Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

It?s that time of the year

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Stickin'!!!

Great to have you back and blessing us with some profound thoughts!   I think about the money I've saved often, and often thought about updating from the price I paid for a pack when I quit nearly 5 years ago.  I know that would really make that money saved stat jump!  When I quit I was ordering from an Indian reservation smoke shop in Arizona for around $3.50 a pack, which included shipping!  I know that the price has probably doubled by now!  

I'm happy for that saved money, the improved health, cleaner house and car, new quit buddies and more kisses!  This sure IS going to be another great new year!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,392.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1062 Hours: 12

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

My father was a smoker.  He smoked into his late forties, quit for 7 years and started back up in his mid fifties. What got him back on it were the meetings he attended with people at his work.  He said they all smoked and they smoked in a closed conference room. Finally he couldn’t take it, gave in and joined in.  He quit again after a couple of years and has been smoke free for the last thirty years.  His reason for quitting was the cost of a pack. 

If I was to choose, mind you choose, to smoke beginning today it would cost let’s say $9 a pack x 7 days x 4.3 weeks = a whole lot of money. Not just one month of money but months and months and years and years of money.  So you see there are good things that come out of not smoking; MONEY would be one of these good things.  And yes health would be better than money but money, well money, how do you live without it, and what could I do with the $270 I would have spent for just that one month of smoking.  Well look how that adds up after seven years.  Look at those money stats Stickin has right up there! Go on take a good look. What does it say?  Well now that’s a lot of money. Now I’m sure some would pay less for a pack and some more but its MONEY and money can look that way all pretty and nice, money.

I’ve found there is a difference in my life style since I don’t smoke. I have more money.  It’s not just the costs of the packs but a good part of it is. Reduction of health care costs is some as well, mainly dental.

Would I smoke again?  I don’t think so.  Am I ever tempted anymore?  No.  Do I like smoking?  No.  Could I quit again if wanted to?  Well maybe and maybe not.  The way I see it if I’m going to have one, there will be many ones to follow.  Why?  Well if I’m going to blow my quit then I’m going to make it worthwhile.   If I’m going to make it worthwhile, well then maybe tomorrow never comes, and I may never be in the right frame of mind to quit again unless I’m dying from smoke related problems and then it would be late, wouldn’t it, too late. 

I wish all of you smoke free people the best and the good sense and strength to carry it forward. So glad to see you’ve made up your minds to do that something special for yourselves, saw the dream and now have made it your reality. 

Happy new year to all

Stickin to it

Reading this thread: