Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Jeez!!

16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ALL IS TOTALLY NORMAL. Your body is just as sick from being a smoker as if you had a flu. Infact...it is sicker. Be kind to yourself and rest...eat well...and be patient. Let it heal on it's own terms. Your body is really crying out to be itself for a change instead of every part of it being controled. Stick with it and in a little while you will recognize all the "Thank you's" it will say to you. Your doing great. IT DOES...DOES...DOES....GET EASIER. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 367 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,640.49 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, island girl you get to take nonsmoke breaks too. Dont forget that [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 307 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,280 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,087.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Islandgirl, As you can see you are not alone. As a smoker, everytime you weren't smoking, your body tried to repair the damage those cigarettes introduced. Now that it has been given a good length of time, it may have kicked itself into overdrive. It could also be that because this healing is first priority, fighting any other critters running around in your body is out of the question. If symptoms persist or worsen, see your doctor. Take good care of yourself until then. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quitting is not easy, but it does pass. The process is an interesting ride. First you get all excited about quitting and then you do and then the body rebels. Sweats, feeling sick, tired and just lost. Then you get though a few days and start feeling better and start feeling like I can do this and then the monster start to play with the mind. The key is do this one day at a time or a minute at a time and just don't light up. As far a break while taking care of your mother maybe a short walk. Not sure what kind of weather you have where you live, but a walk around the block same amount of time you would be out to smoke. Just hang in there. Keep the Quit Sparky [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 268 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,680 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $402.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 37 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
16 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
IslandGirl - Yes, many many many of us experienced the flu or at least something with flu-ish symptoms when we first quit. Some people think it's the toxins leaving your body - essentially part of withdrawal. I'm not sure what causes it - but it certainly is a common experience. I remember being angry because I'd hoped to have the sensorial benefits of quitting to help motivate me - improved sense of smell, improved sense of taste, increased energy, etc. Instead I couldn't smell or taste anything, was really fatigued, and all of that other lovely stuff that comes with being sick. Anyway - I didn't stay sick - it passed. Just like each craving/thought/desire to smoke - they all pass, you just need to hold on! You've made it through the first few days - a huge accomplishment. Keep doing what you're doing...one minute/hour/day at a time! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 333 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,655 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,164.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,525.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5541 Hours: 8

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes as you sign off at the bottom, This to Shall Pass, i had all sorts of things i felt in the beginning, isent it awful how we can get all this from not haveing a cigarette?? Dont give in to its powers, show it you are the stronger one, take care and sty close to us have a great day, and if you really get worried about one the Symptons see a doctor :) Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1994 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,880 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,979.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 285 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$14,591.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 689 Hours: 5

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Blue Cloud and Anna. I have been pushing lots of ice water, did a little research and will try some bananas, as soon as I feel good enough to go to the store and get some! Anna, love the pix of your dog, looks ilke mine. And Blue cloud, you are a caregiver also? This is a comfort to me, I had quit smoking for over a year and when My Mom went blind, I began again. Now eight years later, it is just harder than ever to quit. Cigarettes were my excuse to get out of hte house for a few minutes and have some time to myself, something caregivers get very little of. Thanks for the support, ladies, I sure appreciate it!
16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Islandgirl, I felt sick, Probably was sick. I thought I was loosing my mind. I had been feeling bad for some time before I quit. I practicly smoked non stop the last week.This is from a journal I keep. "I�m smoke free now for 16 days now. I�m having a harder time dealing with the facts of my life than I am with the cravings. It�s not that I want to smoke, it�s that I want to take the edge off my nervous body. I want the calming �it will be okay� feeling. Oh, I do know that is a fantasy too! The raising of the blood pressure. The racing beating of the heart and the feeling of shame for having once again been unfaithful to yourself." If you are in pain see your Doctor. Quitting is very taxing on the mind and body. The good news. You only have to quit once. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 203 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,060 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $812.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
16 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have read that alot of people didn't feel well. Research online about withdrawl symptoms, I bet you will see that you are completely normal! Go ahead and baby yourself. Don't forget to drink lots of water to flush out all toxins. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 380 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,700 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,596.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 36 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
16 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK, I have not had a cigarette since 8 PM Sunday evening...I am proud of myself that I have not "caved in", I am determined. But, just a question here for you experienced former smokers. I feel sick, is this normal? My stomach hurts, I was up most of the night, it is like my body is really ticked at me for no nicotine..or maybe I just have the flu? Has anyone else expeienced flu like symptoms during this "lovely" first week of breathing better?

Reading this thread: