Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Resisting doesn't work for me.

16 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BFS - I know what you are saying, I don't think how great it would be, I pick apart the arguments and think about why now, what is making me think that I want one, what exactly does it do for me, what will this accomplish, and by the time I get a little way down that path, the thought is gone like a (pardon the pun) puff of smoke. When I try to push it out of my head and think about something else, I tend to think about it more. One of the reasons cutting back does not work for me. I just thought maybe someone else was like me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,080 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $416.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote] It's really hard to swim and smoke at the same time [/quote] LOL! I couldn't agree more! That's one of the reasons I started swimming so much after I quit smoking! For one, I had more breath control and could swim faster and longer, but another was because that's one activity that you can NOT do while smoking! Although I can't tell you how many times I tried! I'd get in the pool with a cigarette, smoke about 2 puffs and then somebody would make a big splash and put my cigarette out. I used to get so mad at them! What nerve! To splash water in a swimming pool! LOL! :p Carylene, I think that acknowledging cravings, and accepting them as a natural part of quitting, is an important step to getting over this addiction. When I first quit, everybody said "put smoking out of your mind" and I felt bad and wrong for having smoking thoughts - like I was doing quitting "wrong" or something. But then I realized that accepting cravings really does help me let them go. Even now, if I get a smoking thought, I think "it'd be nice to smoke right now" and then all of a sudden, the thought is gone. But what you should NOT do is relish the idea. It's OK to have smoking thoughts. But it's NOT OK to romanticize the idea and make smoking this glamorous thing in your mind. My favorite analogy is: You can't stop a bird from flying overhead and crapping in your hair... but you CAN stop it from building a nest there! That's how I view smoking thoughts. It's OK to let them come, acknowledge them, and then think about all of the reasons why you quit smoking... but it's NOT OK to obsess over it and keep wishing that you could do it. That's where thinking about smoking gets dangerous. Does that make any sense? Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 726 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,998.38 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
16 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeppers - You are right....We can't always just make those thoughts go away. I have found that getting busy with activities that aren't associated with smoking has made life easier (It's really hard to swim and smoke at the same time...) Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 275 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,500 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,375.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have chased people who are smoking to breathe second hand smoke. Just to test and temp myself... I will always be a junkie. This stuff is too powerfull to resist. Peace [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 73 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 876 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $365.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
Tom, no offense at all. I think this has been the most entertaining quit because when I really think about it, how silly those thoughts are, they not only disappear, but I get a little chuckle. I have a little junkie living inside, and boy is she a stoop. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,720 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $344.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Carylene, I hope you didn't take offense to my last post, I assure you none was intended. I was making fun of the junkie think. It never ceases to amaze me how twisted our thoughts can get when the junkie talks. I don't give my junkie the time of day, it doesn't deserve it (no redeeming qualities). I also don't ignore it when it talks. I shut it down with common sense as quickly and abruptly as possible. I'm so conditioned to do this that when I see it I respond, thus my last post. I really need to complete my thoughts better so others that don't know what I'm thinking have an idea of what I mean. This is a problem I'm working on and like most of us I'm a work in progress. Hang in there, you're doing great. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 81 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,620 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $340.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
Lamplighter - exactly. And this quit is different it is the first time I haven't been in a constant state of denying myself. What a difference [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,680 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $336.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
16 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"Feel the burn". That was my approach to cravings. I didn't resist them, I let them come... and I knew that with every craving that came, I was changing. I was/am becoming a non-smoker. The cravings can't hurt me, unless they compel me to take a smoke. But I didn't allow that, and I won't. Instead, when the cravings come... I embrace them, and watch them die in my arms. The cravings used to be fierce, and now? When they do come, they're an annoyance at worst. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 89 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $823.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
16 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cary Resist not evil...A dictum in many faiths and a a very difficult one to comprehend...for me in any case...I think you just demonstrated it beautifully...Its one I need to remember, thank you... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 160 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,800 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,120.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 29 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Carylene, Thanks for the tip! Danielle _______________________ The SSC Support Team

Reading this thread: