Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

The "ache" in my lungs for a smoke

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob, You can expect to feel nicotine withdrawal symptoms after you quit smoking. However, they usually improve after the first three or four days, depending on your level of nicotine addiction. Each smoker has different withdrawal symptoms - yours will be unique. Although they may be unpleasant, they do pass. When you experience withdrawal symptoms, remind yourself that each symptom is a sign of recovery - your body is in the process of healing itself. Think of withdrawal symptoms as growing pains. If you have a symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult a doctor. It�s possible that your smoking has been masking symptoms of some illness, and when you stop smoking the symptoms abruptly become noticeable. Take Care, Melanie ____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 1262 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Rob Yes I can relate to this!! Definitely an ache (feeling) but to me it is really the EVIL voice in me! Its saying.........you know you WANT me! I felt it (the ache), I heard it (the voice), many times. For me the ache went away around day 30 when I was finally brave enough to say, think and FEEL.......I DON'T NEED YOU AND I DON'T WANT YOU! Shortly there after, I was able to give up the patch. Hang in there! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 606 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $120 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks all. It is good to know you're not alone in this. I really related to another thread about our non-smoking friends too. Don't expect much, if any, support there. Understandably, they don't get it...smoking is just a nasty habit to them...easy to give up. Ugh, to us, we know it's an addiction. Hell- why else would I be putting a patch on every day just to endure this....what's the difference between that and methadone for a heroin junky? And I still crave them. So I'm glad there is something like this forum to at least let a person know they're not alone. I'm going to keep using the patch as directed, even though I agree with some that I might be prolonging the quit. Knowing that smoking on top of using the patch could kill me is an additional "mind-game" incentive I really need at this point. Hopefully withdrawing from the patch won't be another hell, but I'll deal with that bridge when I get to it. At least my lungs are cleaning out. Thanks again folks, and kudos to all of you for your success! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 858 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $189 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Does anyone experience this? It doesn't hurt...it's a desirous ache...I guess it's a feeling like being parched and wanting a cool drink. This is the worst for me and it's so illogical. Why would my lungs "ache" for a cigarette? Some days, it's only passing; you know, the 3-5 minute crave. Some days, it's all day and almost constant. This is what always got me in previous attempts. 30 years...I guess my lungs just don't know what to think of clean air. Man this is tough. It gets better, right? C'mon you 2 ppd ex-smokers, tell me this will pass. Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 837 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Rob ! I had the same thing.. it was like a longing in the back of my throat and sometimes in my chest.. I hated it.. it bugged me to death.. one day it was just gone.. I remember posting about it... I believe that ignoring it.. was what did the trick.. it is like an anticipation thing.. once you get the message through that no smoke is coming.. the asking will go away. It will go away.. Hang Tuff.. Christine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 950 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $133 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
18 years ago 0 214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had that to. I would say most everyone does. Mine went away after a couple of weeks, but then it moved to my tongue of all places. I would have a kind of metal taste in my mouth and a really weird feeling that made you think if you smoked it would go away. I think part of it was due to the nicotine patch because I stepped down to the 7mg 2 days ago and the feeling has really gotten better today. That feeling in your chest will go away. You just have to give it time because everyone is different. Take a lot of deep breaths it really helps to do that. Good luck! IWin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,193 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $236 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
yeah, i know what you are talking about. it's hard to describe the feeling, but "ache" is as good a term as any! I wasn't a 2ppd smoker, but the feeling of "need" is the same regardless of how "badly" addicted you were. If you are cold turkey now (no patches/lozenges/gum) then after 20 days there are no more physical symptoms, but your mind is translating it's need for the weed into an achey feeling. I get headaches sometimes. Still. But these are self-created (if I give into a thought and let it take a hold of me.) Which I don't like doing too often, 'cause I don't like headaches! ;p But seriously, the "mind cravings" do get better. Trust me, you WILL have days, many of them, where you do not think of one, or if you do, it's without a crave associated with it........ [b]HANG IN THERE[/b]. You are doing a fantastic job of staying quit. Educate yourself as much as you can about your addiction, what's happening in your mind and to your body. You'll be amazed. And you'll never want to go back to smoking. Ever. Sheryl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 81 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,229 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $546.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 453 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I'll tell ya, Golferman's "Rock BOttom" was what [i]done the deed[/i] for me. I didn't know it at the time but when I did hit Rock Bottom, no miracle-method in the world, (& I've tried most of them,) would have been necessary. If you want to be quit, you will. It won't always be easy. And if you slip, try again. Read everything you can get your hands, (&/or keyboard,) on. Just remember, each time you slip you start the quit all over, (regaarless of whether you change your Quir Meter.) MC
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes it gets better...just as soon as you start dismissing that junkie thinking as soon as it starts. The craves only get as much attention as you give them. Think about it, when they only last 3-5 minutes, are you busy doing something else to take your mind off the crave? And when they last all day, are you focussing on not smoking? Quitting is a choice. You have chosen not to smoke and that is a wise choice. Something about it being a choice has always made it better for me. You are going to love being a non-smoker. Congratulations on you 20 days quit. That is AWESOME! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 252 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,058 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $882 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
18 years ago 0 226 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob47...I get the same feeling in my chest. Its quite annoying but I am trying my best to ignore it. When I get that feeling and no one is around me I start singing. It actually helps block the feeling in my chest. Try it and let me know what you think. Angelic ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 147 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $33.04 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17

Reading this thread: