Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Raised in a smoking household ?

16 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes... my mum (my dad hasn't been around since I was 5) smoked all through my life and still smokes 2 packs a day at age 70. She smoked when pregnant with all of us kids and I swear I was an addict as a pretty small kid. Her parents both smoked. Her only sibling, my aunt, smoked. My only sibling smokes (though she quit for years... she's just gone back to it). Smoking most definitely runs in families in my experience. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 93 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,790 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,116.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 174 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My answer to this one is yes and no....let me explain. My parents got divorced when i was 2 years old. My mom quit smoking when i was about 7 years old. She's the one who raised me. However, my dad smoked (he still does) but he lives a few hours away from me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/2/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi kiwi (you're stats look fabulous btw), I guess I'm going to through off your numbers. Neither of my parents smoked, none of their friends and none of the extended family that I saw on a consistent basis. I started at 14 and smoked a pack a day for 15 years and actually taught my older brother how to smoke when I was about 15. Gross. Let us know when the numbers get published!
  • Quit Meter

$36,978.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 639 Hours: 14

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Both of my parents smoked, my mother still does, and BOTH always told me not to! A prime example of "Do as I say, not as I do" [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] -60 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $-12.63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] -17172
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
very interesting topic my dad smoked...a lot, my mom didnt [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 144 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,760 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $979.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, both my parents smoked. There was always the smell of smoke in the house and I believe I would have withdrawals when I was at school though I didn't realize what they were at the time. I would welcome the smell of smoke when I came across it; it smelled like home. I started smoking around 16 and didn't let my parents know for months after I was smoking regularly. All my friends and their parents smoked so it was the thing to do. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 150 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $630.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nope, My mom quit when I was young and my dad was a closet smoker for most my life. I was a closet smoker too and all my kids took up the habit. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 203 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,060 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $907.41 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 64 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was also raised in a smoking household. I had permission to smoke at home when I was 15. So I guess you can say I've been smoking all my life! My family still smokes. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
  • Quit Meter

$144,760.31

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5898 Hours: 3

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Me too. Both my parents & all their friends & relatives were heavy smokers. I grew up in some pretty remote parts of the country. No TV or phone, so there was a lot of socializing at people's houses or backyards. Musicians, potluck, that kind of thing. Everybody smoked. I remember going to town for groceries, doctor visits, etc. It seemed onde parent would put one out & the other would light up so there was always somebody smoking in the car. My mom would have her ladies over for coffee or a tupperware party or whatever & the first thing they would do when they arrived was pull a pack out of their purse & light up. My dad always had a smoke out the side of his mouth while he went about his chores. I was fascinated as a little kid wondering how it stayed there even when he talked or laughed. Later, in foster homes, same thing. Everybody smoked all the time. In fact, the Christmas I was 14, one of my gifts was 2 cartons & a lighter. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 91 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,001.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
16 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also was raised in a smoking house and when ever my family got together (large irish family) the air was so thick with smoke you could hardly see. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 52 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $20.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53

Reading this thread: