Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

12 Days Smoke Free!

12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great Idea to get a manicure Kristen ! You deserve it ! Lets keep going. Everyone is doing just GREAT !!!
12 years ago 0 147 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for the kind words. I did reward myself, actually. I went and got a manicure. :) I'm still having hard times with the cravings but i just breathe through it and it all seems to work itself out. :)
12 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm adding my voice to the congrats for the two toughest weeks past for you, Kristen! You're doing great. Keep it up!
-aloha 
12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kristen , Two weeks ! The toughest 2 weeks ! You should be very proud and I hope you will reward yourself for this milestone !

Just remember N.O.P.E. and you will be an exsmoker for Life !
12 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kristen Congrats on 12 days smoke free. This is an awesome acheivement. It might be one of the hardest things you will ever do and one of the most beneficial for yourself. You're proving to yourself that you can be a non smoker one day at a time. Don't forget to reward yourself and don't forget that you deserve to have rewards. Excellent for you. breather
12 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kristen:

Good on there...Exercise is key...When we engage in physical activity we force our body to increase our supply of positive neurotransmitters...We feel better and we become stronger in order to face the onslaught of our addiction.  Remain hopeful and resolved.  You can do this...Hope is a strange thing, it can be elusive, but not unattainable.  As humans we must have it to survive and as addicts there can never be to much of it...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,549.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 5

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

@Vincenza What i did to pass the weekend was do word search puzzles. We stayed at my boyfriends moms house last night and i fell asleep as soon as we got there.. Thank you again for the support!

@nonic; I do suffer from depression so, quitting isn't at all easy for me. I just try and focus on the future and how much healthier i'll be. I've almost had relapses but i did the breathing exercises and used my gum to help with the cravings. I hope quitting is going well for you too! 
12 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kristen:

That is huge...You should certainly reward yourself.  This is an awful addiction.  But seeking cessation does have its own benefits.  That is, benefits beyond the fact that you will lessen the chance of suffering a debilitating disease down the road.

For me anyway, quitting forced me to look at myself in a way that I never had before.  We smoke for a reason.  Nobody goes out, rolls up some weeds in a piece of paper, lights it and inhales the fumes on a lark.  No, humans are a very pragmatic lot.  We do things for reasons, we develop patterns of behavior for a reason and we become addicted for a reason.

Have you ever looked at the physiology behind nicotine use?  It is quite an eye opener.  Understanding what I was getting from smoking helped me immensely.  Once you understand the circular nature of the addiction, you will begin to develop behavior patterns that will take you straight to cessation island. You will develop coping mechanisms that will help you stave off the inevitable need to begin the circle once again. And once you teach yourself how to cut old man nicotine off at the pass, you will find that it becomes deeply ingrained in your nature.  Eventually, you will do these things for yourself without even thinking about it.  And when you do you will wonder why you ever smoked at all.

Don't get me wrong, it is not always easy, but I can assure you that the effort is well worth the doing.  I believe, and this is only me, that people use cigarettes as a kind of anti-depressant.  Smoking, for some, is self-administered therapy.  

Now I am not saying that this is true in your case.  I have no way of knowing that.  But I know it was for me and so I can only speak to you from my own experience.  But one thing I will tell you is this.  You must be very honest with yourself.  Try to identify the situations that trigger your need for nicotine.  Now remember, that the drug has its own half life in your system and it will always tell you when it is time to reload.  But beyond that there are people, places and things in our lives, that call us to smoke.  There are situations that carry high risks for the addict.  These are the things that you must identify for your self, and then develop a plan to defeat the reaction before it arises. It may occur to you down the road that this addiction is like a prison.  The odd thing about it is, however, that we are both the jailer and the prisoner.  We must find the courage and wisdom to ask ourselves for the key. 

In any case, just continue forward, you are making fine progress.  Stay here and communicate with these good folks.  You will find some with whom you will resonate , pay attention to that.  Remember that you can help others here, simply by listening and responding.  In that way you will not only receive the support you need, but also give that support back to others.  And thats a pretty good thing...

stay well

nonic  
  • Quit Meter

$66,549.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 5

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You've made it through the hurricane and way more importantly 13 days smoke-free!
That's fantastic Kristen, way to go!!    Wishing you only rainbows ahead!

What did you do to pass the time and avoid cravings over the weekend?
Vincenza, Health Educator
Excuse me... 13 days... :) EVEN BETTER!!

Reading this thread: