Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,663 Members

Please welcome our newest members: kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ, Julia725

End of day one, 5:00 trigger coming....

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was thinking about you, and others, who have that after work driving trigger thing going. I like numbers, so I was figuring it out. If you work five days a week, say 50 weeks a year, you have smoked at least 250 of those after work cigarettes per year. Times that by 10 years, that's 2,500. And if you, like most of us, smoked 2 or 3 of those after work cigs on the way home, that is 5,000 or 7,500 of em. In 10 years. If you've been doing it for longer, add on the thousands. So, doesnt it make sense that it will take more than a week, or 5 times, to overcome that particular trigger? The trick is to begin to make a different association with after work driving home, like taking a "long cut" that is more scenic or takes you through a new place, stopping for a run around the park or playground with the kids, going for a few slides down a hill, stopping to rent a movie, going to the library, involving the kids in making up a story that goes on and on every day, planning rewards, chewing on gum, sucking on straws. Like Sue said, play some music that motivates you. You do something enough times, it becomes a habit, good or bad. Up to you which. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 298 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,920 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,026.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 1356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kristilu, I like Nickleback - "ALL THE RIGHT REASONS" , I played it every day, both ways on my commute, full volume. Awesome. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 256 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $448.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
16 years ago 0 515 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kristi Good to hear that you made it thru the day! If I remember correctly you and I are a lot alike and it's those nights when we are not working that kill us the most, so just make sure you keep busy. Clean your house, your closet, anything. Do some art work with the kids. Just keep that mind busy and stay strong, i know you can do it!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 126 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $47.88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 392 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I've made it all day, with ease. I have drank tons of water and chewed lots of gum. Now I'm getting ready for the 5:00 trigger that got me last week. I'm going to pick my kids up and I am going to be deep breathing in the car and finding some music that does the trick. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/14/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34

Reading this thread: