Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,648 Members

Please welcome our newest members: JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA

So incredibly hard!!!!!

16 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Gunnar how are you making out today? Just think that hell week is the worse and once through that it does get easier! Stay strong! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/4/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,408 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $361.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey gunnar, no news ??? u're doing ok? steph
16 years ago 0 706 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, this is very hard! Be sure to sue those coping skills. Each day will be a little easier, hang in there... we are all here for you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 377 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,885.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
16 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're doing great. It is hard but you're doing it. One minute, one hour, one day at a time you'll get through this and live to tell about it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/26/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,034 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $454.96 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
16 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gunnar, I just posted this for Steph and Beckylynn and here it is for you also. When the craves get to much for you, look at this: [IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/Meg02915/StopSmoking.jpg[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 424 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $108.76 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hiya gunnar, it's been a rough day 4 me too. i feel like i am fighting against myself. right now i am exhausted and am going straight to bed !!! allez ! hang on!!! steph
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gunnar, By far, your first smoke-free week is the most difficult. Our Support Group members call the first week of quitting �hell week� because that�s when withdrawal symptoms are their strongest. As a smoker, you�ve spent a large part of your waking hours feeding your body nicotine, so when you stop the feeding, your body craves what it misses. During your first smoke-free week your withdrawal symptoms (and cravings) may, at times, seem almost unbearable. However it�s extremely important for you to realize that these symptoms do, and will, taper off. If you feel the urge, or are tempted to slip: AVOID the situation. Identify the situations when you normally smoke or chew, or feel cravings. For most, high-risk situations include work breaks, finishing meals, having coffee or being in a bar. Plan how you will avoid these situations for a few weeks. Plan for alternate activities. LEAVE the situation. If you find yourself in one of these high risk situations, leave if you can. And, leave before you get a craving. DISTRACT yourself from the craving. If you find yourself in a situation you can't leave and you get a craving, distract yourself from the craving by: Thinking about something else, like your Benefits of Quitting (or how much money you�re saving every week, how your body is healing itself). Doing something else to distract yourself like drinking water or deep breathing exercises. Thinking about an upcoming event in your life, such as a vacation. DELAY acting on the craving If you can't keep your mind off it, then make a deal with yourself that you will wait 5 minutes before you give into the craving. The craving will usually pass in a couple of minutes anyway. If you delay, the craving will go away. Use SELF TALK A craving may be accompanied by negative thoughts about your ability to resist it. Use positive self talk statements to combat your negative thoughts. Lastly, here are a few tips to help you get back into a regular sleep schedule: �Try to get on a sleep schedule. Go to bed at a regular time each night and get up at a regular time in the morning. Try to not stay up late watching TV and try not to sleep during the day. If you get on a sleep schedule, we guarantee that you�ll begin to feel better. �Try to make the room you sleep in as quiet as possible. Consider ear plugs or a sleep mask. �Use your bed only for sleeping. Don�t lounge around in your bed. If you spend too much time lounging in bed, watching T.V., drinking coffee, or eating, your body will learn that your bed is NOT a place for sleeping. �If you can�t sleep after half an hour in bed don�t stay in bed trying to sleep. Get up and do some quiet activity. For example, read a book for a half hour and then try going back to bed. If you still can�t sleep, get up and do something quiet once again. �Try to keep your bedroom at a comfortable temperature - not too cold and not too hot. �Try to get some exercise every day. You�ll feel better and sleep will come much quicker. �Try not to exercise or work hard late in the evening. It could make you feel �wired�. �Don�t drink anything with caffeine or alcohol for 4 hours before you go to bed. �Try not to eat a heavy meal in the evening. Don�t eat just before you go to bed. �If you�re not sleeping at night, avoid naps during the day. �Use relaxation techniques. Deep breathing may help you relax at bed time. Hope this helps. Hang in there! Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 567 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gunnar, Hang in there--there will be easy & hard days in this journey. Keep posting and reading--and keep in mind all the posts that you see here with the great quits come from many true, confirmed smokers--who are really beating this addiction... Try not to look too far ahead--take it a minute at a time....it does get easier with practice.. Stay strong--Deb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/1/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $391.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
16 years ago 0 134 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gunnar, It is hard to quit, I thougt I was going to up mad. I cryed a lot and got more than just a bit cranky. I desided that I would take all my anger and use it to keep my quit. every time I would think about smoking I would get mad at the NICODEMON. I read a post in here that helped me a lot. it was about getting mad at smoking. I can not remember who post it. I will look and see if I can find it. Etta [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/2/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $684.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Gunnar! It may not seem so now, but...yes it gets easier. As stated earlier, it takes about 3 days to get the nicotine out of your system. After that it is just triggered responses that make you want to light up. Stay strong! First day is the roughest. Keep with it. Remember...you can do anything you want. Scream, yell, take a walk, throw a fit, make something/break something.....just don't smoke! We're with you. Danno [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 224 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,385.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49

Reading this thread: