Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

So this isn?t really a question.. I just couldn?t find anywhere to put this post...

12 years ago 0 147 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The depression is better.. I still have my days where i don't wanna do anything.. The trazodone helped at first but i think they're going to have to give me a higher dose. Seems to not be doing anything to help me sleep. I also have to talk to my Dr. about putting me on a few different other things to make it easier to function. I have an appointment on Tuesday though. Thank you for checking on me. Really means a lot! 
12 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sweetie!

I also masked my depresion with smoking.  How are you doing now with the depression thing????  I couln't sleep either, and my doc gave me a super low dose of Trazodone too. 

Just checking on you.

deb
12 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kristen,

Several changes are going on in your body in addition to withdrawing to the toxic chemicals that smoking introduced.

When you smoked, nicotine triggered the release of neurotransmitters in your brain. These neurotransmitters are responsible for feelings of good mood. When you quit, it isn't uncommon for your mood to sour.

This case of the blues is temporary, and until it passes, there are certainly some things you can do : 
  • Exercise, as this releases endorphins and these are conducive to good mood.
  • Reward yourself with something pleasurable. This triggers the same release of neurotransmitters we mentioned.
  • Get outside and get adequate rest as these factors also affect your mood.
Last but not lease, please feel free to share your experience with us as well as what worked or didn't work for you. 

Finally, remember that we are all here for you! You have our support!

Keep us posted 

Sonia
Yes i did. I had mentioned to her that I've taken these 2 medications before and they've helped. But i was also smoking when i took them too. 
12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kristen, I have read posts by some of the members who attest to the fact that nicotine masked their symptoms of depression. I'm sure the cessation educators  here can steer you in the right direction. Did you mention to your Dr. that you quit smoking recently?
Yesterday I went to see my Dr. First time i've been in almost 2 years... A lot has been going on lately, everyone that reads my posts knows that.. The dr. decided to put me back on Paxil and Trazadone. Both of which are Anti-Depressants, Trazadone just happens to be a sleep aid as well. I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping and i needed something that would help.. I just don't know if feeling down and depressed again has anything to do with quitting smoking? Or if i'm just feeling that way cause my body doesn't know what to think... 

Reading this thread: