Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Raised in a smoking household ?

16 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
keep it coming people, this post is getting trendy :8o: Things don't look too good in respect to our aging cigarette smoking family members. we're not painting a pretty picture here [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 969 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 33,915 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,298.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 138 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$12,506.22

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 19

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Neither of my parents smoked and I got my butt busted and grounded the first time I got caught about age 13. No one in my family smoked but my Dad and my Grandmother dipped snuff.From a family of six children three including me smoked. I have two children and they both smoked. They both quit when pregnant with thier children and then started back. Now they both have been quit for 3 and 5 years.My husband's family all smoked. His grandfather, father and Aunt all died with lung cancer. He still smokes. Go figure on this one. [color=blue]BLUE CLOUD[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 55 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $220.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
16 years ago 0 155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My dad was a heavy smoker (4 packs a day). Mom never smoked, but rest of the family did. My sister smokes. My husband's mom and dad both smoked and three of their four boys took it up. Want to hear something really scary? My 8-year-old daughter is why I initially decided to quit. She has always hated that I smoked. She always hated the smell, etc. I caught her last week with a pencil in her hand acting like she was smoking. Needless to say, I felt guilt beyond anything I had felt before in my life. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,925 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $385.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
16 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Studies have shown that extended exposure to second hand smoke physiologically prepares children to be more easily addicted should they eventually experiment with smoking. Growing up in a smoking home also psychologically conditions children to be more accepting of the act of smoking because the role models do it. So it makes it easier to experiment because the social barriers are not there (or not as strong) and, once begun, easier to become addicted. Got kids (or planning to)? Quit now!! Do not allow the sins of the parents to be visited upon the children. (jeez, that sounded preachy didn't it? you get the point, I'm sure) ElderOne [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 827 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,919.98 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 150 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My whole family smoked, 8/10 smokers, My parents were pretty inventive.(for the 70's) They offered us, as preteens, $100.00, if we didn't smoke until we were 21. Three kids collected, one of them started smoking after that and still smokes. Now, four of them are gone and only two smokers remain. My hubby's family, they still all smoke except for Hubby and one sister. My father in law has had four kinds of cancer, and is basically on his death bed. He still smokes. Makes you wonder what it takes to open your eyes. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 176 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,856.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 248 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My dad was the smoker in the house and was never able to quit. He was a strong man, a smart man and was a total slave to tobacco until it finally killed him. Of us four kids I am the only one to take up the habit. All my dads siblings smoked except one all died from it, dad from a heart attack, his brother from cancer, his sister from emphysema they all died at around 70 the one that never smoked lived to be 94. I dreamed last night that I was smoking. What brand? MY DADS BRAND! a freaking pack of Salems which I could never tolerate. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 264 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $46.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
16 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My father quit when we were young. My mother smoked all her life, until she got alzheimers. When she reached stage 3, we told her that she quit smoking and she didn't know any better. For the next two weeks one of the only sentences that came out of her mouth was "I'm nervous, I'm nervous." I knew it was from the nicotine withdrawal. She died within a year. Her smoking got progressively worse as she got older, until she was practically smoking one after the other. I have 3 sisters; they all smoked but have all quit..2of them at least 10+ years ago, and me and my younger sister both quit this year. My youngest sibling, who is my only brother, never smoked in his life. He did smoke alot of waky tabacky though. My other sisters have other addictions. Maybe addictive personalities run in families..whether it be cigarettes, alchohol, drugs, shopping, sex, food, drugs, etc. that's my story. new me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 93 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,232 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $465.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
16 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Guess this tobacco thing is more of a generation thing & it's up to us to break the cycle & make shure the next lot aren't as stupid as us ! good for you bear. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 968 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 33,880 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,292.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 138 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
  • Quit Meter

$12,506.22

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 19

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My mom smoked, my dad did not(has never). My mother quit when I was about 10 for probably 7 years. Then she started up again. I used to make fun of her for smoking and never in a million years thought I would every smoke....ha funny. My grandma (mom's mom) also smoked...one right after another non stop for probably 55 years. My grandma quit about 8 years ago and my mom is still smoking away. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 580 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $130.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You want smokers I'll give you smokers. My Mom & Dad both smoked my Mom quit when I was 10.My Dad quit when he died of cancer I was 14. My Dads brothers (4) all smoked plus his 2 sisters and all ended up in the ground with smoke related diseases.My grandfather also smoked.Would'nt this family make a great study for science and here's the best part I have 2 children my sons 40 my daughters 42 and neither one has ever smoked ??? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 148 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,664 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,480.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11

Reading this thread: