Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Wondering when I'll be able to go back downstairs...

17 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey, everyone. Well, our son went back to his home. Now, our nephew is back from his vacation. He lives with us and, yes, he smokes too. But... I am doing better about going downstairs some. I've got to get used to it. I can't spend the rest of my life up here! Mately hasn't given me a hard time about it at all. She's very supportive and thats a huge help, as I am leaning on her so much through this! At least I don't feel like the crazy woman up in the attic so much now! Thanks for your help through this. Stay strong! :)Pat. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 353 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
  • Quit Meter

$95,400.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6028 Hours: 13

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Well, another one down. I'm feeling better than I did earlier. Thanks for the support and tips. I think what was really bothering me was fighting off the habit. With the patches, I don't miss the nic. But the habit is a monster at times. I know it will get better. Good night everyone. :)Pat. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
  • Quit Meter

$95,400.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

This is so strange to me. Maybe I'm like the crazy aunt in the attic? Only no one is stopping me from going downstairs except me. Our son is in and he has been great about going out to smoke. I really appreciate it. But, just the thought of him going out there to smoke, or the awful smell on his jacket...even the thought he is still smoking and I am not is setting me on edge. No. I don't want to smoke. I don't want to have anything further to do with it. This is my 5th day and I'm still coughing all night long. I've never felt so strong about my quit before. Which is also different as I didn't feel this strongly about it when I laid them down this time. But the desire has grown everyday since. I'm having a hard time articulating the point or question of my post. I'm still in my p.j.'s for goodness sake! I'm just so nervous when I do go downstairs. I nearly run to throw together something to eat or grab my coffee and then back to my room. I hope this doesn't last very long. I've got so much to do after the holidays, like everyone. Sorry for the blathering on. Tomorrow will be better. :8o:Pat. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 187 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

$95,400.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Pat - Funny thing happened to me today, my first day. I went out shopping, just to stay busy. Every smoker I ran into made me sick, just on my first day! The bad smell and the sad look on the smoker's faces were disgusting. I went home and read a book. I'm at the end of my 1st day and just as I thought, it was uneventful. Very few cravings and hardly any withdrawl. I didn't even eat that much. I am a little tense, though. I don't have any real 'coping stategies' - I'll cross those bridges as I come to them. The only thing that I did differently this quit was: - I bought (and read) "The Easiest Way To Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr - I visited my MD, got a physical and a precription of Chantix - I've planned this quit date for months I'm done. Don't worry about anyone else but yourself right now. Peace. 2tone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$357,753.38

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9153 Hours: 7

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went through a similar thing. I couldn't set in my livingroom. I avoided it for at least two weeks. Every once in awhile I still feel the ich and have to leave that room-not that often now. It was one of my favorite places to smoke. My boyfriend still smokes in there but now has to sit by an exhaust fan and put up with the hum of an air purifier. I also felt like I was being unsocial and like we were growing apart. It was all in my head. Do what you have to do to protect your quit everything will pass and you will feel stronger for it. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,344 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $286 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
First, welcome. My response to this is first, congratulations to you on your struggle to quit. Secondly, that you can only control yourself. Thank god you have your son with you. Your modeling will make a silent impact on him. I know that I have had people in my past who have ever so gently shown support of me regardless of my smoking (actually a support of not smoking, but in a subtle gesture). It is natural to want to rid yourself of all temptations of smoking (yes, his behavior is a temptation). It may be hard to express support of him while at the same time struggling for your quit. Such is the role of parenthood. We are with you. Lean on us. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 398 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $195 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 290 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Pat.The very fact that you came up with the word "articulating" is an excellent sign you are doing great!! The smell on your sons jacket, or the smell of someone in an elevator (who just burnt one) or anywhere for that matter. That is the confirmation for me (and it sounds like you too) That you don't like smelling like that anymore. You are doing great....You will be able to go out of your room soon! Try to create a new schedule, getting off of nicotine is only part of the quitting process. Your body and mind are in a tug o' war of what you should do with your (usual) Smoking related time. Get out and live life and create new non-smoking related memories. It will and does get easier, Keep it up---Kevin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 993 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $225.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 738 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know exactly what you mean. I was terrified of going to the store I usually bought smokes in. I had a panic attack (my first, and hopefully never again) the first time I did go there. I wanted to keep my quit so much that I was nearly hyperventilating. But now I don't even look at the smokes, I just get what I came for (usually gum and candy--no wonder I out grew my jeans!) without stressing. Articulate all you like. There was someone here the other day pontificating. Geeze, we could all get edited for proper vocabulary. No one will understand us and they'll think we are being dirty! LOL! Just remember NOPE = Not One Puff Ever! Denise [IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p300/DeeKaySss/daffy.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,165 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $540 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeppers - I agree with Dune - I would have never been able to think of the word "articulate" let alone spell it during the first week! Does your son live with you or is he visiting? If he is there frequently, why don't you use your room as a "safety zone". That way you can go down and visit but remove yourself to your "safety zone" when it gets to be too much. I wasn't sure if you were referring to your "desire to smoke" or your "desire to quit" but I assume your desire to quit is growing stronger! If so, good for you....I think that it will only get better. The first 2 - 3 weeks are all about you! Do what you need to do to protcct your quit.......and plan a BIG reward for each week too! All the best! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,135 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $530 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ttin, My heart goes out to you. Kicking this awful addiction is tough at the beginning. It gets us physically and emotionally, doesn't it? I'm sure that no-one who knows that you are trying to quit would expect too much from you at the moment. Be gentle to yourself for the first two weeks, you will probably feel a bit more 'normal' after that. Spend as much time on your own as you need, I reckon. Or, on the other hand - get crazily busy. Distraction is key at the mo. One more thing - keep posting! Wishing you all my best, Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 148 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,228 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �444 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29

Reading this thread: