Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

What does "Ready" to quit mean?

17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And each day I stay "stopped" the more valuable it becomes to me... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 930 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $128.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
You know, I have let several New Year's resolution years pass me by but this year I set the hook, much because I was encouraged by a new aid (Chantix). I see many folks come back here after a good long quit that failed because they "were not ready". I'm afraid I might be one of those. I am stubborn to not smoke and feel I have endured some pretty big triggers with the help of this site. What does it mean to not be ready? Do you have to see someone die from smoking or can you just want to be a non-smoker? I feel this is the fine line of resolve for many including myself. Tough question I know, maybe that's why this site exists...For the minute by minutes and day by days. :quest: I don't want to be a comeback kid. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 917 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $126 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
Good answer Imallclear. You are smart... You saw me struggling in the first few days and dragged me to my first parade. Do you remember? "Meet me in the stats section" you said. It was like virtual reality to me (I don't do computer games). Really, you're right :8|: Audrey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 975 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $134.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
BTW, I'm assuming this little hand symbol is a "high five" and not a "stop" signal. Anyway, really what I got from all of you is what I forget to recognize and appreciate, and that is my STATS! That's a long time. The longest I ever quit before was 6 months. And it was different. I was slapping that patch on just waiting for it to enter my bloodstream. This Chantix involves no nic. What will happen when I finish the prescription remains to be seen. I'll stay very, very, very close! As previous posts encouraged, no matter what the catalyst to quit was, the main thing now is that I have quit for this long and that I protect it with all my life. I had a very real smoking dream last night and I lit up very easily. Fortunately it was a dream. In waking hours I know what I want and that is to continue down this path of freedom. I am pretty well in control of my exposure to triggers. In May I will go to a wedding with family that smokes, and we party pretty well together. Getting through THAT will certainly set off a parade, even if I have to start it myself. xxxooo Audrey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 937 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $128.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I "quit" a few times last summer. I wouldn't even really call it a quit. I didn't try to stay quit. I wasn't READY I guess. This past winter something inside me told me to give it a real try. So I really quit. I educated myself on what was going on and would happen to my body as I did not smoke and receive nicotine. During my web search I found this website 7 days into my quit. I have worked at staying quit, now I want to stay quit, I am dedicated to staying quit, I will do what it takes to stay quit, I believe in myself, and I care enough for myself to quit. This time I was READY. That is what "ready" means to me. You are doing good and I believe you can do this too. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 809 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $222.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Audrey, For me, "being ready" meant I was tired of making up excuses to smoke and I wanted to quit for ME. The main thing "being ready" meant to me was that I was and am willing to suffer whatever hardships, withdrawals, cravings, etc. so that I can live a longer, healthier life. I was and am still willing to do whatever it takes to stay quit. When I really decided to quit was when I got so, so tired of making plans or decisions around my smoking. Do you know, I've even turned down invitations to do something fun because I didn't want to offend anyone with my cigarette smoke. I got so sick of being embarrassed, people looking at me when I smoked as if I was stupid or trashy, tired of worrying about bad smoker's breath, tired of bad smelling clothes, tired of worrying about dying young and leaving my family here to grieve, and so sick of burning money up in an ashtray. That list can go on and on. I'd get a sore throat that wouldn't go away for a good while and get scared to death that I'd damaged my throat or vocal cords with cigarette smoke. Cancer runs rampant in my family on my father's side. I'd get a cough that wouldn't go away and, you got it, start worrying about lung cancer. I got so sick of being short winded, coughing during the night or whenever I laughed hard, and it really embarrassed that I was starting to have the "smoker's voice." You know, that voice that sounds like you have gravel stuck in your throat.....really gruff sounding. In a nutshell, I got sick and tired of the constant, relentless worry and frustration. Smoking was worse than lugging around a ball and chain. It was absolutely exhausting. As hard as quitting is, and it is real hard, this is nothing compared to all that aggravation, embarrassment, frustration and worry that came from smoking. I reckon what you have to ask yourself is, "Okay, maybe I wasn't ready to quit for myself when I did, I don't know that for sure. But now that I have quit, do I want to stay quit? Am I willing to do whatever it takes to STAY quit?" I think that's what you have to focus on Audrey. You've already quit and it's a great quit. Question is, do you want to stay a Non Smoker and do whatever it takes? You really have a great quit going. I sure hope you hang in th
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Audrey. Great Post. Never doubt your ability. You have shown great character. In fact, I'm gonna make a reservation for you on the SSC cruise ship in the stats section. You've more than earned a mental relaxation voyage with your (as of tomorrow) 50 days smoke-free. :) :) :) :) :)I think of quitting smoking as learning to roller skate. You start off shaky, take your share of falls, then take off like a shot. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 67 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 673 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $335 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Is this the gist of your question? "I see many folks come back here after a good long quit that failed because they "were not ready"." I would have to say that I think people who smoke after a good long quit do so not b/c they were not ready. They (myself included) do so b/c for a variety of reasons, Ol' Nic got the best of them; a lot of times involving coping mechanisms that became insignificent for old/new situations. Becaue I failed at mataining a quit, does that mean I shouldn't have done those smoke-free 11 years? I'm not even counting all my baby quits of 2-3 months here and there. Should I have smoked until I had a green "I'm ready" light? To me that's like saying you don't take a job until you're ensured that you'll retire happy from it, or have children until you're guarenteed they will be happy and successful into old age, or not getting involved in a relationship until you know beyond any doubt that together you will grow and continue to stare lovingly into each others eyes for the next 50 years. To be ready to quit is to get to a point of not putting a cigarette in your mouth at a time when you would otherwise do so. Every not smoked cigarette = strength - strength of character, of health of gumption to fight the urge to smoke 20 minutes later. And so on until the minutes add up and the not smoked cigarettes add up. If a quit fails down the line, that smoke-free time is not lost. You just pick up and go again, knowing you can do it as long as Ol Nic is not in the driver seat. I think the key words here are "good long". For anyone to get to a point of "good long" is a good thing. And if you really don't want to be a come-back kid - you won't. You have shown that you are more that ready. You're on to the "set, GO". [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 665 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $330 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Tutti - Most of your post looks like it came right out of my head. I was sick and tired of smoking for years before I actually quit. The reason I didn't quit earlier is because I was sure that I would fail. We are "ready" to quit when I desire to quit is stronger than our desire to smoke. Sometimes we slip or fall when we lose that desire. Unfortunately, it's often because we forget how miserable we were as Smoker's. The quitting process gets easier as time passes....but I believe there will always be afew hurdles along the way. Congrats on 45 days! No...you don't need to see someone die but you have to start to realize the benefits of quitting. You have been "enduring" for a long time...perhaps it's time to get out and reward yourself for all the hard work you have done! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 173 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,473 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $865 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Audrey Quit? You mean stop there is nothing to quit!! Everybody will be ready on Tuesday!! Phil xxx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 207 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,349 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1086.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 41 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49

Reading this thread: