Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

what do we have to look forward to?

17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Oodlechick, social smokers are very few, they are people who do not smoke everyday usually don't buy cigarettes smoke other people's cigarettes. As soon as you have to do something everyday or else you feel lousy ,that means you're addicted. Most smokers are addicted and can't be without cigarettes, some are more addicted than others like me...and you have to accept it in order to change it. It's not easy, you have to stop thinking like a smoker and not think I wish I was not addicted so I could have one once in a while...you can't if you have one then 2 etc it's all over. Come on you have come so far, don't let a bump on the road stop your trip altogether. I understand what you're going through and wish you well. Oh I almost forgot : don't smoke it's bad for your health :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 339 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey ex-slave, you're definately not alone in the "missing out on something" struggle. The past week has been that way for me too. It's just a little pang in the chest that keeps you looking for something that you can never seem to find, then figure out oh yeah I think it's smoking I'm missing. How sad we are to miss something we wanted to be rid of so badly. As everyone else said I just hang on day by day and wait for the day I no longer long for cigarettes. I don't know how long that will take, but I am determined to be smoke free until I get there. Stay strong - Stay quit. D2Q [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,010 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $150 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 695 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ex slave good evening I feel empty alot, not all of the time. My husband still smokes but he travels mon-fri, which helps. He has been home for 5 days in a row and maybe that is why this weekend has been harder than normal. I know if i did not have this sight i would have given in weeks ago. What I don't get are these social smokers... Why am I an addict and they just smoke every now and then?? Good luck with your quit. I know you can do this and every day is not as empty as the last. Think positive.. If you can not get on this sight.. Write down the positive reasons about not smoking.. LIKE you smell much better, your skin looks much better, no coughing, extra money... etc mon [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 880 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $132 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also have this problem too and can't seem to shake it. I am trying this and maybe you can try it too. I found a mint that I kind of like (I'm still trying different ones but right now it is Altoids Smalls they are only 1/2 a calorie each) and everytime I would have had that reward, I put one of those in my mouth. Then, while I'm sucking on that, there is no work or unpleasant tasks allowed at all, it is a real break. I am hoping that if I do this often and long enough, it will begin to be an adequit substitite. Right now it just isn't the same but I'm sure I need to do repetition. This really works for the signal after a meal. I think that my body is getting used to if you do one of those, it means eating is over. Anyways, just something to try. Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 535 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $74.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$74,957.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6525 Hours: 19

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It sounds like someone has not be rewarding themselves. tsk tsk j/k heh! What to look forward to on our breaks ... these are the things I do on my breaks: 1- post here 2- read 3- watch tv 4- play a video game 5- go bike riding 6- listen to my new ipod there are more ... but I think you get the idea [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,488 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $196 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

$54,514.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 12

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ex-Slave, 'Looking forward' to what exactly? When I smoked, I would go out to a restaurant for a meal, and did I enjoy it? No. While I ate, I was 'looking forward' to the cigarette at the end. This is the nature of the beast. You are not 'looking forward' to anything. If anything, you are looking back - back to the last cig you had and the Nicodemon is yelling in your ear 'hey, hurry up with that food' we have some serious smoking to do!' As a nicotine junkie, I was prepared to go out and spend 30-40 US dollars per head for a meal that I could not taste properly and the best bit of the occasion was the smoke at the end. I understand what you mean by an 'empty feeling'. Your body and brain are adjusting to a change in routine. I had a 30+ year routine, my body and brain will not forget it overnight. I am now discovering a new me, and slowly but surely, I am understanding that it's not a case of life can be OK without cigarettes, but life is better without them. It's the 21st century and we're all too used to getting everything we want yesterday. There is no magic pill, no silver bullet with the quit; it just takes time. Every day, you can choose not to smoke. So what if it takes a year or 18 months to adjust to a new way of living? I think it's worth it. If you don't think so, smoke. Stick with this - I feel so much better now and you can too! all the best Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 138 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,145 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1035 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ex-slave, you WILL find that THING that works for you ~ Everyone does something different. A Brisk walk, call up a friend for a quick check in, write in a journal (this helped me A LOT) Skip rope, do a puzzle sudoku or jigsaw, soak in some sunshine (or rain) just DO something different. I must have made 60 walks a day to the water fountain because I didn't know what to do at breaktime. Now I walk a mile at lunch . You'll get it, it just take a little soul searching to find what you enjoy that makes you feel good. CobenFan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 97 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,659 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $339.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ex-slave - - that junkie talk will get ya everytime:) We don't need that smoke anymore. Now we can breathe deeper, walk farther, think more clearly (well most of the time:) and so on... Enjoy filling that space with more healthy stuff, more fun stuff, with the freedom of not having that ugly addiction!! Reward time, as others have said... It sounds like it's time for a special reward for YOU... When was your last reward? Blessings be- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 118 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,130 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $548.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 208 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yep, yep, yep. This is the relearning part of the whole thing. This was very hard for me so I can really relate to this post. I am still working on finding my little rewards in life. Now that I'm through the worst of the blahs, it's kind of fun trying to figure out how to make myself feel good, or relax, or giggle. All of those things used to happen around cigarettes, now we have to find other ways to ignite those feelings. Its not very much fun when you are going through the blahs though. Hang in there, it will pass with time. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 157 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,711 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1099 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ex smoker :-) I didn't have time to read all your replies.... mostly because it's hot in this room where my computer is... so if someone has already said this... then I guess you get to read it again lol I had the same thoughts..... and then this occured to me. I was remembering all the things I use to say when I was smoking. like.... Gee, if I wasn't smoking I would do this... or If I wasn't smoking I could do that. Then one night something happened. I found myself doing something that just a few weeks prior I couldn't do. And I did it without thinking... so that changed my course of action. I always liked to dance. But the last couple years I found I couldn't. I was actually afraid to because within min's... my chest would start to hurt... and burn like fire. I didn't know if I was going to have a heart attack or not. So I didn't do anything as far as moves like I use to. Then one night at a wedding reception... I had a few.... maybe more than I should have at that... but I found myself danceing... and really getting into it..... I mean I broke a real sweet/sweat, lol That night after I went to bed it suddenly occured to me what I had done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got out of my bed, went to my window, and Thanked God in every way I could think....... As I just spent a night of dancing... without any distress... or even thinking about it. Praise God... I was so thankful I cried. There are many things I wanted to do when I was smoking and didn't because it. So now think...... what didn't you do or couldn't because of smoking? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 877 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $289.42 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24

Reading this thread: