Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Wish I Had Been Told...

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You make a good point, No Smokin Tresa. I always say that before I started smoking I knew cigarettes caused lung cancer... What I didn't understand was addiction.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 229
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,412
Amount Saved: $2,484.65
Life Gained:
Days: 25 Hrs: 1 Mins: 11 Seconds: 46

14 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The addiction in General, how they get an awful HOLD on us, i cant even remember at what point i was really addicted , so Glad to be free
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2686
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 64,464
Amount Saved: $11,281.20
Life Gained:
Days: 348 Hrs: 22 Mins: 32 Seconds: 56

14 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wish I had known what a deeply personal journey this would be and how isolated I would feel in the beginning.  To anyone just starting their quit, I never felt this way with past quits, so I think it was a good sign that this was the final quit. 
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/19/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 543
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,516
Amount Saved: $1,710.45
Life Gained:
Days: 45 Hrs: 5 Mins: 54 Seconds: 5

14 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wish I'd been told that I wouldn't just be quitting smoking.  To choose to quit smoking is to choose to change your life forever.  Your.  Whole.  Entire.  Life.  Forever.

I tried it once about 15 years ago, made it two months.  Once it occurred to me the life had to change along with it I freaked out and went back on the merry go round.  The second quit has stuck through piles of difficult times, most recently the loss of my father in law four days before my birthday.  I did not think ONCE I'd like a cigarette during that time - something I still cannot believe.

Before this quit, I chose to change my life forever.  That knowledge alone built up such apprehension.  Can I do this?  Why am I doing this?  That made the withdrawal harder.  Why do I have to change everything?  It's not fair.  Why do I have to suffer such emotional angst?  It's not fair.  But I want.  It's not fair.  I don't want to WANT.

In some ways the changed life has been for the worse, I'll not lie.  It's not all sunshine and roses.  That's a risk we have to take to survive.  In most ways it's now a life that doesn't even whisper of the one I used to have.

This quitting is a complex beast.  Do I like the new me?  Oh yes, much better.  But I now find myself in a life I hadn't planned for, one that was acceptable in its entirety before but now from some (very important bits) of it the shine's come off and (nod to nonic) the curtain's been pulled and the wizard is a putz.

It keeps changing - with every new discovery the new life shivers and knots and loosens and flies and flows like water and freezes like ice.  Where it leads I will choose.  The choice won't be made by a pack of stinky weeds and the fever of addiction it represents.

I wish I'd been told.

x T

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/1/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1078
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 24,794
Amount Saved: �6,818.35
Life Gained:
Days: 93 Hrs: 22 Mins: 5 Seconds: 10

14 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, I agree, there is NEVER a good time to quit!  I picked New Year's in 2007 and then my child's birthday and blew that this past weekend and lost 65 days.

But here's to a new day.
The holidays can be stressful so I started a journal last night (found my journal from 07 too on the pc) and when I'm jonsing really bad I hope to be close to it write.
SS

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 0
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 0
Amount Saved: $0.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 57 Seconds: 39

14 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I first read this, I couldn't think of anything (just goes to show how quickly memories fade!)

But as I approach the anniversary of my quit, I am reminded how I wished someone had told me that picking a quit date just before Christmas probably wasn't the best idea I'd ever had!

However, with hindsight, it was probably just as well, because if I hadn't quit then, I probably would have put it off forever. For a nicotine addict there is never a good time it seems, there is always some excuse as to why you shouldn't quit.

Now I'm glad I quit exactly when I did.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/16/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1824
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 58,368
Amount Saved: �11,673.60
Life Gained:
Days: 257 Hrs: 4 Mins: 16 Seconds: 37

• Quit Meter

$32,328.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter