Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Our 2 YEAR CHRISTMAS DAY QUITTER - NONIC!!

15 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Pat

Thanks for the kind words...I hope all is well with you...

nonic

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/25/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 751
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 22,530
Amount Saved: $7,885.50
Life Gained:
Days: 143 Hrs: 8 Mins: 0 Seconds: 57

• Quit Meter

$66,717.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1376 Hours: 15

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic,
What a powerful poem and how aptly this stanza sums up the stages of quitting for me. 

"For I have lost a lover
who would kill me where I stand
but found a better friend in me
cause I know who I am."

Nonic, it's good to see you and this thread helping so many who journey through the process of quitting and then learning to really live again without addictions. Indeed, we need the desire to look for that key to our freedom.  Courage, I think, is what unlocks the door.

AC, you're doing a great job in your quit and with your life.  You are worth it and by golly, I know people really like you...a lot!  Deep down you'll know, you don't need much luck to make things happen when you have the desire and determination.

Pat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 717
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 28,680
Amount Saved: $14,340.00
Life Gained:
Days: 94 Hrs: 0 Mins: 50 Seconds: 2

• Quit Meter

$121,344.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 966 Hours: 13

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
N - Thank you for that.
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 14
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 168
Amount Saved: $73.92
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 8 Mins: 5 Seconds: 43

msreader:

My heart goes out to you as you work through this addiction. Please do not allow my little visits to my personal shadow lands discourage you from continuing on toward cessation.  I can tell you now, with hand on heart, even when I am feeling most despondent, I do not think of smoking at all.  That dragon no longer has any fire that I fear.  After two years quit, I am never going down that road again.  So please do not get the impression that even after such an extended quit there is still that vicious craving that will cause me to run to the store for a pack.  There is none of that in me and eventually, as time goes by. there will be no such needs in you either.  But right now you are deeply engaged in the process of quitting and I understand how difficult it is.
You are doing exactly the same thing that I did.  You are examining the reasons that you smoke.  That can be very difficult at first, because in doing so you are shining a light on areas within you that have perhaps not been visited in a long, long time.  For me, there are bits and pieces of my good self that have perhaps remained in a self imposed state of suspended animation.  Alcohol and cigarettes can be used to keep that frozen state going. As one of those areas begins to unthaw a bit and enters the conscious mind, I would automatically lower the temperature again by polluting my body with either one or both of these substances.  And as you are well aware, the cycle begins once again. 

I have chosen to break that cycle and literally become unafraid of those former frozen zones.  It takes practice.  But eventually you do begin to understand that you do not need to temper your anxiety with harmful substances.  After all what we are doing when we do this is killing the body in an attempt to not experience the soul.  Where is the logic in that?  There is none, we are too complex and beautiful to impose such a harsh penalty on ourselves.  Never forget that an addict is both the jailer and the prisoner.  We must find the courage to ask ourselves for the key.

Here is a bit I wrote when I was deeply in the grasp of the addiction.  Maybe you can catch a bit of yourself in the verses....

I Set My Mind Against The Tide

I set my mind against the tide,
as a sailor sets a sail
straight into a westward wind,
that soon became a gale.

The harbor lights were far behind,
when the sky bled blue to gray.
The chop was fine and coming fast
and my boat began to sway.

Broadside and true she took each wave
and fell to meet the next.
The troughs were deep the angles steep
my thoughts were dark and vexed.

And in that hour the taunting came,
from deep within the storm.
Derision scorn and vile blame
took endless ghostly form.

Loathing lingered on the deck
as doubt engulfed the mast.
And from the east, a tiny speck
flew toward me from the past.

Larger loomed this bird of prey
in silence loud and clear.
With stealth and guile it ruled the day
for this was cold dark fear.

Fear stretched out a deadly claw
and danced with doubt and scorn
around the sail I’d bravely set
they mocked the oath I’d sworn.

The bitter wind grew stronger still
as hopelessness appeared
and played a mournful melody
for doubt and scorn and fear.

“Come join the dance” the storm intoned
I know you know the steps.
“I’ll bring you peace” the wind exclaimed
“with one more cigarette.”

But just between the flash and fade
the lightning wind and storm
were all inventions I had made
while I was busy being born.

For I have lost a lover
who would kill me where I stand
but found a better friend in me
cause I know who I am.

I set my mind against the tide
as a sailor sets a sail…

I set my mind against the tide
As a sailor sets a sail…..

I do hope that you will continue on your way...Getting cigarettes out of your life is a worthy goal, and even if things are screwed up, at least you will have rid yourself of one more thing that can really blow the gig...

Stay Well

nonic

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 750
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 22,500
Amount Saved: $7,875.00
Life Gained:
Days: 143 Hrs: 6 Mins: 14 Seconds: 38

• Quit Meter

$66,717.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic,
You are indeed joined by many, many people around the world who care about your quit and who care about you Nonic. 

I for one understand exactly what you mean.  Sometimes the pain of life is intense for all of us.  Feel the fear and do it Anyway....I read a book by that title and it helped me save my life by qutting and helped me stay quit almost 2 years ago.  

I have had my life ripped completely asunder in recent months.  Sometimes life is just like that...it's not personal...it just happens.  We just have to pick up the peices and get on with life.  I am once again re-inventing myself and determining what I need to do to make my world whole again.  The only person I can count on 100 percent is myself.  I have come way too far to allow transient events to ever draw me back to that old cycle of addiction.  I want you to hang on to this thought...it will get any addict through the nitty to the gritty....the cycle of addiction can be broken.  You and I have already done it, we just have to continue to say N.O.P.E.  I can do that and I know you can too.

Depression has medications that can help.  Perhaps the losses I've had this past year need time to heal and I think this is just normal greiving on my part.  I still feel intense pain.  I still cry a lot and get unusually angry without much provocation.  I will go and get some meds if I don't soon start to feel better soon.  This grief I feel will pass in time with or without medication, but I'll get medication soon if I need it.  In the meantime I will not smoke.  I hope you don't either. 

Let's stuff the black hole back from whence it came and go dance in the sunshine of life.  I thank you for your honesty and hope you'll know you're not alone, now or ever. 

Pat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 698
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 27,920
Amount Saved: $13,960.00
Life Gained:
Days: 85 Hrs: 6 Mins: 27 Seconds: 3

• Quit Meter

$121,344.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 966 Hours: 13

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello nonic  I don't know about you but I can feel more alone in a room full of people than I can just being by myself at times. I find that spending a day with freinds can change my whole outlook , feel a lot better and might last a week ! Changes the whole perspective of things. I know that this time of year can be a cause of increased anxiety. Also an anniversary date can add stress as well. The thing that we have to understand is that even "old timers " can have trying times as well. We tend to concentrate so much on the newcomer that sometimes we tend to assume everything to be ok. Solitude is good , loneliness isn't. There are no strangers , just people we haven't met yet. I wish you well nonic. breather 45 Addict still 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 45
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,250
Amount Saved: $1,080.00
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 5 Mins: 39 Seconds: 37

15 years ago 0 567 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such difficult times. Your honesty is very touching. It is not easy when you feel the 'black hole' beginning to surround you. I know in the past--other than smoking--staying busy and trying to sleep has kept me from the brink of sliding through. The first sign for me is the abnormal sleeping--when I have difficulty I know the slip may begin. This is when I make myself so busy--the gym in the a.m. and p.m., working myself silly and lots of housework. I just don't stop...until I drop into bed exhausted. Healthy (?)--I'm not sure, but it has kept me from sliding the slippery slope a few times.

I commend you on 2 years free of the nicodemon--wow, wow, wow--what an accomplishment. Nonic--if you can stick to that--i know you can find the strength to see a dr or whatever it is you need to do to overcome this current battle.

My thoughts and friendship are reaching out to you through this time..

Deb
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 300
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,000
Amount Saved: $2,025.00
Life Gained:
Days: 34 Hrs: 4 Mins: 1 Seconds: 28

Sarah

You are absolutely correct. It is really a matter of convincing the mind that for some reason the old "fight or flight" mechanism is working overtime.  I would not doubt if there is actually a biological reason for the states I experience, but what it is I cannot say.  I do know that things will turn round alright, I know I have the ability to alter my perception of events, I think it is just that knowledge that convinces me I am not going to fall victim to the emotional paralysis I often fear.  

Thanks

nonic

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 732
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 21,960
Amount Saved: $7,686.00
Life Gained:
Days: 136 Hrs: 12 Mins: 16 Seconds: 46

• Quit Meter

$66,717.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
nonic,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is good to hear that it has been therapeutic for you. It can be very hard to see the light and convince yourself that there will be better times ahead. Not to worry though, that is what we are here for.

Members, any advice for nonic during this difficult time?
Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Now this is a surprise.  So many people taking the time to note my anniversary is a beautiful thing indeed.  I read each one carefully, after all it is not often that one receives encouragement from all over the world.  To know that I am joined in this struggle each day by so many caring people reminds me that I am not alone.  That is so important because there are many many people in this world who don't know that feeling. 

I will tell you truthfully, that this period of time has not been an especially hopeful one for me.  There are bits and pieces of my life that have been ripped asunder in recent months.  And I also admit that I have been overcome recently with a sense of despair that has threatened to bring on a paralysis in my wee psyche.  But I do promise you this, I have come to far and over come to many hurtles to ever allow transient events and feelings to draw me back to that old cycle of addiction.  No matter how badly I feel I will not succumb to the temptation to draw inward by sucking down smoke.  That is how I medicated these bouts of depression in the past, and I will not do that again. 

It is difficult for me to write this, but I am going through a period of intense loneliness that is almost a kind of physical pain.  And it is not the type of aloneness that can be soothed by going to a grand party or chatting with friends or entertaining a new and endearing idea or, dare I say,  finding a new and wonderful young lady.  I know what it is, because it has come upon me before.  It is a sort of free floating anxiety that is almost like a black hole whose sides are so slippery that once one falls through, escape becomes an impossibility.  The difficult thing about it is that it is not visible like a broken arm, it is a spiritual state that defies explanation beyond the borders of my own being.  It is what people refer to as depression.  Why it comes to me now and again, I cannot say, but when it is near I know it. 

I am only telling you this because in the first instance it is therapeutic for me to at least attempt to describe it and secondly I want to encourage others who may see themselves in the above description to avoid self-medicating at all costs.  Losing a quit in normal circumstances is disappointing, frustrating and heart breaking. Losing a quit to the paralysis of depression will only feed the monster within and cause you to further devalue yourself.  That of course will escalate the depression and bring you further down the black hole.  It is for this reason that I want to thank each and everyone of you who took the time to remind me of this anniversary.  The gesture means more to me than perhaps you realize. Thank you.

Stay Well

nonic 

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 732
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 21,960
Amount Saved: $7,686.00
Life Gained:
Days: 136 Hrs: 12 Mins: 11 Seconds: 16

• Quit Meter

$66,717.00

Amount Saved