Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

What makes us go back?

16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The last time we failed and went back to smoking was when we had some tension going on between us that lasted on/off for about a week. We were sitting in a smoky restaurant when she asked me, "So, should we get a pack of cigarettes or a divorce?". She was joking about the divorce thing but admit the tension was tough as we were on our 3rd week or so. We bought a pack and smoked that night. Oh yeah we were happy happy happy then but now back to our old stinky selves. Now looking back I am disgusted that we had gone so long without a cigarette and then started up again. What were we thinking! I think what drives people back to smoking is NOT the cravings but as a escape, not much different than any other drug when you think of it. I would rather take 1/2 Chantix if I get to that point. THERE IS NO WAY I WILL EVER GO BACK TO SMOKING NO MATTER WHAT!! Lucky for us we have the SCC! According to my doctor a support group with friends like we have here is VERY POWERFUL and influential on the success of our quit. I am so glad I found this website and have the opportunity to meet you guys. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 122 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,050 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $427.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
16 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Greger I have always believed that the reason for my existance is to figure out the reason for my existance...Now there is an eternal circle for you...I smoked for a long time in order to deflect, negate and sometimes to ignore things about myself that I either did not comprehend or that where to painful to acknowledge... This time, I have decided that in reality, I am alright, in a rough hewn sort of way. Yes, I have had my dissappointments, at times I have believed in others with too much certainty and have paid the price. I have failed in some ventures and had great success in others. Now, I just believe in me and that there is a silent invisible river that carries us all along through the good, the bad and the ugly of being a human being...It is that river that connects us all in a very real way, even though we are not always conscious of its existance. The one thing I will not do in order to honor the reality of that river is to knowingly hurt myself or others. Smoking is a terrible way of inflicting damage on one's own person...It is for that reason that I will never go back... The answer to the question of "what makes us go back?" is that we will never go back once we have accepted ourselves as flawed yet honest brokers in a beautiful yet imperfect world...Tats da way I see it anyway... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 251 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,530 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,757.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
16 years ago 0 533 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thinking: I can just have one. I can have one and it will make it better. I can have a few and then I will stop. What difference does it make. I've smoked this long why bother quiting. I need one. I'm an addict I have to have one. I'm not strong enough to quit. It's to hard not to smoke. I will/am gain/gaining to much weight. But I can just have one. NOT!!! Always remember: Nope One day at a time. Halt breathe deep be proud, be loud ?Lolo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 260 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $58.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey happy heart, I havent' "been bad" for almost 100 days..and to me, it is alot more than being bad..it is the difference between being an addict for the rest of my life, or being free for the rest of my life. Get this done, NOW while you are young. Quitting smoking is serious business, get serious about quitting. I'll be cheering you on in five days...you can do it! new me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 97 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,328 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $485.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
Hi Greger, Great thread..and yes, this time can be different. Quitting smoking is NOT for wimps! The physical withdrawal (compared to some addictive drugs) is minimul. It is the mental addiction that is the Bi^&* when it comes to quitting...all those mental triggers/associations that we have to smoking; they die alot slower. Quitting is mostly in our minds. When we can say NO, I am not going to smoke, no matter how stressed I am, no matter how I feel, no matter how irritable I get, no matter how many craves I have today....then we have the committment to be successful on this journey to freedom from nicotine. It is the mental decision to not smoke..once you allow yourself to have just one; that resolve is weakened and the addiction is reawakened because you fed it some nicotine. You and quignov are almost done with your first two weeks! btw, quignov, when i read your hobbies I lmao! Have you ever accidently done that..drank out of a pop can with a butt in it?...ugh...the worst, almost as bad as spoiled milk! You all stay close to the site..recommitt yourself every morning to this journey to freedom. We do not need to poison ourselves with cig smoke in order to live and be happy. That is insane! Take it one day at a time and post before you would ever consider smoking a cig. You all can do this. new me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 96 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,304 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $480.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I once had a 2 year quit going. When did I start back up? literally in the middle of moving across country, by myself, on my motorcycle. I guess that was a combination of stress and lonliness? Maybe I wanted my old buddy, a cigarette, back again? Beat's me, but that really upset me. It has taken me 3 years to quit again... and I really HATE them dang cig's !!! like you pointed out greger.... "this time is different".... NOPE cheers [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 248 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm seeing a recurring theme here that is really encouraging. [b]This time is different[/b] I'm going to put those words close to my heart and remember. This time is different. I was never just a smoker, I was an addict, am an addict, will always be one. Right now I'm weak, I'm tired, I'm taking a beating from this but there is no way I'm giving in. Not now. Not ever. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 312 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Every quit that I've lost has been me fooling myself. I KNEW I would go back to smoking full-time, just couldn't admit it to myself before I had that first one. If I had been able to, it would have been a different story. Just goes to prove how wiley that junkie is. She will convince you , even thought you KNOW she's lying, that it's jsut for now. When I started again as a young mother of 2 babies, it was just for now, something I don't have to share. I'm so stressed out & nobody understands. I'll quit when I go back to work. LIE. When I worked in a smoky environment, well I can't stand the smell unless I do it myself ( SERIOUSLY), so I'll just smoke on breaks. LIE When my father died, I need to smoke to feel close to him & to get over this grief. I'll quit again when I get home. LIE On & on. I knew every single time that the lie was a lie & I chose to believe it rather than face the hard work of learning how to live with myself without addiction. So, what made me go back? I wasn't ready to get on the road to me until this quit & everything is different this time. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,180 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,199.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
16 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
New Me, Sound like you havent been bad in a while! haha How long has it been since you had your last? GOOD LUCK!! To your question on my post. I slowly went back to smoking! My 11 year old daughter does competitive chearleading, and we were in east St. Louis lost! My husband and I were argueing and we were stressed out. I said If I had a cig I would actually smoke it right now! Well without me knowing he had a pack hidden in the truck! Just so you know he quit when I did over two years ago!! We smoked one. The next day was rough too. I said whats one more today? Everyday for a week I said that after that trip. My mother told me it was stupid! (she smokes) That it is way to easy to get hooked again. I said no one a day is fine. IT WAS NOT!! Each day I craved a few more. Until I was smoking full time again. I know now once I quit again. Having one every now and then is not OK! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] -75 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $-19.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] -25002
  • Quit Meter

$22,717.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4673 Hours: 6

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I know that everytime I went back it was because I was having a crave and just wanted a cig so badly...because I was so addicted to nicotine. But, I have never had a quit that lasted over 3 months. Now, after two years of off/on and every NRT known to man, I have finally found the inner strength to overcome those kinds of craves. I may cry, I may feel like s%#$, I may lay in bed and stare at the tv, I may be grouchy, I may feel like doing nothing, but, now, I do not smoke. As lady said, I do not know if I have another quit in me. That scares me to the bone. And that is a big reason that I have the resolve to stay quit right now. We can all find our way, no matter how long it takes; just do not quit quitting. new me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 95 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,280 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $475.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10

Reading this thread: