Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,523 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7

Truth Talking; Jump in

17 years ago 0 583 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are 2 causes of chronic bronchites,and emphysema. 1st is a hereditary loss of lung defence. 2nd is other air pollutions and SMOKE. SMOKE is biggest contributer.
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
my Grandfather never smoked a day in his life and is strapped to an oxygen machine every day and can hardly walk from one room to the other because of emphysema. Go figure. It can happen to anyone. BUT, it's better to reduce your chances of getting such an illness by quitting. I guess to me, it's like this... anyone can get shot randomly on the street... random, scary things happen... but if I play Russian Roulette long enough, I WILL get shot. It's just a matter of time. I don't play Russian Roulette with my life anymore. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 290 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,267 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1197.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm having problems understanding how some people, the stars mostly, are quitting smoking, but still coming down with especially emphysema. Johnny Carson supposedly quit smoking ten years before he died of emphysema. Did he already have emphysema before he quit? How do you get emphysema after you quit? I can understand the mutation of the cells toward cancer years after quitting, but not how you end up with something like emphysema. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,358 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $244.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I got a lot of opinions and theories on this subject. People who have never smoked get empysemia, lung cancer etc. In my personal opinion, just like everything else, the media grab hold of something and run with it, it wouldnt have mattered if he quit 50 years prior they would have still said he was a smoker never mind that he/she may have been an alcoholic or spent 30 years working in an environment that may have also contributed to an illness noooo they say it was because he smoked! This makes me MAD!! anyway this is one of my theories lol. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 679 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $336.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Probably had it before he quit I think..... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 61 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 929 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $244 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anyone can get emphysema. It is not just something that only smokers get. Smoking increases your risks of getting emphysema. My mother never smoked a day in her life and she has emphysema. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $376 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 9

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 19

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm with PrincessC, grrrrr... Don't always believe what you hear from the media or those so called 'tobacco studies', It's scary but i personally know lots of people who have never smoked a day in their life who have had, had or got cancer.. & i know even more family & friends that smoke that have not got, got, had or ever had cancer & there ain't no smog in the country i live ! It appears that most of us will die or get cancer (1 in 3 in fact) & yes this means even those fortunate humans out there that have never smoked in their life... let the media explain that one .. :8o: The medical profession cannot explain why cancer developes. Personally i'll be glad if i make it past 60 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 594 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,866 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3861 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 85 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$12,498.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 8

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 610 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am sure that people who don't smoke and get emphysema are the "exception". Of course, it can happen. But, the biggest cause of emphysema and bronchitis is SMOKING. Just go to any medical website. It will confirm this information. Emphysema is permanent damage to the lungs. Although after quitting the lungs can clean themselves out and come back to pink and healthy again, the damage already done from emphysema cannot be reversed. I would "guess" that Johnny Carson already had the beginning stages of emphysema and that is why he finally quit. Quitting will slow the progress of emphysema immensely. He may have died 5,6,7 years earlier if he had not quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 85 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,307 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $318.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
  • Quit Meter

$90,826.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 9

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 19

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The damage that smoking creates is horrible! Many people don't realize that smoking can also mask problems that they previously had. Know that your choice was a positive one! Keep Strong, Josie ____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: