Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Nothing I read or learned prepared me for the first day....

18 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Adam Congrats on your decision to quit and making through the first day. If you need to just stay in bed and sleep the first couple of days away, drink lots of water and keep up that deep breathing. Does your wife smoke? If not, let her destroy the cigs she has hidden from you so you can never ask her for them. Stay strong and you can get through this. Sheila ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 51 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,539 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $255 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done Adam, the first day is really tough and you have done yourself proud by winning through. There will be challenging times ahead, but if you keep that positive attitude and sheer will and determination then you can get through this and boy will you feel so good and proud of yourself when you do! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 593 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �122.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
18 years ago 0 635 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi adam I gets easier...believe me Carlos [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 34 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Adam. Sounds like you're having a pretty rough ride. I suggest if you don't feel like you can do this cold turkey, then switch to another method. Use the patches, the Wellbutrin, the other aids. Just because you've struggled through 5 days of cold turkey does not mean you will be setting yourself back or failing if you've found you need help. The only setback or failure would be smoking and that's what you're trying to prevent. The person you mentioned has a very narrow view of quitting -- hardcore cold turkey. You can't join his group until you've been nicotine free for 72 hours (past physical withdrawal) and if you slip by even one puff you're kicked out. My opinion is he's just trying to guarantee success of his method by banning those it doesn't work with. That way he can say "See? We have no slippers here!" because they are all booted out. His site does have some really good information, though. Anyhow, if you feel the need to switch to another method, do it. There's no shame, no setback, no failure in doing so. The goal is to not smoke. How you get there is your business. Keep your quit, Adam. We're pulling for you. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 312 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,249 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1185.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 58 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Adam, No you're not out of fuel. Get up tomorrow and do it again. Healer is right. Just do tomorrow. Don't think ahead. I know your wife is having a hard time understanding what you're going through and thats a bummer but do it anyway. You have to if you are going to succeed. I'm sorry it's bad. It was for me too. I wish you the best tomorrow. Adam, don't smoke. Do the time. You won't regret it....I promise. Surely you wouldn't throw away 7 days. I can't even imagine Best, Mel
  • Quit Meter

$63,579.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 13

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 59

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Oh....I am so sorry. I forgot to say.....congratulations for having come this far. 6 days is awesome. Don't give up the TIME you've put in. Please. I wish you the best....
  • Quit Meter

$63,579.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

[i]Also time, time is my other weapon, time is to my side; with more time passing without smoking, I am getting stronger and the addiction is getting weaker. [/i] Adam, I rarely post anymore but your thread caught my eye and I wanted to give you a word of encouragement if I can. The above statement was MY mission statement throughout my quit....GET THE TIME BEHIND ME....and JUST DON'T SMOKE. My quit was cold turkey on the spot after a doc scare and I was totally unprepared....angry and scared. I had to focus on the fact that TIME would take care of things eventually. Mine was a rough ride for quite awhile but my perseverance paid off. I just kept doing it....no matter what...every day. You can do this too. Your overall attitude is better than mine was. That will help you. Ask your wife to please be patient with you and let her know how sorry you are to have to put her through this but this is a fight for your life. Don't give in. TIME IS ON YOUR SIDE. The first couple of weeks are the toughest. Stay close here. You can do it. I wish you the very best, my friend. I smoked even longer than you. Melanie/Melofga My Quit Date: 7/30/2002 Smoke-Free Days: 1341 Cigarettes Not Smoked: 53,660
  • Quit Meter

$63,579.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Adam, What an inspiring story, thank you for sharing. Your determination is outstanding and we can also help! By preparing for this quit and those craves, you will be better suited. The online program and its tools can be of assistance to you and your journey. Our online support team is incredible and can really make a difference. Let us know how we can help. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: