Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

help, help, help

16 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's the end of day 5, and I had a wonderful day with my kids (the Bee movie is not bad). I had several temptations that were very strong-- shopping for dinner I passed by the wine and thought-- gee, a glass of wine would be so nice tonight. That was definately a trigger. I had to shut my eyes hard and breathe, breathe, breathe...then redirect my attention to the kids. No wine. Wine=cigarettes for me. And I (of course) noticed every single smoker that crossed our path... and could smell a cigarette a mile away. Many triggers, and very strong cravings, but the main feeling I had to counter it was that I've come too far to go back. When I got home, my closest friend called. Her sister (who is my age) already has had one lung removed (at age 40), and they just found another spot on her remaining lung. They don't know yet if it has spread, and I pray it hasn't. From the many reasons we have to quit, there's another. Love to you all Deb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 96 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28.08 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb, That sounds like an absolutely wonderful day. You're already getting what this new life is about. Congratulations! You're on your way! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 233 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,584.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 32 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is the way to get it done Good Job, one day at a time :) Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1920 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 38,400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,720.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 270 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$14,606.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 689 Hours: 22

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cydeb Good for you, you are doing something wonderful for yourself, but you are also giving those who love you in this world a magnificent present as well... Stay well and quit nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 320 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,360.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 58 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

$66,706.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1376 Hours: 7

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Good morning everyone. The start of day 5! Thanks nonic and pentitent. That was nice to wake up to. I've planned a day for rewards today. I think for so many years I felt like I was skulking around the fringes of society because I smoked. I'd long to leave the movie theater and go hide behind it to smoke.... to hurry up at the restaurant to go outside (and hide again) to smoke.... etc. It was always about figuring out a way and location to smoke. Many times I just chose not to go because figuring all of that out was just too much trouble, and too embarrassing. Today I'm taking my kids (2 boys age 3 and 17), to brunch, and to the movies, and for a hike. There will be no hiding, or creeping around, or telling the kids 'I'll be right back.' It feels really good, and it feels like I'm joining life-- like I used to feel before I ever smoked at all. I'm going to live my life today instead of watching through a haze from the sidelines. [i]Thanks[/i][i]Thanks[/i][i]Thanks[/i]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And my kids thank you too :) Deb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 96 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28.08 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cydeb I understand the sense of panic that the addiction evokes in us initially. Just remember it is only a sense and in many ways, a shadow that can be shaken. I am happy to see that you note in your post that the craves do pass. Concentrate on that fact when you are deeply involved in one of those gut wrenchers...I went so far as to carry around a stop watch just to remind myself that those times are shorter than the perception we have of them...In fact I never saw one last more than 5 minutes...This is when you need to use distraction techniques...Water is a great one...drink it till you float...Deep breathing is also a god send in those situations...In the extreme if it is really to much to bear leave your surroundings...Even a short span of time will do it for you...Never forget that this is both a physical and a mental addiction...The former is sorted out by time, the latter demands practice as it demands that you follow a path of behavior modification...And as a Social worker you might just have a clue about how hard it is for people to change their way of being... Hang tough, there are many people here wishing you success...They all know that this can be done, now you have to realize that you can do it... Stay well and quit nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 320 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,360.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 58 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
  • Quit Meter

$66,706.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1376 Hours: 7

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Deb, Many Congratulations for toughing it out and coming up with the ball! Day 4 done - welcome to day 5!! Just keep doing it, one day at a time! Good Luck Penitent d1271 :)
  • Quit Meter

$56,947.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1127 Hours: 20

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome Deb. Gold star for you! Just keep that plan in place. When you get stressed...post! Alot of folks here for you! Way to go! Dan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,180 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $564.45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOOHOO!! Deb!! way to hang in! Now you know how to get through a day at work without smoking, so you can do it again. That's worth a reward right there! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 180 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,980.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
Big fat hugs and thank you's from the girl who is finally home from work and who HAS NOT SMOKED. Yeah! Once again I want to say how grateful I am to everyone who responded. I am in awe of the days (and wisdom) you have accumulated, and you are all such an inspiration. I am working this program as hard as a person can, but I really don't think I could be doing this alone. Thanks for being there. Deb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 72 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $21.06 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19

Reading this thread: