Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,532 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Can I do this?

18 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Elle. Thanks for the advice, it really hit the spot! Part of me is very ready to quit and a small part is not. I've decided to change my habits in some ways, like only allowing myself a few to smoke in a day and not allowing myself to smoke inside. This makes it more of a mission to have a cig and makes me think twice about whether or not I really want to smoke. Most of the time it is more habit than actually needing one. Today at work someone asked me for a cigarette and I was able to say I don't smoke at work. They were well impressed! I'm in South Africa so we're on home time now. I will log in again tomorrow to see how everyone is. Melissa
Thanks for the advice. Does it ever completely go away, the craving? I know it is premature to start worrying about that. I would like to know that at some stage I won't think about smoking and wanting to smoke. I read your other comments and one thing I wish most of all is that I had never smoked in the first place!
I have been thinking about quitting for a while as most of my friends have one by one done so. On Saturday I turned 30 and decided that was a good time to stop. Monday was my day but I caved and had 1 cigarette in the evening. Last night was the same. I don't miss them during the day, it's when I get home that I always sit back and relax with a cigarette. And even if I go to gym or out and come home later, I will still WANT that cigarette!! I've decided my quit date is next Monday but I already feel like a quitter for not being able to stop this week. I really want to be a non smoker but also hate the idea that I can never ever ever have another cigarette again. Any advice from someone who has had the same feelings?
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello capetowngirl! Welcome. I don't have a miracle answer for you, but I just thought I would share my story. Maybe it will help. I am only 34, and I smoked for 18 yrs. I was a pack and a half a day smoker. My hubby was a 2 pack a day smoker. Our prior attempts at quitting lasted all but 6 hours. I smoked through both of my pregnacies, and surgeries. What a dedicated smoker huh? I just thought I "loved" smoking, and that since I smoked through my pregnancies, (people said cant you quit for your baby?) I thought there was no hope for me. If I couldnt do it when I was preg, then I'll never quit!! Well, I know now why I failed. I had no plan. I had no insight as to what was happening to my body. I didn't have a clue what to do with myself when I wanted that cig. So, it is clear. Without knowledge and a plan, there is no hope in sucess. I was 2 or 3 days into my quit when I stumbled across this site. What a lifesaver! Without this site, I probably would have caved in. Please, take a while and go through the steps. I promise it helps. Take your time and really think about your steps and answers. Then, just go for it! You will be prepared, and you can do it! The first week is hard. But I invested in Lifesavers and gum. I still do. My cravings have almost gone away. Now and then, I get a wave of "what do I do now... I wish I could have that feeling of aaahhhh that a cig provided." But it quickly passes. My hubby and I saw a hypnotist. It has helped keep us calm when cravings hit. It made us think about the nasty taste. That is what I remember. It was well worth the money. Cold turkey is hard, but the hypnosis helped. Anyhow, keep posting. The people here are wonderful! We are all here voting for you! Stay strong....... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 230 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $35.97 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
18 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning Capetown Girl, I have no wonderful words of insperation. This is my 11th day. And yes I am dealing with the urges and the habit. But, I can't believe it is 11 days already! I will be turning 50 this year. It sounds good that you have 20 years on me. Quitting at 30 I believe is alot better than quitting at 50. Go ahead and quit on Monday...before you know it, it will be friday and you will have 5 days in. You can do it! Just come out here and get motivated! M [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 282 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
18 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Capetowngirl, I just turned 30 as well and decided it was time for me to quit. I'm just like you as in I didn't think about cigs. during the day and only craved it at night time. I worked out almost everyday and still craved cigs. when I got home. I thought it was impossible for me to not want one and I've set several dates to quit but I eventually realized that I hate the way smoking makes me feel. You need to find your own reasons why you want to quit. It's hard and many of us will tell you it's mind over matter. Take it one day at a time and don't think well maybe in the future I would like to have one. You really don't! That one will lead you back to where you started. The hardest part for me was actually setting a date and following through. The first 3 days was the hardest for me but now I really don't think much about it. I'm doing it cold turkey. I hope this helps you a bit. We are all here for you. It's nice to know you're not alone. Elle [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 155 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $37.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are not a quiter because you had a ciggy.you had a lapse that can be put right.You can say to yourself that I can have a cigarette if i want but I choose not to just now maybe later ,then when you get urge for another say it again.If it gets to bad have a drink,I have orange juice or a slice of orange,that does help for me.Keep positive you will beat this one last cigarette.
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
capetowngirl, Congratulations on your decision to quit and welcome to the SSC. It seems that most new quitters always ask the same thing.. do the cravings ever go away? A simple answer is Yes, they do. Does that mean that for the rest of your life you will never think about a cigarette again? You probably will from time to time. The big difference is that you can quickly dismiss a thought about a smoke after you have been quit for a good period. I'm 10 months quit and I've finally arrived at that point. I understand that I'm a nicotine addict and I will be have to be aware of my weakness for nicotine for the rest of my life. However, I'm not consumed with those thoughts. I just go about my life. It's a frame of mind that you will get to. The first step though is to be 100% done with smoking. It seems like you are quitting Cold Turkey. That is fine, but people also have success using an NRT like the patch or gum. Do a little research on these methods. Educate yourself on the quit process. It is a new beginning for you. Here is a quote that I like to pass on to new quitters.... [b][color=blue]"May we never let the things we can't have, or don't have, or shouldn't have, spoil our enjoyment of the things we do have and can have. As we value our happiness, let us not forget it, for one of the greatest lessons in life is learning to be happy without the things we cannot or should not have."[/color] [color=black]Richard L. Evans[/color][/b] Best wishes. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 304 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,611 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $744.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$36,332.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9768 Hours: 6

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 407 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, Dr. Bubba may have the solution to your dilemma. It is coping to masked the craving. It is simple and it is called coping skills. They are hundreds in number and you simply need to set up a bag of skills to call on. Deep Breathing, Hard Candy, Prayer, Straws cut the length of your brand, soft music and reflection, etc. They go on and on. If you have set next Monday as your target then get busy on the left side of this page and do the 6 mile journey, read the success stories, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND SOME FORM OF NICOTINE REPLACEMENT (The patches were my crutch), etc. You must apply yourself as it is yours...not ours. Even Dr. Bubba does not have the magic potion. Good luck and I will be praying for you and watching. Lindsey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/10/2001 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1647 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 98,835 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16470 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 339 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$122,623.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8384 Hours: 14

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cape, Welcome to our support community. Many people who quit will admit that the reason they never quit before was because of a fear of failure. Why go through withdrawal if it may not work, they wondered? They did not know about the Journey to our Online Quit Program or the wonderful support they could get here. When some people prepare to quit, they consciously try to cut down. One such person wrote to me that in order to be able to do that, she kept her cigarettes outside. For her, smoking had been automatic, and all other attempts to cut down had failed. She wanted to start developing coping methods before the big day came. Another person wrote that he put away his pack, only taking out a certain amount for the morning. He did the same for the afternoon and the same for the evening. This allowed him to discover the time of day when his strongest urges hit. Then he would work on dealing with that time of day. Cutting out a few favorites each day is another way to cut down, such as the ones on the ride home from work, or the first one in the morning. There are other ways of cutting down, and I hope the members will share how they did it. You can do this and we can help. Keep Strong, Josie ______________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: