Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Question for quitters who are using/used Zyban

17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Janice -- I did Zyban, and what I learned from my doctor and pharmacist was that it was best to be on it for 2 weeks or so before the quit date. I did not know that before... it made it big difference to me. Now I am hearing far better things about Chantrix, but I think it depends on where you are. Me, if I had it to do all over again (and I hope I never do!), I would go with Chatrix. peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,823 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $198 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 132 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jan, My sister used Zyban and it worked very well for her. She has been smoke-free for over 3 years now. I have read that in a study where Zyban was used jointly with the patches that people had a much higher rate of success. (Rate of success was measured by counting the people still not smoking after one year). I would have done this also but am allergic to all anti-depressant meds. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,938 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $616 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So am I, Phillip! I just got really tired of the depression and figured there had to be another solution. I was thinking of staying away til quit date, but I really don't want to. Posting here keeps me encouraged. Cheers, Janice [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
I have never used Zyban before, and that in conjuction with the patch is my plan of action. In 2006 alone I have made at LEAST 5 attempts to quit. The longest I have remained smoke free was 22 days. Depression associated with quitting has always been the MAJOR thorn in my side. So I'm very anxious to know what some of your experiences with Zyban have been. Looking forward to hearing from you! Cheers, Janice [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
thanks for all the advice. It seems really encouraging, and believe it or not, I'm really excited about becoming smoke free once again. Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Thanks for the info, sillyme. I'm feeling really encouraged. Good advice about the coffee. I have coffee morning and after supper. Tea in between. Probably a good idea to cut out the evening coffee. Thanks again, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 589 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jan, I used wellbutrin too, I have only been on one a day and most of the time its prescribed as two per day...doc was worried about my not having benefits at the time i think. Anyways it worked for me, I took it for about 3 weeks before I quit and started with cutting back by one per day until my quit date. At that time I also started on the patch. I don't think I could have made it through without both. I am still on the wellbutrin, my doctor thinks keeping me on it for a year will help me to keep quit and go through that year thing that everyone talks about, how you have to go through all 4 seasons. I didn't go through the no energy spells that people talk about. Mind you I still have those crying days, but I remember that I also had those before I quit smoking. One thing I would suggest is that if you are a coffee drinker that you cut back as much as you can or you might not be sleeping well. I love my coffee but that in combination with the wellbutrin will definitely keep me wide awake! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 115 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,246 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $450.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jan I did not use Zyban, I could not I had used similar for depression earlier in my life and I had many egregious side effects. This said there are many that have used Zyban and it has been very effective. Work with your Dr closely and get the "cocktail" that is right for you. Hope all is well. I am looking forward to your new quit. Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 291 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,283 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2328 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Janice. I used Wellbutrin XL (same basic stuff) when I quit. There was a definite elevation in my mood when I started taking it, according to my wife and coworkers. Personally, all I noticed was I felt happier than normal. I stayed on it for about a month until I had a strange "reality perception" event and decided to lower my dosage for a week, then stop it altogether. There have been people who have successfully quit with it and people who had problems with it. I certainly hope you are in the former group, Jan. Depression is, IMO, the biggest quit-killer there is. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 561 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,226 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2131.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 104 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jan, You have received a lot of personal advice on what worked for others. Take the time to check with your doctor and pharmacist to come up with a plan that is right for you. You can visit our sister site at [url=http://www.depressioncenter.net]www.depressioncenter.net[/url] to assist you with questions and concerns that you may have with Depression. There is a depression test you can fill out and take a copy to your doctor. This can help you assess the situation better. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: