you are going trough, but the best thing we can do is to keep going, hoping that tomorrow will be a better day. As Riverdale man use to say: One step in front of the other :) All I know for certain is that I wont give up my quit. We have more than 50 days behind us, and I for sure don't ever want to go through that again! Hang in there! Carina [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 807 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $238.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
18 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lusko- Please don't be discouraged. Like the title says....Everyone's quit really is different! For me....going cold turkey, the first two weeks were pretty rough. Then, during weeks 3 and 4 the cravings changed. They really did become more of a controllable thought. The thought comes in to mind then I can quickly talk myself out of it. I would say the "thoughts" or craves have decreased signicantly throughout weeks 5 to 9. I did have a rough time last week, but there was a definite trigger involved.....I knew the trigger and battled my way through. Now I'm just looking forward to things improving once again during this coming week. Bottom line is....the way you feel with your quit today is nothing like the way you will feel about it next week. Think back to day one, would you rather do day one again, or day six? Things do get easier, you have to look for the day to day improvements. Those improvements may be subtle but they are enough to keep you motivated. Nicotine-less patch? I have never heard of those, but if they are truly nicotine free then that means you are too!!! It only takes about 3 days to clear your system of that nasty nictotine. YEAH!!! That in itself is something to celebrate. Stay strong...you can make it Sheila ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,156 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $355 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
18 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I used the gum last time and am using it again. It helped and I had the worst time in the world. I work with live animals and made some serious and dangerous errors with them. Sometimes my hands would shake so badly that I had to send the animal home incomplete. My business suffered terribly but is getting back to normal now. I am happy today with my first day, which is really the day of committment. I am not going to experience anything any different than I did last time and I got through it. This time it will be easier, I just feel it. I just know inside.

Reading this thread: