Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

I'm Angry too!

16 years ago 0 232 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, my junkie mind just came up with a new one. I was reading this thread, and started thinking...well, if I can't have one smoke...maybe I could just chew some gum. Yeah, that's it. I'll just get a lil' ole pack of that nicotine gum... Dear Lord. I quit cold turkey almost three months ago. I thought I'd run through every stupid junkie trick in the book by now. Gotta give the nicodemon credit for creativity though, doncha think? Legend [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 516 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $107.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
16 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
tryagain: If memory serves me right, your job entails dealing with the public and keeping them content (most of the time at your expense). You are probably using the nicotine to up your mood so that you can get through the tense times. I understand this very well (let me know it I am wrong on this). I deal with my working environment in much the same way and I used gum for awhile as you are doing now. All I can tell you is this...YOU CAN HANDLE IT WITHOUT THE GUM...I understand if you are not yet sold on this concept...It took me quite awhile to accept it myself...I needed the nicotine, 2mg per day, to raise my mood. Finally I said this is absolutely crazy...If I can go through a day and all I need is 2mg to make it right and I have come so far in this quit...I WILL KNOCK OUT THE 2mg...I did so and I can tell you that once you apply your faith in this way and stick to it for a bit of time, you will have it kicked... You sound like what I call an "emotive" smoker. That is what I am and I have self medicated for years...You can break away from it, it won't be easy and there will be times when your mood will go on high alert and you will need to remind yourself not to scream at the idiotic behavior of the clients with which your job requires you to deal... Please keep trying it is well worth all of your efforts... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 148 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,036.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady hit the nail on the head when she said you have to embrace your quit. I catch myself fighting it sometimes and those are the times I struggle the most. Accepting the fact that I can no longer smoke seems to have a bit of a calming effect (most of the time) ;) Tryagain, I think it's great that you've made it this far and you should be proud of yourself for hanging in there. Keep going forward and don't look back! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 238 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $58.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain, You have every right to feel angry. Over 100 days and still craving? Life just isnt fair that way. At least you've let me know that the feeling wont being going away. Be proud that your stronger than the craving though. And remeber, legally your allowed to kill up to 3 people while quitting smoking within the first 6 months. Its part of the patriot act! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TryAgain, I whole heartedly agree with Lady. I too had difficulties well beyond 100 days... in fact, my last "slip" was at 132 days. For me, the low level hummmmmm lasted quite some time after 100 days. But the good days slowly started coming one every once in a while and then more and more frequent until there just aren't any bad days due to cravings. I don't have those days. Sure, I get a smoking thought every once in a while, but it's gone quicker than it came and that's it. So there IS hope for you. That low level crave IS annoying though. Shevie once likened it to an annoying telemarketer... you know you're not going to buy, but they keep hounding you anyway! But that does go away! I promise! As others have said, I do believe that once the nicotine is out of your system, you will notice a remarkable difference... maybe not right away, but you WILL notice a difference for the better soon! Just hang in there. It gets SO much better! Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 703 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,575 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,903.39 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
tryagain, I agree about the gum and what everyone is saying here. I just wanted to chime in and let you know that as a cold turkey quiter, at 100+ days, the quit was easier than it had been in the beginning however, it wasn't over. We smoke for many years and our bodies don't get over it over night. I literaly had to learn how to live without smoking. For some the changes are not bad and they adapt quickly, for me, it wasn't like that. I held on to my quit but I fought it too. I know that sounds crazy, especially to me now, but it is the truth. Someone told me to "embrace" my quit and that attitude made a huge difference. The important thing is that you don't smoke! As long as you don't lite up, no matter what, it keeps getting better and better. The craves do go away. I promise. Lady [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 689 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,780 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,411.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 62 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The nag feelings will disappear once you are weaned off the nicotine. You are doing great so don't get so upset now. Just stay with your original plan. Congrats on 113 days ---- [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,512.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty, I tend to agree with you. Which is why this box is the last. I've been cutting them in half, trying to reduce the number as well as the dosage. The reason why I'm really being cautious and taking so much time is that I quit cold turkey once and it was so horrible, I don't think I can do it again. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 114 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,140.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
16 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
They're all right....time to come off the gum....all you are doing is continuing to give the junky enough to keep him nagging. quitting has to be a "choice" that you embrace. You can't entertain thoughts about smoking or romanticize your smoking past. tell yourself that any day you don't smoke is a "good" day.....look at it....straight on.....you are letting negative thinking about your quit to creep in.....keep your quit on the "positive" side...it's GOOD...make sure your thoughts are that way also. you will have to consciously drive out the thoughts for a bit and deliberately replace them with positive thoughts....but soon it will become automatic and you will begin to see the truth and feel the freedom that comes with it Katy Kickin' ASH for......Five years, four months, two weeks, three days, 6 hours, 18 minutes and 53 seconds. 78530 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,190.36. Life saved: 38 weeks, 6 days, 16 hours, 10 minutes. - [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1963 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 78,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11,189.10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 257 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
  • Quit Meter

$158,949.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5342 Hours: 22

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 15

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try Again - I agree about the nicotine from the gum helping to keep you in this pit. BUT I really really believe that you have to do some soul searching and make the decision that you will look at this whole quitting thing as the positive it truly is. I can't help picking up vibes that part of you is still thinking about what you've lost and not focusing on the brighter, healthier future you are gaining. :8o: I would love to see you try to REFUSE to dwell on these nagging cravings. When they start, you must acknowledge them, but then remind yourself that you don't smoke anymore and tell them to buzz off. Just my 2 cents. Hope you don't mind my comments - but I hate to see people suffering when they could be rejoicing! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 624 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $212.16 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
  • Quit Meter

$119,552.36

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6402 Hours: 2

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: