Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Is it like alcoholism ?

17 years ago 0 126 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
They are both KILLERS.They destroy not only the users life but also innocent bystanders.You could consider them as brothers of death,as they both cause alot of sorrow and death.HEED this advice ,if you dont do either of these dont start,if you do ,then STOP !!!!
17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Actually in a way it is like alcoholism ... in the sense that we CAN'T have just one. It's all or nothing. That's why you will see the acronym N.O.P.E. here so much - it stands for Not One Puff Ever. Because once we let the junkie back in with that 1 cigarette, he'll be back for more. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 392 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $130.56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

$119,586.58

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6403 Hours: 19

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 533 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jon...Iin the very beginning of my quit all I could like about was going outside to have a smoke...It was as though I was obsessed by it...Now I get a thought that I could now go out and have one but I am able to self talk and remind myself that I have chosen to quit...In the beginning it was really hard...I felt like I HAD to Smoke...Now I am to the point where I know that it is MY choice...Hope it makes sense.....Looks like were the same quit day! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 133 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jon! In the early days of my quit my thoughts were consumed with smoking. This lasted quite awhile. Now they have faded to memories or brief fleeting thoughts or flirtations of smoking. With time, these get fewer and farther in between. Occassionally I still get the "Dammit, I WANT one" thoughts, but those are becoming rare as well. I hope, and perhaps one of the more mature (I did NOT say old) quitters will respond, that with time these thoughts will fade as well. I was a 3 pack a day smoker and had smoked for 34 years. I do know that physically I feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 234 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,729 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1872 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jonthedj, you will one day get to a point where smoking is not at the forfront of your mind, as time goes on the thoughts and mind games will decrease and disapeare. This is such an insidiuos addiction, there is the physical, mental and emotional factors. I know some of us go a long time as non smokers, and then come back to it, everyone has a different situation, but i believe in my case i had not really let go of it, i was still brainwashed that it would help me through troubles. For some it takes a few times to quit and get it right, of course i kick myself, but its the nature of this beast, i know for a fact it does get easier, the main thing is being 100% mentaly committed to your quit, no ifs, ands or buts, its the mental battle that is the one to beat, never doubt your decision to quit, stand firm... all the best jeanigirl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 33 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Phil, So as long as you have not smoked (Congrats!) you still feel the urge to smoke sometimes?
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not sure about alcoholism havent tried it! I SUSPECT that tobacco is just as addictive as alcohol if not worse but some one will put me right I am sure... Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 265 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,837 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1391.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jon, The quit is different for all :) The members will be along shortly to help you through these thoughts and feelings. This addiction can wreck havoc on our minds and bodies. The object is to be prepared and get into that mind set. No, it won't be easy, and anything can trigger those craves. Remember you smoked for years and it has become part of your routine and daily life. Work towards getting rid of this part of your life and introduce healthier choices and habits :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not the chemical addiction, the mental part. Wiull I always want to smoke, feel the desire, similar to an achoholic? Now just a disclaimer, I know alcoholism is far worse and im not trying to say they're the same thing, however I see people on here who quit for years and then came back. Will there forever be a little devil on my shoulder telling me to smoke? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 127 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $33 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
no problem Mitch....:-) Anything that helps!! Good luck to you!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 408 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46

Reading this thread: