Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,512 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

NEED HELP NOW!!!!

16 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi glad you are back on track.... You are human.. we all screw up.. Quitting is not .always so easy.. otherwise there would not be NRT, non smoking aids or support sites. Sometimes we don't realize how strong those triggers can be... A new Quit.. needs to be protected for awhile.. life and emotions are going to test it, you can't walk around in bubble wrap. Onde day something may set off a BIG crave, another time .. just.. hmph. The thing is we all Opened our selves to nicotine.. NO one did it on purpose or decided oh I would like to be addicted to_______ nicotine. there isn't a switch to turn it off.. we have to work and learn how to say NO.... kind of like training a puppy not to pee on the floor..... if you let it .. it will... but each time you say no and reinforce and reward the No's it becomes a bit easier. We didn't get addicted it one day or one week .... so we are not going to just stop that quickly... it is something that needs to be rewarded and reinforced.. and protected. I am still trying to potectt mine.. and I have to remind myself daily .. many times a day... Smoking.. lighting up is NOT going to change anything you are doing, feeling, going through at the moment.. it's still going to be exactly the same thing to deal with ... only NOW on top of dealing with ____________ you now have to think about buying cigarettes, where to smoke, do I smell like smoke... empty the ashtray.. did I bring enough cigarettes with me.. do I have enough money & cigarettes until pay day. Oh I have to go outside to smoke.. your like has emotions normally to go through and now on top of that you are wondering when, where and how are you going to get that next nicotine fix when you need it.. Once you realizie your life is revoliving around a pack of 20 stinking white sticks that you are going to light.. and burn and throw away... you are going to stand outside hopping around, flapping your arms to dispel the smoke and smell... go blythly inside thinking know one knows what you were doing.... It takes ...like Jim says "PMA" positive mental attitude..... hang in there.. you will get it.. it takes work, hard work.. and that addiction is going to try sooooo hard to pop up and trick you... You have to keep your guard up... you have to protect this "this" is your life.. your lungs.. your heart.. "this" is YOU... hang in there. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/10/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 901 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
tkusant, Stay away from those triggers. You can do it, keep persevering! Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I threw out the cigarettes, took my beer over to my neighbors along with some top shelf rum. My house is ready and so am I. No more alcohol for me and no more cigs. Sorry I messed up yesterday, but I will do this. I know my triggers and now know I need to stay away. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/3/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One thing I just saw on another site: the craving will pass WHETHER OR NOT YOU FEED IT. Time your cravings. You will see how short they last...and remember, each one gets you closer to where you want to be. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1206 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 33,768 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,221.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 172 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$54,776.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 646 Hours: 21

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OOPS... OK Triggers: Soccer/ sports Beer/ Alcohol What are my addictions.. Can I admit I AM addicted to nicotine.. Do I understand what addiction means? Do I understand the term addiction. Do I understand that being Addicted to nicotine.. I have 2 choices... to continue to smoke and feed the addiction.. every 20 or 30 minutes.. or when it screams at me to feed it. Choice to #2 Smoking is NOT an option... there is NO such thing as one puff or one cigarette... once I give my brain cells nicotine they will continue to scream for more. Things that WEAKEN MY WILL POWER 1. Sports 2. Beeer 3_________ 4._____________ make a list of Reasons I am Quitting. Triggers I need to be aware of; understand people otherwise known as NON smokers do things every day.. day in and day out ... without a cigarette. I used... mental pictures of me ... doing... watching a soccer game and having a beer.. witout a cigarette. A friend gave me a hug.. ( I had washed my hair the DAY before) she told me how great my hair smelled and asked what shampoo I used. ) ONLY YOU can decide if you can get past the soccer game or beer without lighting up. If soccer is one sport .. what is the next sport coming up..??? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/10/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 884 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $176.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
YAY!!! This group will be here to support you all the way. You are wise, my friend, and getting wiser. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1206 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 33,768 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,221.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 172 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$54,776.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Okay, I don't drink to much, but that is my trigger. I will redo my quit date. Believe me, I want to quit smoking. I understand that quitting is a life style change and I must do it. I hate it. I do. I will. My new quit date will be tomorrow and now I know I must stay away from my triggers. I will do it!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/1/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You know your trigger, so stay away until you can move into it without temptation. Fight it all the way! Great support and ideas Rusty! Josie, Health Educator
Seems like a quandary. Can't watch soccer without drinking. Can't drink without smoking. Time to look at your priorities, I think. You have to want to quit smoking more than you want to smoke. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1206 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 33,768 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,221.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 172 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
  • Quit Meter

$54,776.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hang in there buddy we are here for u !!!! try chewing on straws or tooth picks in place of the cigs. it seems like you need something to do with your mouth.be strong and just say no to cigs. ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/31/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 30 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5.85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20

Reading this thread: