Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Cigs and alcohol, same or different?

16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OOPS, and Sparky. I hate when I do that. Thanks to you too, Sparky. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 82 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $902.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
16 years ago 0 710 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I fully agree with you unhooked, you three are so wonderful to open up and share with us, thank you, makes me feel so much closer to all, we are such a great family! many hugs and prayers, Bobbi [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 128 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,840 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $320.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
There are some very brave people here. Trish, Gen, joyful, thanks for sharing your stories. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 81 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,620 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $891.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
16 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It has been my experience that all people are different. I come from a long, long line of addicts. I have seen them all from one extreme to another. I don't think that there is one person in my family that is not or has not struggled with a major addiction. My mom has been struggling with a drug addiction for several years (20+ years). She needs the support and the constant reminders to stay sober that meetings and 12 stepping provides. My dad on the other hand, hates the idea of going to a meeting and refuses to do so. He went to prison for a drug related offense in 1989, got out in 1996. He has been sober since 1989. No meetings, no 12 stepping. It wasn't his first trip to prison either, so it's not like that was the wake up call or anything. Each person is different! It is crazy to think that what works for one will work for all!! Some of the people I have talked to about quitting smoking looked at me like I was crazy when I said I had physical and emotional withdrawal symptoms. They were able to quit without incident. I have never had a problem with alcohol, I can take it or leave it. That does not mean that the addiction is any less severe for someone else. It would be naive of me to think that way. Trish [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $120.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Appropriate this should come up now because only last night I was thinking that, generally, I have found the stopping smoking 'easier' than the stopping drinking. I first smoked at around age 9/10 and started drinking in pubs from around 15. I then kept both up for about 35 years in one shape or form. I gave up smoking for about a year once and then went back but on cigars - and only when I was drinking..... This meant I drank most of the time. I drank to the point of admission to hospital on the brink of death. I still remember the halucinations clearly. It had it's funny moments. Scary ones too. That was 4 years ago next week. I stopped smoking 4 months ago YIPEEEE and I find it hard not to have any crutch to lean on at times of stress (except literally when I had my feet done and I was on crutches for 6 weeks LOL) but I feel great now about not smoking. Yesterday was a long day - hard on the mending feet, lots going on etc and at 5 pm I suddenly felt the usual need for my reward. Something to relax with and end the day and realized then it was a drink I wanted not a cigarette. I am now 'used' to not drinking but the not smoking is still, to some exent, a novelty which I still enjoy. So for me the pull of alcohol is still there but not the nicotine. Gen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 127 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,032 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �635.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Me three Unhooked and Penitent!! They're both chemical and mental addictions and I suspect alcoholism is no walk in the park to beat. You've got to be able to laugh at it and yourself. If you find yourself crying then pick yourself up, dust yourself off and find a way to the happy side. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 140 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,800 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $588.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
Well-said, Penitent. Cutting through it as always. I'm with you on the happy side! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 81 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,620 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $891.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 710 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow yes this has become very interesting! The friend I spoke of did drink, gave that up but still smokes says she can't quit and really doesn't want to, her husband even has copd and he also smokes, but again they have to want to she thinks it is wonderful I have so maybe in time she and hubby will follow me, I sure pray they do, and yes joyful spirit I did read all your post, was great, also I am up some at night so if you are in the IM, I am I will add you to my list and maybe we could chat at those times? unhooked just saw your pict. I have a very beautiful adopted sister! hugs and prayers, Bobbi [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 128 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,840 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $320.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's all sturm and drang for some but for others it's as simple as saying "I'm not going to that any more" - end of! We shouldn't lose sight of that fact or create a monster where there might not be one. These are the two extremes and everybody falls between them somewhere. Fortunately, I was way past halfway on the happy side. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/18/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1171 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 23,420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5,855.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 188 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
  • Quit Meter

$56,826.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1125 Hours: 12

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all :) Looks like Bobbi opened a bag of worms, lol. I liked your .02 unhooked & nice to see what you look like,,,nice pic :) Wow Sparky, Congrats on your 30yrs in sobriety & your 3 mos & 3 days smoke-free,,,,,,,WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Quitting smoking has also been much more difficult for me to quit than drinking. A nurse is the one that told me that cig's are harder to quit than heroine. But statistics are one thing. Of course everyone is and individual and has different experience's. I've heard many people share that the reason they relapsed was b/c they stopped going to meetings. And I believe if i'd stayed active with the support on this site that I wouldn't have relapsed with smoking. Anyhow, yes JDK there are many people who are not social drinkers and never get help. It's really sad. When I was in the army I saw plenty of people who were not social drinkers. It's too bad that the knowledge is not out there in flashing lights on billboards for all to see. If there were as many billboards, commercials and advertisements giving knowledge rather than promoting drinking more people would be living a much happier life. I know that if life wasn't better without drinking then I would have gone back to it by now b/c I use to love to drink. So yes stadiums are filled with drunks, lol. If u listen to & pay attention to the way people act when their drunk, you will see a lot of immaturity b/c they are not emotionally grown up. Anyhow, I don't know if this will be my forever quit with drinking or smoking. But I do know that the only way to fail is to never try. So I am giving it my best. Knowing how good life is without drinking kinda gives me an edge on knowing how giving up an addiction can be the best thing that ever happened to me. As far as people that quit and stop going or never actually went to any meetings or support groups, I doubt that there are many. I only say that b/c if 1 out of 10 people that go to a recovery home make it for life, then what are the odds for people who try to do it on their own. I know that if I kept doing things on my own I would be drinking. There are people that relapse after 25yrs of sobriety. I'm not sure about smoking. But my personal opinion...is that we're all here on this earth for a reason and nothing happens by coincidence. We all see right and wrong differently and believe differently. I don't think any 2 people see everything the same way. That's what makes this world so interesting. Not one of us is alike. We are all unique & not one person in this world is better than another. And no one is anyone to judge another person. I know I have issues with being pushy & feeling out of control due to fears, trust issues etc. I think often about the statistics about 1 out of 10 people making it for life in sobriety b/c there were 40 people in our recovery home and that means that only 4 people out of 40 will make it for life and I know some that have already died of overdose. The disease of addiction is a terrible killer. All we have is each other to lean on and learn from. Life shouldn't be so bad that we feel we are living to "survive". I use to use the saying that "I'm a survivor" but the truth is that if I wasn't putting myself in the position to hurt myself all the time I never would have felt like I had to work so hard to survive. Point being, "I'm not a survivor" anymore. I'm living my life and enjoying it as much as possible due to my character defects and my ability for acceptance. I hate that I have trust, abandoment, co-dependant & control issues. Sometimes I feel like giving up b/c I also suffer from low self esteem, depression & anxiety. But on the other hand knowing my problems is half the battle, or so they say, lol. I also talk/type a lot, which some people see as a character defect, including me sometimes. But I'm just in here typing my A$$ off tonight, well 3:30am, b/c I have so much on my mind that I'm not ready to go to sleep & b/c it is helping me to escape from some tough feelings that I'm going through right now. I'm very surprised that I've made it through this past week without smoking. Miracle's do happen :) I wonder if anyone will read all this, lol. Life's not about perfection it's about progress. Keep on keeping on....... Keep coming back b/c it works if u work it and u should cuz you're worth it :) If u point your finger at someone, there's 4 pointing back at you. Keep it simple, stupid. LOL just some sayings us addicts say. Have a blessed day or night wherever u are :) Just breathe....... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/7/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $124.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$26,766.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 585 Hours: 17

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: