Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Beer.

16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Merlin, This is your quit, do whatever it takes to stay quit! You're right, you're not giving up anything, you gaining strenght! Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too like Merlin made the decision to quit drinking so I give myself a better chance of not relapsing. I actually went to a bar the first day of my quit with my family (grandfathers bday)and I drank Diet Coke, my dad was in and out going for smokes and you know, without the alcohol, it was a lot easier to resist the urge. One suggestion...the nicotine inhaler, it's shaped and coloured like a cigarette so if you use that? For me, not drinking alcohol may be a good thing. My true test comes this weekend as I have an engagement party for friends i am going to at a bar! but I already know that I am going to be strong and not smoke. Good Luck!! and stay smoke free! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/4/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 48 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15.24 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
16 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've realised I have to quit alcohol to quit smoking. Don't know for how long. I like the idea of beer bone connected to the smoke bone. I remember how when I've had a few drinks I forget how much i used to smoke. I would prectically be chain smoking. So for me it wouldnt surprise me that I'd forget that i've quit. The trick is, I suppose, not to see it as "giving up" anything. best to all
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went out tonight w/ a friend I've known since Kindergarten. We started smoking together when we were 13. I actually haven't seen her in about 14 years and last time we spent any time together I was smoking and she was quit. Anyway, we went out and had a "few" beers tonight and it was okay drinking and being in the bar...even watching her leave to go smoke. You know what the hard part was? It was being in her house with like four people smoking. At first I felt like I'd like to have one, but by the time I left I was so grateful I don't smoke. It was a little sad, too, because a couple of the people smoking were her kids who are 17 & 18. I felt sorry for them knowing that they would one day have to struggle with trying to quit like I (we) have. It's 3:30am here and I am going to have to take a shower before I get in bed. Although I didn't smoke, I feel like I've had a pack from all the second hand smoke I enhaled...and I stink! Eww. Did I seriously smell like this all the time? Gross! No wonder my kids complained about it all the time! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 154 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,620 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $900.90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
16 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, I just wanted to say thanks for all these responses! You guys are great, and the advice here is stellar. Here is the progress with my "Drinking/Smoking" association: I had two weekends of "NFL Playoffs" at a bar. I had been avoiding my friends for months so there was pressure, but I felt I was prepared and ready to make a social appearance. I did unfortunatly relapse; The first weekend, I had a half a cig and hated it! It felt great not even to want it! So thats why I went the next - and that weekend I wasnt so lucky, there was 'drama' and I had maybe 5-7. The good news is it didn't stick and I'm back on track. Some responses: Avoidance works! It has its drawbacks however, like being "called out" by friends and whatnot for not going out at all. Plus, its hard to meet anyone when ur home alone. @Penitant/Rusty/Unhooked - I *really like the idea of objectifing my "quit". I must have missed this in some literature>? If I think of my goal as a 'thing' it makes it a lot easier 'protect'. Thanks for this! I will definitely use this in the future! @Alohakeia/Danielle - I think I may just print out this post for the next time I knowingly go into a tempting situation. I could write my coping plans on it too. Then I would then have a physical representation of my "quit", and read it if I get into trouble. Thanks! @mrlucky - Haha. Nice one; so true. My next large social situation isn't until Feb 8-10 so I feel really good that I have these new tools, so thanks again everyone. I will post updates on this! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 481 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $120.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are so many options these days, alternatives to alcohol, that this can be an easy one as opposed to the opposite. I struggled with coffee and its association, in my mind, with nicotine. If you care enough you can break the association if you really want to. It's another one of those learned new behaviors that we all have had to do. It can be done but listen to the advise of many and gain confidence and strength before you try this. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 311 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,220 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,679.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
16 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kodi, Hope you're still hanging in. I actually had my first beer since I quit last night. I knew it would be hard but I wanted to do it while I was at home with no other temptations around. I sat down to play a computer game after work and opened a beer. It was the hardest I've had it all week and I keep reaching for and longing for a smoke. But you know, I'm kind of glad I did it at home and got through it. With the weekend coming and the possibility of hanging out with friends and having a drink, at least I've got over the first hurdle and survived. Now, I don't advocate drinking along, :), but you might want to put it to the test some place safe and controlled first where there are not cigarettes within reach. Good luck! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/14/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 80 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $30.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
16 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ex when I am at a pary I have to take Danielle home.... LOL me xxx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 521 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,462 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �2,735.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 105 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
16 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good stuff! My take on it is the "the drink bone's connected to the smoke bone". [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 55 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 935 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $220.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kodi, Kudos! It is important to identify situations that place you at high risk for slipping and or relapse. Common high-risk situations for many an include: * Being emotionally upset * Social settings in which temptation is likely * Unexpectedly encountering the to-be-avoided object It is equally important to have a plan prepared ahead of time to cope with these situations before we encounter them. Although the easiest way to cope is to avoid these high-risk situations, for some scenarios, it is not possible. For these situations, try writing down the specifics of what happens to you. Ex: When I am stressed, I just want to relieve it by grabbing a cigarette and calming down. Next try finding alternatives to what you habitually do when in this high-risk situation. Ex: When I am at a party, I will moderate my drinking. Ex: When I am at a party, I will chew gum to keep my mouth stimulated. Ex: When I am at a party, I will leave early citing pre-determined excuse Hope this helps. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: