Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Okay! So I have COPD

9 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was diagnosed with stage 1 emphysema in Aug of 2012 and I finally quick smoking a year later. I see my doctor on a regular basis and over the year or so since I quit smoking the doc says there has been a very slight improvement. I have a good doctor that takes the time to explain things in ordinary language. He said that emphysema is not like cancer where you hear "You only have x amount of months to live" - he said with quiting smoking, proper exercise and other changes I could live a long life. Good luck to you!
9 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Buddy!!!

I'm sorry to hear about the current diagnosis and hope that the results of your latest tests are better than expected!  You are definitely a fighter and I know that whatever they tell you will not take the fight out of you!  You fought long and hard to kick that nico-demon's ash and turn yourself into that lean, mean fighting machine!  

Live life to it's fullest and never look back, dear friend!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 7

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 59

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda, sorry to hear this news.  I know you've been struggling for a while with health issues and the docs trying to figure out what was the cause.  At least now you pretty much know what is going on, and you can put together a plan to fight it head on!  Wishing you the best and sending happy thoughts your way!
9 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda you've got the spirit to handle this! I'm so glad you quit when you did too. Doctors can't always predict outcomes, especially when their patients take it upon themselves to be as healthy as possible! Keep on running...it's the journey that's most interesting, not the destination ???? All my very best. Pat
  • Quit Meter

$121,017.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 963 Hours: 23

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you!
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. The fact that you can run a 5 K does sound kind of amazing, in light of this information. So, here's to you keeping maximum abilities as life progresses. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,536.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 11

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am sorry to hear that Brenda. Your strength shines through and that positivity will help you greatly at this time. I wish you well.

Best,
Penitent x

• Quit Meter

$56,771.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 12

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thank you, Ashley.
9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brenda,

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am so thankful you quit when you did and I am so thankful you are as resilient as you are. You are one strong woman. Please keep us updated on your health. I am sending positive thoughts you way.

Take care,

Ashley, Health Educator

Hey guys! It has been a while. I've been chasing diagnoses. Yes, I do have COPD. I finally saw the pulmonologist today. She hasn't done any testing, but says that the "abdominal" ct scan that was done to assess my adrenal gland tumor shows mild centrilobular emphysema and a nodule. She told me that I likely have more nodules, that they are common. So I will have a chest ct scan and PFT testing earlier the same day that I see her again, October 15th.

I'm not worried about the tumors. I have tumors everywhere. I likely have multiple endocrine neoplasia disorder (MEN) 2a. It can cause bullous emphysema I've learned. However, I do have a smoking history. MEN is caused by a mutation in a tumor suppressor gene. It causes benign parathyroid and adrenal gland tumors and thyroid cancer. Yep! That's what it looks like. I can still run a 5K, and my pulmonoligist told me that my lung function will continue to deteriorate because of age, but not because of the emphysema. Quitting smoking put a stop to take. But my lung function is lower than that of a 53 year old who never smoked, and it will be lower than that of a 73 year old who never smoked.

I feel lucky. I was aware of the fact that I was developing emphysema/COPD and quit smoking before it got bad. It took me a lot of tries, but it was easy once I realized that I was a sap and that I was really only smoking because Phillip Morris had me hooked. My father died of lung cancer and was still trying to smoke as he was dying. I decided not me. I might die, but I decided that I would not do so hooked. I also knew that I would have a very difficult time stopping if I waited to hear the words I heard today.  I've substituted smoking with exercise. Since I still have very good exercise tolerance, I'm going to just do what I can while going about my business.  I will probably need to use an inhaler and maybe something else, depending on the results of the PFT.

Reading this thread: