Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

No matter what I do I can't stop!

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bill, Thank you for sharing your story with us. We are all here to help you in a successful quit. Stay strong, Melanie __________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kiwi, What a great post! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 308 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $112.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
18 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elaine just try and if it doesnt work try again. i know how you feel its so frustrating when you desperately want to do something but cant quite make it work. i am on my zillianth quit and this time havnt had a cig for 5 days. i think you have to be a bit selfish when you quit think of yourself for a while, be number 1. preperation is realy important get equipped with as much amunition as you can and take on one battle at a time. Good Luck We will all be with you [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 135 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �9.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
18 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was on the quit-relapse yo-yo for years. I was a lot more relapsed than I was quit though and I was a pretty committed smoker for over forty years. I was pretty surprised I survived my first serious quit but I did. After that I was no longer having any doubts that I could quit and I would survive. I just really did not want to go through the quit cycle again so I kept smoking. I wanted to quit, no longer really enjoyed it, had a spouse who smoked, had a job where I couldn't smoke, and knew it was slowly killing me. I kept smoking. On Dec.3 I simply decided to not light up the next one. No big plan.....just decided to not spark up the next smoke during the next five minutes, etc. I made it through a whole day and went to sleep as soon as I could. The next day I self talked, "You made it through one whole day. You can make it through two days" You know the routine. The one variable this time was this site. I know coming on this site helps me not smoke. Try not smoking and use this website. We can lick this addiction. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/3/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 91 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,833 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $455 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elaine, do you really want to quit ? I will share a little secret with you.... When i stopped smoking i decided i was not going to smoke for 1 year, even if it killed me. I prepared to put my whole life on hold for a year for this quit. I prepared to be miserable & was even ready to accept all the destructiveness i was going to cause amongst family, friends & work collegues. Guess what... 1 year on & i'm obviously still alive, i'm still in the samejob, there are still a few people left who talk to me plus i can't believe some of the things i've accomplished this 'smokefree' year. I'm a quiet, unsociable, shy guy with no willpower who quit 'cold turkey', what does that say ! :8o: the point is..... how ready are you ??? seriously - do you really want to stop smoking ? ;p we are all here, ready to help you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 427 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,678 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2775.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 61 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$12,473.28

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 624 Hours: 3

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elaine... hello. I read your post yesterday and wasn't sure how to respond so I didn't. For some reason your post keeps coming back up and I have the same response each time I read it so I guess that means I should share it with you. You say "no matter what I do I Can't stop" I have three children and one phrase that no one is allowed to use is "I Can't". You can say - [B]"I don't know how"[/b] to which I would respond, read there is all kinds of material here to help you. [B]"I'm afraid"[/b] - all quitters are afraid. We have smoked for so long that we don't know how to do anything without smoking. It takes time but we learn. I can't means you are unwilling to try and I don't think that is the case here. Take some really deep breathes. Take one step at a time. Deal with the next five minutes and then the next. Quitting isn't easy but that doesn't mean it "Can't" be done. There are hundreds of people on this board alone proving that it Can be done. You can be one of them. The first week is Hell week and they don't call it hell week for nothing. Take some time for your quit. Decide that this is the most important thing for me to do right now and then do it. It takes courage to quit. You are fighting for your life. Don't give up. Each five minutes you succeed in not smoking gives you more strength for the next five minutes. Those minutes turn into hours, hours turn into days, days turn into weeks, weeks into months, months into years....get the picture? YOU CAN STOP. We will help. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 246 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,928 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $861 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
18 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Elaine, I found out this weekend a great friend of mine had a stroke. THe last year her health has been really bad. She said the doctors told her to quit smoking and she said no matter what she enjoyed smoking and wasn't going to quit. Right now she is in the hospital and can't talk. I feel so bad for her and her husband, but it also gave me the extra desire to keep on being a non smoker. I think about not being able to go to the bathroom, curling my hair, putting on my makeup, things that some people may think silly, but important to me. I would hate to be dependent on someone to take care of me and have my face distorted from a stroke. You can quit. It is not easy but the end results are far better than having a stroke or heart attack. I was a heavy smoker for 35 years. I smoked when I was sick. My grandson had many major heart surgeries and while at the hospital all I could think of was, I need to go have a smoke. I was so hooked that I would take time away from him just to have the hit. How sad that it ruled my life that way. It hasn't been easy but I have hung in there and I take one day at a time. I found deep breathing also helps me when the horrible urge attack hits. Hang in there you will be glad you did.
  • Quit Meter

$340,545.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5341 Hours: 23

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1073 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Elaine. I'm glad to see you haven't given up giving them up! I wish I knew a magic way to get through this, but I don't. It was pure hell...but it's temporary. We started this journey at almost the same time last year. I'm standing here today telling you that we CAN do this. Each person has to find their own path...there IS one out there for you. Look at all the reasons that caused your relapses...learn from them! I know you want the freedom...you just have to decide that you'll go through hell to achieve it. [color=Purple]~bugg huggs~[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 351 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,649 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2316.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 34 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
  • Quit Meter

$52,350.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 916 Hours: 11

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elaine, I hear in your voice that you want to stop but you don't know how. I would like to hear you change "No matter what I do I can't stop" to "I want to find a way to stop." Instead of "No matter hard I try I fail," how about "I can do this." Do you know how I know you can do it? Look at my stats and look at all the people on this site. We are all in different stages and we all have different situations, but the one thing we ALL have in common is a HUGE commitment to quit. It takes knowledge, a positive attitude and firm determination to do it, but it CAN be done. It is hard. It is the hardest thing most of us have ever done. We don't realize what addiction is until we try to stop. But I think that once we face the fact that this is true addiction, not just a bad habit, and we are junkies, not just smokers, then the light starts to appear at the end of the tunnel. Work the program tools over on the left and read as many posts as you can. Ask questions. Learn everything there is to know. Make a plan. But above all, know that this can be done and you can do it! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 445 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1557.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 61 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
  • Quit Meter

$54,724.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 646 Hours: 7

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 64 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No matter what I do I just can't seem to stop smoking! I've tried the patch, thats just a waste of money! It just seems like where ever I go smoking is all around me. I live in New Jersey and the non smoking laws are coming into effect soon. Good thing I don't drink! This is the hardest thing I ever have done in my life! I just feel like crying all the time. No matter how hard I try I fail.
  • Quit Meter

$144,731.63

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5897 Hours: 0

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: