Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

hi....new guy here(rawker)

18 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you all for the welcome and encouragement as it is a help.........hope you are all doing well in your efforts as well as having good days.....will hopefully have a chance to chat with you all at some point....one of the biggest pluses for me besides the room here is that i have a life coach here who has been through this all as well so with all the help i have, it may get tough once in awhile but knowing that the help is available and easy to access will make this more bearable.....id say easy but i understand it isnt......have a good one all.....talk to you soon
18 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello all....nice ta meet you all....which im sure ill evenyually have a chance for. trying to quit for the third or forth time here....looking for any and all advice regarding the simplest of things....like what do ya do after eating to what do ya do when having a coffee.....those seem to be my sticking points and sore spots for now......any suggestions?....looking forward to chatting with ya all [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 46 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
18 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi rawker, welcome to the club, i am a newcomer as well, 3 days, not a single cig!! i just keep telling myself that it is just not worth having that cigarette and that the pros of stopping totally outweigh the cons. after meals, i take a deep breath and ask myself if a cigarette is something i truly NEED and the answer is NO, surprisingly, i have not collapsed from not having a butt after meals, or at times i would normally have a butt. you have to take it one day at a time, and be strong enough to sidetrack yourself (to me it's all about that - for now at least)sidetracking with something else is what totally helps me. personally, i would not say to take a walk because to me - that was a prime time to to have 10000000 cigs in like 5 minutes, however if it works for you......it's all about you, be strong and know that we quit to live, we don't live to quit.....someone on this site sent that to me and i thinks it's a great quote. take care and good luck [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 47 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
  • Quit Meter

$10,553.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 329 Hours: 20

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice to meet you Rawker, I am by no means an expert after 8 days but let me share with you what I have done in these situations. First, after a meal go for a walk or take deep breaths slowly; like you would if you were smoking a real ciggarette. Coffee is tricky. I had to give up caffeine because I couldnt stand the cravings with it. One my second day, I had some and nearly gave up because the draw from caffeine goes hand in hand (at least for me) with smoking. Good luck Rawker. Denisey :) P.S-when all else fails come here and vent. the people here are the best in the world!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 176 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rawker........lets change the language shall we! [quote] trying to quit for the third or forth time here.... [/quote] How about "I've had three or four goes but I'm stopping this time" It's not easy.......but being positive is a big part of it. The coffee? stop drinking it for a while. After eating....well obviously you can't stop that! but you can change what you do afterwards, you will get a crave that lasts for a maximum of three minutes. So change the routine.....and above all read......and read, and then go and read some more, because the more you understand about your drug addiction.......the better the chance of you beating it. We will support you as much as we can and welcome to the site. Mad Englishman [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 321 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �225 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
18 years ago 0 534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rawker, You are going to do fine. One moment at a time is the way you go through this. Try and distract yourself when you can. It can get to be alot of fun. I used to use a YOYO toy for distraction when I first quit. When ever I felt like I [i]needed [/i] a smoke, I would go get it and just toss it up and down until I got tired of doing it. by that time the urge was gone, and I just went about normal things again. gave it up about the time I wore out the 2nd string. Still its on the top of the TV cabinet in case I go crazy some time. My hardest time was in the evening when I was getting ready for bed, I like to read, and I used to smoke alot then. So now I just go there and light a scented candle and breath deep a couple of times. I can do that anytime I want. Keep on doing what you are doing.. it's working. Cheryl [font=georgia][size=4][color=teal]No Joking, I'm Still Not Smoking![/font][/size][/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/4/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 203 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,877 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $578.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brent just handed you a little secret: [color=red][quote] change the routine [/quote][/color] In the past, when you were a smoker, what did you do? Did you sit there at the table and light up? If so, then don't sit there. Get up, go outside, take a little walk, take deep breaths. If that's what you did after dinner before -- you went outside to smoke -- then do something else. Get up, clear the table, make yourself busy. It will only take a few times to reprogram your brain that you don't smoke after eating. Same is true of coffee. Change your cup, change where you sit when you drink it, change it from black to cream, change from coffee to tea. Hopefully, you won't have to give it up entirely, but you might if it threatens your quit. And you should cut back anyway, because the effect of caffiene is heightened in the early days of your quit. Congratulations on getting through Day 1. Now just do it again!!! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 405 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,362 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1417.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 55 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$54,964.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 649 Hours: 1

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rawker, Welcome to our support community! Please take the time to look around and read all the information and use the available tools. Preparation can get you started and can be a key element in your quit. Post often with questions and support and know we are always here for you. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: