Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,546 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

SH smoke can trigger a new series of withdrawal symptoms?

18 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Messa your and i are about the same length of time into our quits and i defiantly could not be in a room full of smokers. My issue is smelling it not the temptation. I'm determined not to smoke again and don't want to do that again to myself so i won't ever let myself slip. I find i get very annoyed around smoke and need to get away from it if i'm around it. I guess i'm the classic reformed smoker!! Even when i did smoke i was a shameful smoker meaning i was embarrassed to smoke around non-smokers. I'm taking it day by day and i have my ups & downs but failing is NEVER an option. If being around smokers is rough for you than give yoursefl some more time and mabey spend some time with some non-smokers for a while until it's a bit easier for you. Good luck & NEVER ever give up!! BJ( smoker for 17 years) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 294 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As I said on another topic, yesterday I was at a party that a couple of friends threw to celebrate the baptising of their daughter. The issue is that maybe 90% of the guests were smokers and the room was fogged with cigarette smoke and I've been there for about 9 hours. Of course I inhaled all that smoked smoke. Today I was all cranky, nervous, felt frustrated in a very annoying and weird way (for no reason at all), had a bout of crying (for no reason at all, too) and felt exactly the way I felt the first day of my quit, 15 days ago, which was - in a word - miserable. So, the questions are: 1. Does second-hand smoke cause, like that "one puff" I read about, a revival of the 72 hrs withdrawal? 2. If yes, will I be condemned to relive the withdrawal symptoms every time I socialize at parties or in pubs? (Please take note that in RO most of adults smoke and most of public places are smoker-friendly) 3. How can that be avoided without totally compromising my social life? (If I choose not to attend parties or not to go to pubs it's like there would be no social life anymore except for the family and a few friends). Should I go to these places and spend let's say 45 mins inside and 15 mins outside and then go back 45 mins and then again outside for 15 mins? I mean, how can I avoid the "hit" of nicotine (damned be it and Columbus for that matter) from second-hand smoke? (Sorry, I know my post is very grouchy, but I feel awful...) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 365 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �21 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
:) Well, I couldn't have skipped this party, here one can get a total social ban if one doesn't show up and STAY through events like weddings, baptising parties... Well, nevermind, I know I am a strong-willed (and hell-stubborn)person so it will be no problem seeing other people smoke, I won't be tempted. What I needed to know is if SH smoke is like that dreaded one puff - a trigger to withdrawal symptoms (from what I've been through today, I think it is) - because if it is, I will know what to expect and I'll be prepared and it won't take me by surprise :) - meaning that I can organise its management :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 368 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �21 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
Well, I have no problem in seeing people smoke, I don't feel like I need a smoke anymore, so the 9 hours yesterday were ok, I had no problem at all. Actually the smoke there was disturbing - terrible smell, my eyes went sore and dry, so was my throat and I got a mild headache - so it was no way I could have wanted a cigarette. Yuck :) [quote="smoggone"]Am going crazy to figure out where RO might be. Frankly, I have no clue......somewhere in Africa~lol?[/quote] You didn't miss by much :) :) :) RO is short for Romania, that fish-shaped ex-communist country by the Black Sea and with the Danube river underneath, in Europe but south of Africa :) Unfortunately smoking is like air here :( just until a few years ago non-smokers were looked upon as uncool, stupid, weird, cranky people who just seemed to like to annoy smokers with their remarks... Fortunately RO will enter the European Union in 2007 and this means that a lot of the EU laws and regulations will be adopted by RO, meaning also not allowing smoking in public places, confined and marked smokers' places, stuff like this. Ah, and rising the prices of cigarette packs (currently 0.8 �(lowest brand) - 1.2 �(highest brand) - which, in my opinion, makes the poison VERY accessible to teenagers. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 367 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �21 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
10X you guys for support (I REALLY need some shoulders to cry on today - some, not just one :) ) The funny thing is that I don't crave a cigarette, I'm not even hyperactive or hungry (as it happened after a craving), I just feel a weird frustration, very indefinite, it's like the way oe would normally feel if they have been robbed of something. The only thing is nobody has robbed me of anything :confuse: I think the way I feel is the way any junkie feels when off the intoxicating substance of his/her addiction, and I hate the feeling. I AM NOT AN ADDICT! (This was a shout). I will NEVER SMOKE AGAIN, no matter what. No chemical can be my master, right? I'm human and "it" is a stupid chemical. No "it" can be stronger than I am. Grrrr!
[quote] Ahhhh, Romania, land of the gymnasts in my mind. Love your stubborn determination. And how is your money comparable to the dollar? Am curious obout the cost of a pack of cigs. [/quote] Today 1 USD ($) was 2.99 RON (lei) - a pack of cigs is way too cheap, in my opinion. But this is only my opinion (I belong to the middle-class, a quite small percent, compared to most of romanians who are unfortunately very poor, earning in one year as much as some average-to-poor person in the EU earns in one month). For a heavy smoker who is a poor person it can be tough to get the ciggies, since they cost as much as his/her monthly income. But I still think the cigarettes are cheap. They should apply taxes to them and make them like 10 $ / pack. Nobody would pay a heavy smoker's 600 $ / month in this situation, right? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 369 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �21 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
This should be it - withdrawal all over again. Today it's the second day when I am feeling nervous, irritable and I have that "everybody just leave me alone" attitude. It's like an indigo copy of January 1st and 2nd. I hate it, especially because I know I've been clean all of this time, no slips, no puffs. But I guess that even if I wasn't smoking at all, I haven't been smoke-free, because of all that second-hand smoke. Horrible. I hope I'll be able to go sleep today before I kill someone. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 380 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �22.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not sure of the scientific aspect of second-hand smoke and nicotine absorption but you must have taken some on board during those 9 hours. I personally don't think that you have got a major problem with the 72 hour withdrawal as the amounts are hopefully just enough to make you cranky for a bit and not the huge quantities that we must have taken in through direct inhalation.........but it is food for thought. 9 hours completely confined has got to be rare......as others have said, get outside occasionally or congregate with others who don't smoke. I don't have a problem with my trips to the pub once a week. It can get smokey and ny clothes stink but I don't feel too bad. It won't be long (in my opinion) before smoking in public places is banned....there is a vote on it in the UK parliament shortly.....YESSSSSSS! Brent
18 years ago 0 211 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Messa Listen to what Rusty just told you. She has it right. No you don't have to be a social outcast for the rest of your life. Just try pacing how much time you have to be around it. I'm very lucky that here,Michigan, everyone I know who still smokes goes outside to do it, just as I use to. So glad I'm not our there freezing. keep the quit vicki just 1 puff away from 2 packs a day [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,625 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $630 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
18 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Messa.......Congrats on your decision not to smoke anymore. You might want to keep contact with smokers at a minimum in the beginning;that is, keep yourself away from temptation until you are stronger in your quit. Am going crazy trying to figure out where RO might be. Frankly, I have no clue......somewhere in Africa~lol? I have two methods for dealing with quit problems that never fail me: 1. go for a walk. 2. go shopping Stay close....read and post....let us know how you are doing and how we can help! Not One Puff Ever, Janet [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 176 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,533 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $880 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12

Reading this thread: