Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

See it for what it is?

17 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great Post that about sums up what it is all about, clearly and accuratley. I'm so glad I found this site and all the wonderful people who take their valuable time to post here. God Bless all ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 798 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $790 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote] How do I train my mind to not have the Strong Urge in response to those kinds of triggers? [/quote] Alohakeia, I can only tell you what I do, and that it seems to work pretty well. Perhaps because I believe it's the truth. When the cravings come, big or small, I don't argue with them. My attitude is, "Whine all you want. Kick, scream, demand... that's fine with me. This is a done deal. No amount of craving is going to change that, so let the cravings come" I just live my life as a nonsmoker... and the cravings be damned. They can be present or they can be gone, but they won't change a thing. I'm never going back. I'm through. I don't drink gallons of water, I don't puff on pretzels. There's nothing wrong with doing those things, I just don't do them. I do go for walks... I do pay more attention to what's going on around me, I do think of all I have to be grateful for... but not to trick my mind. I do it because I'm tired of being half alive. I want to experience life more fully... so I want to pay more attention to just how terrific life is. I guess there's nothing all that special in what I do. But it's working very nicely for me. I smoked a pack a day for 35 years... and I just plain want something better! I'm enjoying my life today. I insist on enjoying it... smoke-free. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 521 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $185 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the reply, Stickin! i've filled out all the workbook things..maybe i need to review them? im using this forum as one of my substitutions for smoking...seems to work...lucky i work at home and can access it all the time...lol Also am drinking lots of water. Holding tight..I know it will get easier. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 188 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Reward yourself with something other than a smoke. Get up and take a walk, stretch, say hello to someone, have a carrot or celery stick, have some water, brush your teeth. The mind training comes from the denying and substitute process and gives you more strenth for the next occurence Strength builds upon strength. Have you had a chance to work the SCC program tools?
ok, so I am totally committed to my quit. I've been around smokers, and havent had the urge then. But! Lots of other triggers...when I complete a task, I want to reward myself with a cigarette. The new non-smoker me doesn't, but the conditioned smoker me does. How do I train my mind to not have the Srong Urge in response to those kinds of triggers? Is it just every time I resist it is building new response patterns? Hanging in there... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 185 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
See it for what it is� I really had to battle to quit; it was touch and go the first couple to three months, although it got easier after the first couple weeks. The smoking pattern was built into almost every activity I had done just about my entire life. Dig deep, know that the cravings will pass; believe this, believe in yourself. We all start off at ground zero and our destination is over there. Where did you say? Ok way over there. In fact it is so far over there you can�t see it right? But its there, it is over there. So how do you get there? We all know this answer by now, one minute, hour, day at a time. As you journey, the fog that surrounds you begins to lift, you become enlighten and awaken. You suddenly realize that you do have this opportunity to quit; you can taste it, it�s within your grasp, it over there. I�m feeling it now and can see what lies ahead. I just got to get there. How you say? Well surely now it is day by day, every other day or every third day. That is the journey�s progression. Note your progress, see it and rejoice in it. Train your mind to ignore the urges. You can beat this and don� think not even for one moment, that you can get away with a puff. Forget about it. Forget about how you think you liked smoking. See that it has done nothing positive for you, see that it won�t do anything positive for you, and see that it can�t do anything positive for you. See it for what it is, it is a cancer stick. Yes that�s correct a cancer stick. Believe these words Smoking is not an option. We as adults need to take charge of our lives; we don�t need things taking charge of us. You decide to be the boss. Now then let�s get back in the wagon and continue on with our journey. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 428 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,429 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2247 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 79 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stickin Thank you for this...You are right on the target...This is about getting over there, one day at a time...And most important of all, 1 puff can not be taken...The fact is that it does get easier, once you get easier with the quit... Thanks for sharing and wow you are rackin up the days...You should be very very proud...and firm in your resolve to NOPE... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 93 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,248 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $651 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
Great suggestion, Rainie. Thanks. I think that is one that will work for me. Boy, I love this site!!! oh! and congratulations on your 2 months!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 263 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $40.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BUMP for newbies! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 586 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $242.65 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't get REALLY bad cravings too often anymore but when I did this what I LEARNED and it really helped me. My cravings were SUCH a mental thing. I would have all these voices going crazy in my mind. It finally dawned on me that I could really only have 1 thought at a time. Right? So, I would close my eyes and start describing something to myself in my mind. Like a beach scene, how I would like to decorate my house, what kind of vacation I would like.... I did these descriptions in GREAT detail. Like describing a beach scene would mentally take me 15 minutes or so. I would describe colors, temperature, textures, wild life, foliage....etc... This would calm me down and bring my logical thinking back to the forefront. Keeping busy was also a help! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,248 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $255.44 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11

Reading this thread: