Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,660 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA

new medication...

17 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I am pea. I am on day 3....and having a much better day than yesterday. I have a question for any of you who quit using this drug (chantix). I did notice that 2 days before I quit I was smoking half of what I normally did...that the chantix just kind of eliminated some of the desire. Two years ago I quit cold turkey for 3 months. I also have noticed that I am not wanting to eat as much as did when I quit last time. Actually my appetite is no different than normal. have some of you had this similar experience with this drug??? And when you go off of it...what happens? And does anyone know exactly how the drug works???? I know it inhibits the receptors in the brain from releasing the dopamine into your system when you smoke....but does it also release dopamine on it's own. I am just a little worried about the adjustment when I go off. I know over eating releases dopamine....so now I am begging to think it is really dopamine that is my real drug of choice. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 45 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 158 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pea, I experienced some of what you mentioned in your note, I did lose a desire to smoke after my 3rd 0.5mg pill. Regarding the length of the program, etc, your doctor should have/will explain that to you. Good luck, I am on my 18th or 19th day and crusing right along...Mr.Magic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 373 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $40.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pea, Chantix user here too. Same for me: A little weight gain, but its OK I'm in my 8th week on the med and love it. I was a cold-turkey quitter once (never again) the withdrawal is over, the craves and triggers are over. Now...I just continue the med to get me into my new habits of not smoking. I will take the med through the duration prescribed (at least 12 wks) Another member said the same thing about stopping Chantix like gonnadoit says, a little edgy for a few days and that was it! Will be a whole different Quit than Cold-Turkey for sure. Dopamine may be the answer...LOL auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,185 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $204.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Pea! And welcome to the SSC! I'm a chantix user also, nice to meet you! Yes, I did notice that while taking chantix (prior to quit) I smoked far less than normal! No, I did not experience a normal appetite in the beginning of my quit! Quite the opposite, I had the appetite of a dozen people! BUT that has leveled off and I'm pretty much back to normal eating habits now. Now as for how the drug works, the drug manufacturer has a wonderful explanation on its website with graphics! I have now begun the second 12 week prescription and plan to follow the program to the end. Congratulations on your lovely 3 days!!!! Debbie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 105 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,114 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $393.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 318 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pea, I used Chantix no problems with the pill. Just myself. I am still eating like 2 people and have gained much weight. It is worth it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 144 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,227 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1440 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Pea! I had a wonderful experience with the Chantix. The only thing I noticed when I stopped the pill was I was just a bit edgy for a day or two---however, I think it may have been me waiting for hell to freeze over. I had actually quit! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 153 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,692 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1224 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6

Reading this thread: