Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

My Friend ? Mr. Nic ? speaks to me during 3rd day ...!!!

10 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The nicodeomon is saying "can u hear me now?, can u hear me now?" And I'm saying NOPE!! And ignoring him, JERK!!
10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bkamath,

The nicodemon can be one tricky.... Don't listen to him. Remind yourself that he is not your buddy, he is trying to kill you! Find replacements for him. A nice walk, a cup of tea, posting here, whatever you think might work. Many people compare quitting smoking up to breaking up with a bad girlfriend or boyfriend. You know you have to do it for your own good but it's just so hard. Use the same strategies as you would in a break up, keep busy with friends, avoid situations where you might think of him/her or even worse see her, focus on yourself and your health. Soon you will start to feel better then ever and the nicodemon's tricks will be much easier to avoid.

Keep fighting!

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hear ya, Bkamath.

I remember that pesky little voice, pestering around for a cigarette. I also remember looking at it like a difficult child.

In some of those first days, my inner "child"/ addict was having a huge screaming tantrum over being denied. Once she calmed down, she resorted to repeated pestering and arguing. My inner "child" can be very manipulative and strong willed, but then again, so can I.

I applied what I know about behavior and children to get through some of this. First, you don't want to give in to their demands, or you will reinforce their bad behavior. So the answer is simply "no." Ignore this mental nonsense and do not engage in those thoughts. Second, reward them for behaving well. In other words, if you get through a day without smoking do something nice or comforting for yourself, since that child does live within you.
  • Quit Meter

$22,520.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 0

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Bkamath!

You're right!  Your demon will try to make deals with you often these first couple of weeks!  DON'T  LISTEN!!!  With every crave that you defeat your demon, you will become stronger and stronger!  If you can do it once you can do it 100 times!

Rambler brought up a great point!  Start considering yourself a non-smoker now!  As a non-smoker, you have to live by N.O.P.E. ,  Not  One  Puff  Ever!!!  The real biggie here is the last word,  Never!  If you lose one battle with the nico-demon, you have to start all over on your quit!  You are 100% correct!  The demon is NOT your friend and is definitely a B......D!!!  

You CAN do this, buddy!!!  Yell if you need a hand!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,235.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 17

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's going to happen for a long time. Get used to it. NOPE is the word, and the only word. One puff and you start over again. I was still having occasional dreams for a year and a half but it really felt great to wake up and realize I had not smoked. The urges keep coming but they stay for a shorter period of time. Count each urge as a conquest and feel good about yourself winning another one.
  • Quit Meter

$163,468.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8364 Hours: 17

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Guys .. 
This is my third day that I dint meet Mr Nic. and you know he calls me and how he speaks me ...

Below are words spoken by Nic to me.

" Hey man we were together since last many years. I was your most preferred mate both in good as well as in your bad times. I agree that I was not good with you .. But that does not mean that you stop talking to me at once . This is real mean of you. We can have a good time ..."
" OK deal see now you have got a confidence that you can stay without me right ..? OK then go away ... But if you meet me once in a week as well then there will be no harm ."
" This will be only between me and you . So buddy think about it seriously ... Deal Once In A Week " 

Real Bas *@#%!# rd .....  .

Reading this thread: