Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Coming from England I have only heard of Zyban, patches, gum etc - what are the others?

17 years ago 0 385 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Kiwi, I am with you Carr + coldturkey = magic! :) Mira [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 429 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $73.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
  • Quit Meter

$44,961.84

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5157 Hours: 16

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brickwall, There are other forms of medication similar to Zyban and they work much in the same way. There are the lozenges which work much like the gum but it's in "candy" form. There's also hypnotism, acupuncture amd herbal therapies. The reason people are on the medication or the NRT's for more than a hundred days is because they need to slowly come off these therapies to avoid withdrawals. Hope this answers some of your questions. Danielle ________________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Zyban I tired Zyban last Sept, had to stop as I didn't stop smoking and it mad my depsression after lsoing Mum in June even worse and gave me sleepless nights and when I say sleepless that is what they where I became a walking nervous wreck - so it packed them in. Now on patches and doing ok, infact I have just realised I should have changed my patch two hours ago. I wondered what the other NRT were that get mentioned on here such as wellbutine and what laser treatment they also have Joanne [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 817 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �160 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I'm on patches at the moment - fifth week of 21mg I have tried zyban in the past but it gave me depression and I didn't stop smoking. I know about the gum but have never heard of the others that are mentioned on here, what are the other tablet you get in America and why are some people still on them after 100 days and what is laser treatment? Right quetsions over Joanne [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 790 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �155 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brickwall, My husband and I had what they call "cold laser therapy" here in the US and it's sort of like accupuncture with no needles. They use what looks like a pen light and touch the outer part of your ear, wrist and nose on both sides of your body. It painless and takes only about 15 minutes a session. You can Google stop smoking and laser therapy and look at their Q & A (Questions & Answers) if you want to know more. Of course, now that you have 31 days, Joanne, you're well on your way without spending the $300 USD. Totally great for you! CobenFan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,232 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $252 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here in New Zealand .. Alan Carr mixed with cold Turkey = non-smoker Ka ching ! :8o: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 519 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,992 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3373.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 74 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$12,509.88

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 21

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 344 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brick Wall, Luton (sorry), England calling, From what I can gather we can get more over the counter than our American friends can. I'm on Zyban, (hence the name :eg:) and have been for the last 3 months, one a day in the morning. I could kill you as soon as look at you because today is day 6 cold turkey for the first time EVER without lozenges, sublingual tablets, nicorette gum etc and I am chewing Airwave gum like there is no tomorrow and my stupid peanut brain is expecting its' nicotine reward which aint going to happen and I am a tad irritated. DID YOU GUESS?? Sorry for venting and venting and venting! Must go and kick something :mad: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,589 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �197.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$531,367.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5382 Hours: 16

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 344 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brick Wall, Not sure what the laser treatment is, perhaps someone else can help with that one. The Americans call our Zyban Welbutrin (or we call their Welbutrin Zyban!), our Nicorette or Nicotinell lozenges they call Commit, I don't know if they have the sublingual microtabs that we do, both sides of the pond use the gum and patches and hypnotism and acupuncture. Most NRT therapies say you should use them for 3 months and then gradually wean yourself off them hence the 100 days etc. You are doing well on the patches, 32 days! Also well done Kiwi! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,594 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �197.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$531,367.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5382 Hours: 16

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: