Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

cravings!!!!!! help!!!!!

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Deb. How did you get along yesterday with that massive crave? 

Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger... the struggle will harden your will to break this rotten addiction.

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 217
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,425
Amount Saved: $2,441.25
Life Gained:
Days: 40 Hrs: 7 Mins: 43 Seconds: 29

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Deb i had to come to see how you did and i am pleased to see you made it, i hope for you and easier day tomorrow, this is the way to get it done one day at a time, Power through the bad like to did today and enjoy the easy days, just under Kylisa picture it says My Quit, and click here, it is harsh but should be viewed and if you want to smoke you need to see it over and over again till you no longer want to, you look like a beautiful person and you dont want to  make yourself sick by smoking, you will do good , keep up the good fight, we are here for you  :)  Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2206
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 52,944
Amount Saved: $9,265.20
Life Gained:
Days: 315 Hrs: 6 Mins: 47 Seconds: 28

15 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I made it through today but am still feeling pretty shaky.   Your posts helped a lot.  Lordy, this was the toughest day yet, and it didn't get a whole lot easier after my post-- but posting how I was feeling helped too.  I read and re-read everything everyone wrote and did MANY of the suggestions.  I ate (was really hungry), went hiking (I was crawling out of my skin), drank water (I realized after I got done writing that I forgot to bring water to work), did a lot of distracting activities that had nothing to do with what I was supposed to be doing (working).  So, Bonnie, I was hungry, anxious and lonely too!  Not too tired but 3 out of 4.  And bless you Kelly-- vitamins tomorrow morning.  And I haven't watched the video yet Tresa--.  Kylisa-- how do I find your video???  It's not under your picture.  And thank you for your kind words.  And always thank you to Breanne, who is always there.  I'm taking your other advice Kelly and going to bed.  You're right-- it's the only time I can escape feeling yucky.... except for those brief but miraculous moments when I feel completely at peace.  I can feel me changing, and that part feels good.  I'm hanging on to that feeling because I don't ever want to go back.  Hugs and more hugs.
Deborah

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 72
Amount Saved: $21.60
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 9 Mins: 34 Seconds: 13

15 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb     Remember..... H A L T   are you hubgry, anxious or angry, lonely or tired ?   These are very very big triggers for many many people.  so  try to avoid them as much as possible or at least what you can controal especially at the beginning ou your quit.  I kept a bottle of water and when i had a crave took a drink of water. I also kept mints, almonds and some snack bars in my purse.

you can use your treat  a few almonds, a bite from a chocolate bar (savory the taste) as a reward for not sticking a cigarette in your mouth.  

The more you say NO the easier it gets to say no... Jump up and down, do some jumping jacks or stretches.

let us know how you are ... and grea job of coming here and reading and posting.

Bonnie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 193
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,281
Amount Saved: $656.20
Life Gained:
Days: 27 Hrs: 16 Mins: 52 Seconds: 38

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Deb you can do this, watch Kylisas vidio, that will help you stop wanting a smoke, HANG TOUGH  you can and want to do this :)  Hugs  Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2205
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 52,920
Amount Saved: $9,261.00
Life Gained:
Days: 315 Hrs: 6 Mins: 5 Seconds: 28

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb,

Like you said, it will pass. I know that it is diffucult, and fighting cravings is definitely tough, but hang in there! You are doing such a great job so far.
Here are a few tips for dealing with your cravings:

AVOID the situation.
Identify the situations when you normally smoke or chew, or feel cravings. For most, high-risk situations include work breaks, finishing meals, having coffee or being in a bar. Plan how you will avoid these situations for a few weeks. Plan for alternate activities.

LEAVE the situation.
If you find yourself in one of these high risk situations, leave if you can. And, leave before you get a craving.

DISTRACT yourself from the craving- which you are very good at doing! Going for a hike is an excellent way to take your mind off smoking.
If you find yourself in a situation you can't leave and you get a craving, distract yourself from the craving by: Thinking about something else, like your Benefits of Quitting (or how much money you’re saving every week, how your body is healing itself). Doing something else to distract yourself like drinking water or deep breathing exercises. Thinking about an upcoming event in your life, such as a vacation.

DELAY acting on the craving
If you can't keep your mind off it, then make a deal with yourself that you will wait 5 minutes before you give into the craving. The craving will usually pass in a couple of minutes anyway. If you delay, the craving will go away.

Use SELF TALK
A craving may be accompanied by negative thoughts about your ability to resist it. Use positive self talk statements to combat your negative thoughts.

Hope this helps. Hang in there!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang on in there Deb, the day is passing and before you know it tomorrow will be here and this day is done. Yes, we know how you feel and we also know that it passes, truly it does.
Do everything suggested below, and good on you for hiking on the beach- clear your head and stay positive-((hug))

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 103
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,575
Amount Saved: $1,545.00
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 3 Mins: 48 Seconds: 18

15 years ago 0 289 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I can also relate to you Deb, hang in there just make a promise to yourself that you won't smoke for today, tomorrow is another day. Kelly gave you great advice, others will come soon to help you.

(((( hugs ))))

Lisa

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 144
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,760
Amount Saved: $633.60
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 18 Mins: 46 Seconds: 41

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb, hang on, you will be ok.   I do know what you are talking about and it sucks, but it is a sign of your body cleansing itself, you are getting rid of the poison.  You have the right ideas, to eat something healthy to get your blood sugars up and go for a walk to get your endorphins up.  The crying?  Well, I hated that too, I am on cymbalta now for anxiety, the depression did go away on its own.  Try taking some vitamin supplements like B and C.  Your body is working extra hard right now so you need to help it along.  Lots of water to rinse your system out faster, and my all time favorite...SLEEP, it was the only thing that shut my brain off for awhile.   Remember, everytime you get through this, you are a winner!!  I remember when if felt like my skin was crawling and I was going to explode.  I didn't.  I look like I could now from the weight I gained, but I am ok with that.  Take Care Deb.  Not sure if this was much help, but know that I can relate and I feel for you.  Remember this is a good thing you are doing.

((hugs))

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 259
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,770
Amount Saved: $971.25
Life Gained:
Days: 21 Hrs: 2 Mins: 58 Seconds: 19

15 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
   Okay-- so I'm at work in front of my computer having the worst cravings yet.  If I knew for a fact that there were a cigarette buried in my office wall, I would scratch through the wall, pain and all just to get to it.  I know you all know what I'm talking about.

But--  I'm doing what I know I need to do and that is write through the pain of it.  Ow ow ow.  It will pass, it will pass.  I know this doesn't really compare to labor pains, but that's the only thing I can think of to compare it to right now.  I want to cry.  Okay... I'm crying now.  This sucks and I'm glad I'm here by myself.  I hate crying.  Now I can't even see the screen.  And I have a headache.  And I know I'm whining-- I apologize.

It's past lunch and I haven't eaten-- I think I need to go eat something healthy.  And I will put on my hiking clothes which I hauled to work with me and go hike at the beach. 

This really sucks.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 72
Amount Saved: $21.60
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 8 Mins: 47 Seconds: 9

Reading this thread: