Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,553 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

is weight loss impossible?

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ryan22, With weight gain/loss, everyone is different. What we choose to eat or not eat will play a big role in weight gain or loss, at any stage in your life. With quitting, stick to a healthy diet. Watch your daily cal. intake. Do not binge in junk foods. And stay active. Take Care, Melanie _____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ryan, If you feel you are getting many different answers, your best bet is making an apt with your Family Doctor or going to see a nutritionist. Hope this helps, Melanie ____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
well......if you don't make up for the food with exercise, then yes, you'll gain weight. not sure what you are after, but it sounds like validation to start back smoking again? substitute a snack for a brisk walk - even 15 minutes 3x a day will do wonders..... good luck, and stay strong! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 746 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $330.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ryan, Exercise doesn't have to be a bad word. You don't have to go to a gym and sweat your butt off to exercise. Finding a sport or activity that you enjoy is even better because you will keep doing it. Even skinny people need to stay active to lead their 'best' life. ~all the best N2k [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 171 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,762 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $855 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You'll only gain weight if you intake more calories than you burn. Limiting carbohydrate intake and exercising more will help keep the pounds off. I was 226 when I went to the doctor for the Wellbutrin Rx, topped out at 247 just before Thanksgiving, held around 244 through Chrustmas and New Years, and am now at 232. I cut out soda pop, cookies at lunch, and snacks of candy bars, crackers and chips. I've also limited my bread intake to about 1/2 of what it was (I love bread). I have retained my evening scoop of ice cream, and popcorn (no butter) during the Red Green show on Saturday nights. You just gotta have some enjoyment in life :). Exercise is spotty. I get to the gym at least once a week and do about 30 minutes on the treadmill or stationary bike to get my heart rate up to the top of my target zone (133 - 140), then about another 30 - 45 minutes using the resistance machines. On the weekends my wife and I go somewhere to hike a couple of miles. Pounds may come, and pounds may go, but a quit must be forever. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 259 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,195 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $984.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Ryan. I just posted to CJ's "Junk in my Truck got me in a Funk !!!" thread in this forum. If there are any responses to it you may be interested in them. I propose a theory about why we gain after quitting and exercise doesn't seem to have any effect. It's just an idea, but it may get some good input. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 260 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,210 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $988 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
18 years ago 0 586 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ryan, Actually (or should I say "Unfortunately"), you can gain weight even if you don't eat more. It seems smoking speeds the metabolism and when we stop smoking it slows. Smoking burned about 250 calories or so per day. When you no longer smoke, if you don't adjust your diet and exercise to account for that, you'll gain... however, the average person that stops smoking shouldn't gain more than about 8 to 10 lbs. Not too shabby considering the health you're getting in return! Smoking is the equivalent of carrying arount 100 excess pounds. :8o: I'm one of those that worried about gaining....it (foolishly) was a major thing that kept me from quitting for a long time. As it turned out, even though I eat healthy and work out, I gained some weight when I quit... but yanno what? That's alright. I have it off now and this is probably the healthiest I've been in 30 years! In addition to that...no more smoker's wrinkles forming, my skin is healthier, I can workout without getting winded or hacking, my teeth are no longer nicotine stained.. I could go on and on...but it's allll good. Keep focused on your quit, then when you're strong on your feet, tackle any weight gain. I promise...It's worth the effort :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/2/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 369 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,397 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1317.33 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
  • Quit Meter

$18,699.23

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 690 Hours: 13

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 586 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ryan, I'm so sorry if I confused you. What we've all told you is true. I can tell you're very concerned about weight gain but please don't overthink it. I did for way too long and I regret it. Don't let that issue overwhelm your quit. Just be aware that it can happen...but also, as Melanie has stated, you can control a big part of it. I exercised before I quit smoking and not just for weight (although it helps keep it in check)...and most of mine is as simple as hiking or walking. Just take your quit day by day and don't worry about crossing bridges unless you come to one... you may very well be overly concerned about something that won't happen for you. After all, most of us are older... you have youth on your side. Again, I apologize if I confused you. You're doing such a great job...don't let go of that quit. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/2/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 370 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,407 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1320.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

$18,699.23

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 690 Hours: 13

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
see, now you guys say one thing..and missy fit says something completely different. Who am I to believe? Missy do you have to exercise everyday for the rest of your life or what? How long did it take you to loose the weight?
  • Quit Meter

$37,611.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 778 Hours: 17

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Seriously, will someone just answer this. Is it true that NO MATTER WHAT WE EAT we will gain weight? If we do, that really sucks.
  • Quit Meter

$37,611.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 778 Hours: 17

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: