Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Does it ever get easier?

13 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Helena

Yes, perhaps the hardest thing in life is to change.  And yet if we look at all of creation, the only constant I see is change.  There must be something about us that fogs the lens when it comes to this thought.  We struggle all the time.  And when it comes to addiction we REALLY struggle. 

But in some way if we come to realize that it is the struggle itself that causes our unhappiness we will, in our own way, simply stop struggling.  I am not saying that is easy for humans to do.  My tomato plants seem to know this instictively.  But for me to know it, I have to live a lifetime... 

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,727.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1376 Hours: 21

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Nonic, Helena, Duffis and Twain,

Thank you, I appreciate your comments and your wisdom. When I first quit I did do many things different in my life, change the time I ate, went to sleep, and my exercise regiment, routine stuff. But now everthing has reverted back to the way things were while I was a smoker although I do far better now with my exercising regiment. For me life is the same, I am the same person, but a smokeless person now. I am real happy that I lost the desire to smoke, and I really have lost that desire. I did smoke to relax and to help me think clearly. I only relaxed for a few minutes though while smoking and then it was gone so why smoke. I find that I think clearer now however I rarely relax cuz I'm just too busy with my life stuff and others life stuff. I just got hooked on smoking at a very young age and just carried it with me as it seems forever. I never thought too deeply about why I smoke. I just knew that it had to stop. And it did as it has been nearly 5 years and 20 would be no different.

We all have the same desire to get you and keep you on the quit. We have different views because we have different backgrounds. It is what makes the world so special. Please all your comments.

13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic,

I like how you've said that the addiction becomes irrelevant. Many of the members here have express that they smoked in order to cope with something or were using it to hide behide something. For example, if you were using it to relax , it became your relaxation tool. But like you said, become a non smoker, means your changing. You're no longer someone who uses smoking to relax. You changed into a person who does other thing (meditation, long walks, hot bath etc) to change. So why do you needs cigarettes now? Well, you don't!

Its a very powerful and insightful thought!

Helena
Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sticking

This is a very interesting question...The answer does depend upon what "it" refers to.  Does the addiction become easier?  The answer to that is no.  The addiction is what it has always been.  But what does get easier is your relationship to the addiction.

You are going through a metamorphosis.  You are changing.  The addiction does not change, it is always the same.  But the good news is that you have come far and if you think about it, you will see the changes in yourself that have enabled you to travel along the path to cessation. Try to acknowledge those changes.  Try to celebrate those changes.  And give yourself credit for making those changes. That is the purpose of rewarding yourself. 

Once we begin to understand that we are changing ourselves in a way that makes smoking a thing that no longer fits in our new way of going, the addiction becomes irrelevant. Let it always be a part of your past...

stay well

nonic     
  • Quit Meter

$66,727.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1376 Hours: 21

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 1095 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Only if you want it to.  When the desire to quit overcomes the desire to smoke..........you will quit and it does get easier.

Duffis

You just say no and I hear you!

I’m not tempted.  I know I am an addict and I am aware if I have a puff I’ll have another.  It’s my choice and I choose not to smoke.  If I smoke I’ll probably smoke forever.  I don’t want that to happen and I plan on it not happening.  You see I don’t like smoking.  It hurts my lungs, my mind, and my dignity.  I don’t let other’s smoking get in my way.

When I’m around those that smoke their pain is obvious. Down deep they know they rather be just like me.  It is getting to the smokeless point that takes some doing but hey look at all those people you know who are sticking to it. Do not make the mistake of trading in your smokelessness.  Good luck and stay quit forever!  You can do this and you know that you can.  How much money does it cost to smoke?  A whole lot if you live in the state of Washington.

Regards

Sticking to it

13 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are doing so great Sticking to it!  I've been somewhere close to where you are now with your quit and I can say too that it does get easier.  A word of caution though, easier can mean letting your guard down, forgetting why you quit (I mean all the reasons), and losing respect for the addiction that is still a powerful force even after many months of being quit without the pangs.

I don't mean to say that you go through any more hell weeks, there really only is one of those for every quit.  All the others pale in comparison.  I mean to say that the addiction is a part of you and it has to be controlled even when it is not tormenting you like it did when you first quit.  Even after a year quit, one puff is enough to take you back to the start.  Been there, done that (more than once).  I'm not very wise as I didn't learn from my mistakes on those occasions and I won't mention the exact number of times I've proven to myself that I can be really stupid.  And stupid really is the right word though it may not be PC it is accurate.

You've got to be smart.  There's no room for error because the addiction doesn't care how long you've been quit.  Let's face it, it doesn't take intelligence to smoke.  It's quite the contrary in more ways than one.  It doesn't take maturity to smoke.  Once again, contrary.  Learn to recognize when the addiction is talking.  Your intellect is your most significant advantage and weakness.

It's not satisfying to smoke.  Smoking keeps you from withdrawl so it is more a maintenance thing than a satisfaction.  People say they enjoy smoking but what they are really saying is I'd rather be raping my lungs and demonstrating to all I love that I don't care about them than feeling the withdrawl.  You're not worth that.  Stupid?  You tell me.

Tell me the addiction won't make me stupid and I'll think you're stupid.  You couldn't have any idea or you wouldn't say that.  It's like a nonsmoker telling you that smoking is not good for you.  What do you think and what do you say?  That's really cute, what other recorded messages can you say without any thought?  Do parots think the same way?  That sounds like pride, yup.  You are proud to be stupid.  Hmmm.

They say that the difference between intelligence and stupidity is that there are limits to intelligence.  I agree.  I'm stupid or I would never have started smoking to begin with.  I am stupid or I would have quit a long time ago.  The addict makes me act stupid.  The addict is a part of me.  To beat the addict I have to be smarter than the addict, always.

It does get easier and that is both good and bad (potentially).  Don't forget how stupid you can be.

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sticking to it,

Congrats on your milestone! Thanks for sharing that it does indeed get easier. Much needed feedback for many folks.

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,500.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5542 Hours: 9

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Never go back to that hellish life; the smoking that consumed your thoughts if it was not promptly attended to.  I feel lucky, although there must have been perseverance and then some luck.  Luck in not having stinking people stinking the air that I was breathing when I was just a babe getting started.

Does it ever get easier?  Sure as I sit here blogging at you; wanting to share and extend the life of the smokeless to you.  

If not yet in control, try sticking to it just a while longer.  Put off that next smoke until tomorrow and you may find that tomorrow never comes.   There is nothing in smoking that makes it worthwhile to go back too.  It’s been a smoker’s hoax you will find.

I celebrate 59 months this month and I have no desire to light up.   Why would I?  Nicodemon is dead and I am smokeless.

Reading this thread: