Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Quitting Related Depression?

16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly The good news about this is that you are aware of how you are feeling. It might come as a surprise to you, but many people are seem to go through life without a sense of themselves in such a meaningful way... Yes indeed, quitting can put us on a downward emotional spiral. Just think of all the times we used the old thin blue smoke as a blanket to cover our shivering souls. From your posts I know that you recognize how some of us (me included) have self-medicated with nicotine. It is only natural that you will come upon hard times now and again in the state of well being department. I also know from reading your posts that you are very adept at reajusting the old perceptual screen in your good self to recognize what is going on and take corrective action. Scolding yourself is probably just an initial reaction to the state you find your self wandering through at this moment. I do the same thing. And then I realize that hitting myself over the head with it isn't going to stop the hurt... You know how to do this, you know the things you can do to redirect the sadness...In the end life is really worth the trip you know, you just have to sharpen your sense of humour, appreciate the absurdity and know that you are a special person with many gifts to offer...Take the time to appreciate how far you have come and more importantly how many people you have touched in their times of need... I got faith in ya kid, you ain't done yet, in fact, you are actually on the door step of absolute freedom this terrible addiction... Stay well and quit nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 320 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,360.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 58 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$66,717.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1376 Hours: 13

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kelly, You will know my email address from F*c*B**k. I'll talk to you over the weekend if you want All the best [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 634 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 19,020 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �4,755.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 101 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kelly, Welcome to the rollercoaster that affects some of us quitters. I agree it's important to have a positive attitude, but let's face it, there are still days when it is really tough. Kev has been going through something similar, I think. So if this depression lasts for more than a few days, then you should take the depression test at the Depression Center. By all means see your doctor too. If it lifts after 2 or 3 days, then it is probably quit related. Things do start returning to 'normal' (that will be around Day 120), although you will hopefully have plenty of 'Up' days as well (hence the rollercoaster). At day 120, the rollercoaster starts easing off. I am not embarrassed to say that I cried through a lot of month 4 - some of it was laughing (the ups), some of it was not (the downs). Hang in there, you are doing so fabulously well. And you have a great attitude! Lizzie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/23/2003 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1661 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24,915 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �6,228.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 166 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$8,877.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 785 Hours: 8

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly, I also when thru the depression, CHOCOLATE!!! it truely helps. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 93 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,209 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $465.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kelly, iam glad you are feeling better, i use to call this getting into some strange FUNK, i always hated it, but it too gets better with time, Just hang tough, you are a quitter for sure :) Hugs Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1918 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 38,360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,713.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 270 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
  • Quit Meter

$14,609.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 690 Hours: 1

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kelly, be careful about St John's Wort! Great effects- but I was told (not SURE) that it can lessen the effect of the pill. So if you are taking the pill for contraception... Cat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]10/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 374 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �86.02 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to everyone for posting! I appreciate all of your responses. I really do. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 75 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,250 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $438.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Kelly, And your last line tells me you are fine - same old Kelly humour and that is good to see. Hang around and I'll dig out some "depressed" posts if you want to see them - probably best not under the circumstances! You're feeling a bit down at the moment and that is normal when quitting and it is great that you recognize what is happening to you - that is half the battle. There is a BIG difference between being a little down and being clinically depressed. Go to the doc if you would like to - there is nothing wrong with that but on top of that, do something really nice for Kelly because Kelly on day 75 deserves something nice! Yup Kelly, a big reward is due here and it can be so uplifting! You are a great asset to this site and I would hate to know that you are suffering. Time for Kelly to put Kelly first! Good Luck and many congratulations on 75 smokefree days! That is BIG and so are you!!! Penitent d1269 :)
  • Quit Meter

$56,958.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1128 Hours: 2

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Kelly Belly Do you mean you're feeling feelings you haven't allowed yourself to feel for a long time at an intensity you're not used to dampening with a cig or 20? Or are you feeling just blah? No energy? If the first, I think that is very common..happened to me a few times...and to quite a few of us. We're all learning how to deal with life without running and hiding behind that smoke screen. If the second, listen to Lainey and Mercy. Our neurotransmitters are so out of whack. Vitamin B, and maybe St John's Wort, might give you the little boost you need. If none of that works, book a flight to Hawaii..we'll go play in the ocean ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 231 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,570.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 32 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly, its okay to not be perfect. No one can be positive all the time. I do wish we could. I was depressed early in my quit and the minute somthing unexpected happened down I would go. I don't have that many days on you but I can tell you I have felt different just the last two weeks. I have had a hard time with feeling like something was wrong. Finally I am beginning to feel like something is right. Day by day it gets better. N.O.P.E. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 127 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $508.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34

Reading this thread: