Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Time Smoking = Harder Quit?

18 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I've smoked for 5 years. I was a pack a day. I don't know what your quit has been like. But I alos thought it would be easier for me because of the duration I smoked. But it doesn't seem to be that much easier. I hope yours will be. Better to quit now and not have years and years under your belt. Keep up the good fight sfr [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 153 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $34.23 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
18 years ago 0 1262 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nope Neek I don't think its easier for you at your young age. I am 47 and smoked 34 years. If were easy I would have done it when I was 26. I can say, if I had this forum when I were age and if I had a bunch of older people to support me and hear about the stuff they have been through, I might have been able to quit at your age. I can also tell you smoking is my BIGGEST REGRET in life. And that quitting is thing I am most proud of myself for doing in my life. I can't nag my nieces and nephews Neek about quitting.........so I love talking to young people that are open to this. I am so proud of you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 671 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $132 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
18 years ago 0 1262 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Neek Way to go......3 weeks is awesome!!! More stuff about is it easier when your 26 compared to when your 46?? I think ABSOLUTELY NOT. However, If you stay quit.....when your my age of 46ish, you won't be saying, If I had only stayed quit 20 years ago at the age of 26 I wouldn't have emphysema. If I had quit at the age of 26 I wouldn't look like I were 56 instead of younger then 46. If I stayed quit at age of 26, I would still have all of my beautiful white healthy teeth. If I had stayed quit at age 26 I wouldn't have spent an additional $50,000 on something that is going to kill me!! (making that number up.....but imagine its not too unrealistic) 20 years at 4.50 a day is about $38,000 but cigs might be $10 a pack a decade from now! Stay Quit Neek and Congrats on 3+ weeks!!! Signed Serious REGRETS for not quitting in my 20's [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 726 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $144 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Same here....30 years for me but unless you just started smoking last week, I'd say not to expect an easier ride. But it will be easier than some who have already gotten COPD or worse. Look at it this way, though: you won't have 30 years of constant assault on your heart and lungs and you'll recover a lot quicker from the lesser amount of damage cigs have done. Get it over with now. You can't even use the excuse us older smokers have of how "glamorous" it was to smoke at one time, because now we're no better than heroin junkies. Societal pressure does make it easier....take advantage of it. Congrats on your quit Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,028 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $225 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Neek, I agree with butterfly swimmer. I don't think it makes any difference 5 years - 50 years. But of course the 50 year smoker has done alot of damage to his/her health.... Wish there was a magic pill, but I think we all look for the easy way out. Stay strong!!!! Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 68 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,167 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $238 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
  • Quit Meter

$229,943.81

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6397 Hours: 3

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello For what its worth I smoked fo 36 years, I am 49 years old and I think that it is all the same. It is all about dealing with addiction and what happens in our brain and body when we are chemically dependent. The one thing that is simple and never easy is that one smoke will mean that I am smoking and back in the addiction. I don't think any one here has an easy time of this, (check your post NEEK). This is simply HARD. Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 533 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $195 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
18 years ago 0 415 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I smoked for 12 years and quitting was a real bi*ch. The only way I would really know if its harder for those who smoke longer is well smoke longer...everybody handles their quit differently and some who have smoked for years and years may have an easier time then a 5 year smoker. I believe every individual is exactly that, an individual. People handle things differently. I think its difficult for mostly everyone at times its just how determined you are to stay quit that makes the difference! Just be glad you quit when you did...you get a jump on those lovely withdrawl symptoms! ;p The Chicken [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 318 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $116.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Neek, well done on 3 weeks! I won't repeat what has already been said but what I will say is that, through the experience of us lifetime smokers who all regret what we have done to our bodies, you have the chance now to not take that step. You have your life in front of you and the benefits you will get from maintaining this quit are immesurable. You are smart because you are here, you have made great progress so far, from now on it is dead easy - just don't smoke. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 499 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �102.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
18 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi i am 55 and smoked for 38 years there is no easy way out. The only way out is through it. We are addicts addicted to nicotine and can never smoke again because one would never be anough Smoky [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/27/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 563 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
18 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Neek. This is an interesting point. I had successfully quit for 4 years and then relapsed. I knew that I would quit again and figured that it would be easier this time since I hadn't been smoking for too long. (Last time I had been a smoker for 20 years). It took 4 monts of smoking 25 cigs a day before the effects on my breathing made me want to quit again. Well...I soon found out that it was not easier. The first couple of weeks may not have been as difficult as the habit of smoking was not as ingrained in my brain but the 30 day mark,when you have to accept life as a non smoker was every bit as hard as it was the first time around. One thing that I have learned is that the hardest part of quitting is quitting. My children ask," why does Dad still smoke when he knows how bad it is?". I tell them, that is the hardest part of addiction..it makes you not want to stop. I am so thankful that I have given myself another chance at freedom.I will not be foolish enough to think that if I start smoking again that I will be able to quit again. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,783 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $798.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56

Reading this thread: