Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Lou P Lou is 10 days from TWO years.......Awesome!!!!

15 years ago 0 706 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you both very much!!!  Everyone one of us here have a lot to be proud of.  I will tell people in a heartbeat that quitting smoking is very hard!!!  BUT, we have done it!

Thank you anxioux!  It was my cervical cancer that ultimatley got me to quit.  I was told that since I had already had one form of cancer, that if I continued to smoke it wouldn't be a matter of IF I ended up with lung cancer, it would be WHEN.  That scared me, then a few weeks later I got very sick and had a spell where I couldn't breath, I literally couldn't pull any air in at all...  I was told that it was similar to an asthma attack.  I was told I had to quit and quit now.  Would you believe that I ended up waiting two weeks... but finally did it. I have 4 kids... my youngest just turned 12, I have a lot that I have to be around for and if I kept smoking I might not have made it!  I really feel that to have a successful quit you must have the right mental attitude...  you have to KNOW that when you quit smoking that you didn't give up anything... you actually gained A LOT! 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/18/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 721
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 14,420
Amount Saved: $2,523.50
Life Gained:
Days: 58 Hrs: 16 Mins: 43 Seconds: 26

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done Lou.  It is so true about the time going by quickly once you stop fighting the quit.  You always amazed me, through your illness scares, how you never resolved to smoking again...nothing ever pulled you down.  Congratulations to you!!

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 489
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 14,670
Amount Saved: $1,833.75
Life Gained:
Days: 40 Hrs: 17 Mins: 8 Seconds: 11

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations!  Be very proud!  And thank you for all that you contribute here at SSC.  We appreciate you!
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 99
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,188
Amount Saved: $522.72
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 20 Mins: 52 Seconds: 25

Mr. Ed, thank you so much!!!  You lists have been a wonderful tool in my quit.  It is always nice to you your name in lights!  Thanks for all that you do for all of us here at SSC!!!

Rock, You are right, it does become who we are!  Early in my quit I could tell you how may hours it had been since I smoked my last one...  Okay, maybe that is a little overboard, but I could surely tell you how many months or weeks.  Now, I can't tell you how many weeks it is until I see Mr. Ed's list on Wednesdays.  I lost track of months also... BUT I do remember the date and can tell you how many years it has been.  Early in my quit I would tell my boyfriend, "we have been quit for X number of weeks"... he said the only way he could keep up with it was through me.  I never understood that!  LOL  I love the quit meter...  it is wonderful to see how it all adds up... and it really adds up fast!  I learned how to be a non-smoker pretty fast!  LOL!!!  Now I can't see myself as a smoker, ever again!!!  Thank you so much Rock... your stats are looking awesome there too!!!

Deb, before you know it you will be celebraing your first year!  Time really does past fast!  You keep on hanging in there, because you are inspiring others also!!!

Ron, I am with you.  When I first found SSC, I was looking at everyone stats and didn't think I would ever make it!  All those people at 50 days and boarding the ship.  It seemed like it was a long way off.  THEN I made it!  Then 100 days, come on... I didn't think I would ever make it to the beach!  But guess what... it really didn't seem like it was that long... The days add up pretty fast!  Yes, quitting is a collective effort.  Even though I may be right at two years, the new quitters keep me focused.  I see what they are going through, I know the feeling all too well... and I KNOW that I don't ever want to be back there.  My nickname...  Long story short here.  "Lou" is in my middle name.  A name that I haven't ever gone by.  My boyfriend and I play games online.  Well, probably 7 years ago I was sick and my doctor had given me some cough medicine.  After taking the medicine we were online gaming.  The medince made me a little silly and someone said that I was "loopy".  My boyfriend then said that if I ever had my own online gamertag that it should be Lou P Lou (loopy Lou).  SO, I am Lou P Lou online when gaming and it has been a screen name since that night also.

Thanks again to everyone!!!

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 721
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 14,420
Amount Saved: $2,523.50
Life Gained:
Days: 58 Hrs: 16 Mins: 18 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LPL, Your story so reminded me of when I first quit I used to think people that quit one or two months earlier than me were so far ahead of me. Now many months later I have this whole new frame of reference where I'm seeing where you are as doable for me also. You were like my great great grandmother in time when first quit LOL...  Thanks for hanging out and showing us how to stay positive in our quits.  It really is a collective effort.  PS. Where does your name come from? Curious because a friend of mine is named Lou and I'm intrigued with the two Lou's.  
Ron

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 294
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,292
Amount Saved: $1,587.60
Life Gained:
Days: 45 Hrs: 8 Mins: 45 Seconds: 2

15 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think it is awesome that you have made it for 2 years. I can't wait until I can say the same thing!! People like you are what inspires us newbies to hang in there. Enjoy your computer, you deserve it!!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 11
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 220
Amount Saved: $44.00
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 13 Mins: 17 Seconds: 13

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lou, what a wonderful story you shared with us!  I'll have to ask you in 2 weeks to see if you have that same pause when answering!  I guess when you are non-smoking as long as you have been, its kinda hard to remember when you quit!  It becomes who we are.  I'm glad we have quit meters!  I remember you saying in prior posts that you could never imagine yourself being a non smoker.  I'm guessing today that it is hard for you to imagine that you smoked!  Anyway, congratulations on your success!  And what great rewards you have planned!  Thanks for all you do here!  Here's to the next 720 smoke free days, and beyond!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 230
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,200
Amount Saved: $1,840.00
Life Gained:
Days: 34 Hrs: 9 Mins: 50 Seconds: 47

15 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

2 years already!! You are making me feel old! I shouldn't have any favourites here - but I am very pleased for you

ED

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/13/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1149
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 34,470
Amount Saved: �9,048.38
Life Gained:
Days: 194 Hrs: 16 Mins: 32 Seconds: 0

My reward is a new computer... I already have it because we found a good deal on it.  I also plan on going out and having a nice family dinner on the 18th...  as far away from the smoking section as I can get if they have a smoking section!!! My boyfriend quit the day after me, he said he wanted me to have my own day... wasn't that sweet .  So, we will be celebrating for 2.  He never joined SSC, he isn't one for email and message boards... he likes the internet but not that stuff.  BUT, the other night I was here and showed him my stats.. because his are very close to mine.  He saw the money that had been saved.... he thought a minute and said, "you know, all the money that we have spent on "rewards"... we still haven't spent as much as we would if we were still smoking".  He is right, we have had a couple of real nice rewards and still haven't spent as much as we would have if we were smoking!

A little story to tell, I just thought about it this afternoon...

It was probably the first week of my quit.  I was at work, I work in the hospital and at that time I worked in the ICU.  Well, the physical therapist and several other people were on the unit and someone made mention of me quitting smoking.  One of the physical therapist spoke up and said that she had quit... she had to think a bit then said that it had been 2 years... it amazed me that first of all she had been quit for 2 years... and secondly that she actually had to think about how long it had been.  I remember thinking that day, nearly 2 years ago, that I would never make it that far... Guess what!!!!  I made it!!!  WOOOHOOO!!!  I am going to look for her and tell her that next week...  without knowing it she really encouraged me...  I need to thank her!

Thank to all of you also!  You are all great!

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 720
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 14,400
Amount Saved: $2,520.00
Life Gained:
Days: 58 Hrs: 14 Mins: 58 Seconds: 41

15 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations!!!!!!!!
Celebrate your first two years of your nonsmoking life!!!! I see a lot of this celebrations in your future!
Your success empowers us!
Hugs
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 74
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,110
Amount Saved: $111.00
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 11 Mins: 24 Seconds: 57

Reading this thread: