Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,531 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Anybody found new ways to relax?

17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a few that work for me. Especially in the beginning. 1).... I went to bed really early and snuggled up with me little dog and watched TV in bed. It put a finality to the day...and got my mind off of wanting a cigarette. 2).....whenever I wanted a cigarette I would go into the website whyquit.com (that website will curb any urge) 3)....power walks works wonders...(well it worked great in past quits...but they weren't in the dead of winter with below zero wind chills....haha but I did walk today!! 4).... if there is any bible people in here..... reading the bible works for me everytime!!!!! Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 557 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $120.69 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, How it's so easy for us to forget about reading the Bible when everything is going well. Thanks for the reminder. I needed it. I'm ashamed that I needed it but, I thank you so much. Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 609 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $39 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi serenity I remember at the beginning of my quit, it seemed impossible that anything could be as rewarding and relaxing as nicotine. I think that's why I had such a hard time with the ideas of "rewards" but now I love to sit and enjoy my fruit smoothie and I love to crawl into bed early with my remote control. These are my new "treats" at the end of a hectic day. I hope you find your "relaxing activity" soon too. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 156 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,137 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $780 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just wondered. Most of the time I never really think about smoking. I am a non-smoker. End of. Occassionally I get a crave but hey - it's usually momentary discomfort at worst that I know will pass fairly quickly. Way less than a contraction for instance! What I do miss though, is feeling relaxed. really deeply relaxed. You know what I mean? The best cigarette of the day for me from when I had children, was once they were in bed at night and I'd done my tyding up type stuff. I could sit down with either a pot of tea or a glass of wine, light my cig., and just feel that the day was done and I was relaxed and relaxing. I can't ever seem to get that feeling now. Is it a time thing or has anybody found new ways to get it? S [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,333 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �396 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You need a new habit. Mine was the same, a nice glass of wine and a half pack of cigarettes to get over the day's stresses. I'll be glad when I can have just a glass of wine. I tried once and had a crave so bad, I was looking under furniture for a forgotten butt. Maybe a glass of wine and a little bit of reading. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 586 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $190 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
serenity 2 I have always believed that one thing I used nicotine for was to recognize my efforts. For example, I had one as soon as got in the van after work, or anytime I had accomplished some major task. Instead of telling myself "good job", I had a cigarette instead. I try now to often say to myself "good job" and give myself a pat on the back because you can't always depend on someone else doing it for you. At the end of the evening, sit down with your pot of tea and give yourself a pat on the back. Recognize yourself and your efforts...they are very important. I sense that what you were saying was that there was something missing...maybe your missing giving yourself the attention you deserve. Giving ourselves reward are a way to achieve this, but we need to be able to applaud ourselves...this is one tough job, and you, my friend our doing great. I Give you a PAT ON THE BACK! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/10/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 717 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $402.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
  • Quit Meter

$330,401.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6026 Hours: 20

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hot tea like chamimille, or sleppy time, a good hot bubble bath, an candles works for me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $48 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
  • Quit Meter

$908,320.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 19

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 382 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Serenity, Congratulations on your 66 days. You sound amazingly relaxed to me and coping really well....far better than I was at the same stage! That deep feeling of relaxation does take its time to come, but it will. This is why we all go on about rewards. The relaxation comes from the release of brain chemicals. We gave ourselves that 'reward' at night, and it released the chemicals and infused us with a feeling of well-being.....I remember the feeling! After quitting we need to reward ourselves often with other things. I still had my glass of wine, but sucked on my straw or plastic tube at the start. After that, I had long soaks in the bath or played a relaxation tape....there are lots of rewards, which I am sure you know. I now feel a more general relaxation throughout the day, and rarely try for the late night 'chill!' I do think that time is also a factor. As your quit progresses, and you reward yourself often the relaxation will deepen....whether it will ever feel exactly the same as with a cigarette remains to be seen. I'm sure you will hear lots from others on site. Did I read somewhere that you are from Bonnie Scotland? I am Scots too....but I live in France now. More power to you as you continue to mount up the days....you are doing brilliantly!!! Lolly. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/25/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 811 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 28,411 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �4055 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 114 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$11,088.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 693 Hours: 19

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well S2, a bottle of Bells always sent me to sleep!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/18/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1005 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 20,104 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5025 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 163 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$56,826.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1125 Hours: 13

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: