Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Pyromate- Day 381- How I Became "Smoke Free" PART 2

18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pyromate, your journey has helped me so much. I am using the patch and I just have a few days left. And believe me I am printing this out and will read it everyday. Thanks!!! Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 61 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,043 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $213.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$229,984.31

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6398 Hours: 6

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey John.. been following along... Reminding me of 1001 Nights.. Hurry up and continue !!! LOL Christine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 950 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $133 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 103 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The picture your words paint are so vivid I almost feel as though I am there, partly because I HAVE been there. Relating to the fears, isolation and anger is very cathartic for me..............as are so many of the personal posts here. Thank you for taking the time to share. Wishing You Well. Cheers, Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 993 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $264 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pyromate, You are quite the story teller! After your first installment I thought G.G, I hope this isn't Stephen King, because he takes forever to finish his "serial", but now I'm thinking John A MacDonald. Lol. Seriously, I think you're post CLEARLY shows how quitting is a journey. And like a real journey there are many places we will see with great views, and many that we will never want to experience again. I think I am rolling down the road on a sunny day with beautiful green fields all around me. The air is pure and I can hear birds singing. But I am enough of a realist to know that right around the bend there could be a big muddy sinkhole waiting for me. Thanks for your post, it will be really helpful to a lot of people. We look forward to your next installment. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 67 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,616 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $556.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John, I'd hold up a lit cigarette lighter if I owned one ;) Keep it coming :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 201 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,439 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1005 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Please continue. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 251 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,033 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $878.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
More More Please :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 282 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,653 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1269 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 29 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John, Fascinating yarn... for someone who hasn't read a book for pleasure since high school, I love this "serial" you are putting together. I'm very pleased with your quit and hope there is a "happy ending" on the horizon. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 298 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,458 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $730.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$36,343.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9771 Hours: 0

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you very kindly for making me feel so good about sharing my story with you. My intentions are to help as many of you as possible to conquer the addiction and be independant of nicotene. John (pyromate) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 383 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,511 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1915 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 63 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
  • Quit Meter

$41,418.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 887 Hours: 18

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Continuing the story of my journey to the "Smoke Free" zone, Part 2. After the first 10 days of struggling with my fears and physical withdrawls from the dreaded nicotene demons...the emotional roller coaster ride continued to play out... like a Qentin Tarintino film...fragemented... but with purpose and a means to an end. The painful lump in my throat that materialized 11 days earlier was now begining to SLOWLY shrink and become less noticable...but still painfull and omnipresent. A constant reminder for me of the purpose of this seemingly endless torture and madness. My relentless effort to continue living and fight the cravings and the constant urges to light up another cigarette was fueled..like fire by some primeval instinct to survive. We all have it...you have it. We save it for times when the only way out is up. Sometimes we must dig very, very deep to find it and use it ...but it is there. I decided to use the patches, candy, frozen snickers ice cream bars and every other possible way to help myself quit smoking...for good...forever....TO LIVE. I visited SSC from time to time. Mostly I would read a few posts and check my quit meter and progress...it was helpful. The candy was a great help for me and still is. I carry it with me every day...but fear not, for now I carry it because I like it. Not to fight the nicotene cravings some of you are having right now. Always remember this...the cravings will pass.. they will intesify..then subside and yes..eventually they will TOTALLY dissapear. The patches were a great help to me. I elected to use only the medium strength patches for 14 days then stopped them all together and went cold turkey from then on. I wanted to speed up the process and face the devil himself. I am an Aries and it is in my personality and nature to fight fire with fire. I said to myself, "I am a mountain man! A pyro! Act like it!!" I began to feel a bit more in control each day and focused on "kickin' some major ass"...and I did! Along the way, I knew I should see a doctor about the painful lump on my neck. I was afraid to hear my friend, my doctor say "John...the news is bad...we need to do a biopsy and see if cancer is present".. the sting of the knife... the cold steel. I continued to fight the demons with all of my
  • Quit Meter

$41,418.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 887 Hours: 18

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: