Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Lonely and lack of concentration.

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cheri,

It can be a lonely battle sometimes, but you will find strength within as a result of it. 

Also, it doesn't have to be totally lonely. When I first quit, I confided to some known ex-smoker friends. They were good about checking up on my quit from time to time, especially at the beginning. It gave me a chance to express whatever I was going through and celebrate my little victories out loud.

Another source of support is here, obviously. I remember coming on here one time, asking for reasons to stay quit. I was just mentally exhausted from repeatedly trying to talk myself out of another cigarette at that point. (Gosh, it's been a while since I've felt like that, too.  ) i posted here about it, and several people came on and gave me reasons to stay quit. It was like a safety net for me. ...You can come here and do the same, as needed. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,510.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 18

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is lonely,but it will get better.I walk my dog alot an try to think of the money i have saved.This helps

Cherri
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ghasabs,

How is the quit going now?

You are truly doing the right thing by quitting now. You will be so grateful to yourself for doing this.

I kind of understand the lonely part. Not too long ago, I described cigarettes as one of my oldest friends. Pretty sad, huh? Now my oldest inanimate friend is my bicycle. You will get over that uncomfortable, naked, lonely feeling without cigarettes. And you might even find yourself less lonely, as you can now get close to people without worrying about how you smell to them.

Regardless, it is so worth the temporary discomfort to drop the habit.
  • Quit Meter

$22,510.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 18

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Alex!! Brilliant! I wish I had quit when I was 19!!!

Kudos on your decision - it may prove to be a little tricky at the start but you are already over the worst part! The symptoms are normal, just drive on through it to the better life that lies ahead. 

Congratulations again on your decision to quit and your two-week anniversary! Celebrate the fact and just keep on keeping on!

Stay Close & Good Luck!
Penitent 

• Quit Meter

$56,716.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 9

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Alex!!!

Welcome and congrats for making it through Hell and Heck Week!!!  Awesome achievement!  You are well on your way to freedom, buddy!  Be sure to keep telling yourself that you want your quit more than anything and you'll be golden!

As Ashley said, your symptoms are fairly normal this early on in your quit!  Most of us have experienced the same thing!  Don't worry, they should go away soon. 

Be sure to reward yourself or both minor and major achievements!  Quitting is one of the hardest things that you will ever do in your life, so always remember to do something nice for yourself!  You deserve it!

Stick close, continue to read and post and learn how to defeat this addiction!  We're all rooting for you!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,220.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 8

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your support, i really appreciate! :)
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome ghasabs.

I am glad you found us. I think you posted in the right section so no worries

Congratulations on deciding to quit! It sounds like you are experiencing some withdrawal symptoms this is normal and temporary. The dizziness is likely due to the increase in oxyen. You are now absorbing more oxygen through your lungs than your body has been accustomed to. This dizziness may come once or twice a day for a few days. It usually lasts only one or two seconds, and is gone before you have time to do anything about it. Take extra caution when standing up.

Feeling down is also a common withdrawal symptom. When you smoked, nicotine triggered the release of neurotransmitters in your brain. These neurotransmitters are responsible for good mood. When you quit, it isn't uncommon for your mood to take a nose dive.

This case of the blues is temporary and until it passes, there are a few things you can do:

* Exercise as it releases endorphins and these are also conducive to good mood.

* Rewarding yourself with something pleasurable. This triggers the same release of neurotransmitters we mentionned.

* Get outside and get adequate rest as these also affect your mood.

If you have a symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult a doctor. Its possible that your smoking has been masking symptoms of some illness, and when you stop smoking the symptoms abruptly become noticeable.

For more information on withdrawal symptoms check out Session 3 in your program.

Ashley, Health Educator
Hey, thanks for your answer, it is really useful...oh, and yes the fact that i have quitted smoking will be the best present for my birthday.

Thanks again!

11 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ghasabs -  Actually there are no wrong sections for you to join SSC with your already amazing 2 week quit!  Good for you to be motivated to quit for your health - you're young and those lungs should be just fine and back to pink and healthy in no time.  If you check out the program here, you can learn a lot about your body's reactions to getting nicotine out of your system.  After 14 days, you already have shed a lot of toxins and you're well on your way to freedom.  Sounds like you have a good support network, but quitting smoking also does a number on your psyche so it seems a lot of us go through that feeling of loneliness after we quit.  Sometimes it feels like we've given up our best friend!  But don't be fooled! Nictotine is no friend to you - it's ruining your teeth, lungs and sucking up your energy.  And it's tricking you into being 'friends' at regular intervals throughout your day - so you can't live your life, go on a hike or even relax without getting your fix when nicotine comes calling! There are lots of great posts here from many others who've been (and are going through) just what you are right now! Read on, post often and Welcome!  What a Happy Birthday you will give yourself once you are smoke free by March 6!  Good for you! 
wrong section, i'm sorry

Reading this thread: