Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Step two ?

14 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jim is exactly correct and the only thing I would add is I have not heard of many people who have given up the patches early and succeeded.  There was one guy on this site who tried to do that because he felt very good about his quit but then shortly afterwards he had a family situation come up that caused him to light up and that was the end of his quit.  If there are others who have done this successfully I'd love to hear from you... Ron
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 511
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,198
Amount Saved: $3,219.30
Life Gained:
Days: 78 Hrs: 16 Mins: 54 Seconds: 43

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Lance!!!

You really are doing great so far!   I have seen your confidence steadily grow over the past few weeks, so this is an excellent question!  The next thing you have to ask yourself is this...  Do you feel so confident in your quit that NOTHING that happens in your life will EVER cause you to want a cigarette again and smoke?  If the answer is yes, then maybe you are ready to give up the patch!

Many people swear that going through the whole patch program is the way to go.  Just like many people who used Chantix or gum or lozenges swear that going through the whole program is the way to go.  Studies have proven that quitters going through the whole patch regimen are more successful at quitting than not.

I was like you, but my NRT was Chantix.  I started on the drug and then I found this site and my confidence grew daily!  I, too, am a penny-pinching son-of-a-gun and I really didn't want to spend another $115 for that second 4 weeks.  By the end of 3 weeks on Chantix, I just knew that I was past the major craving part of my quit and that I was confident enough and strong enough to do it on my own!  Oh, and if the cravings did start to get to me, I had another week's worth to get me through till I could get to the pharmacy again!    That didn't happen though, because I knew that I had the strength to live by NOPE for the rest of my life!

So...  You know that you have to protect your quit at all costs, right?  If you think you have what it takes to continue whooping up on the demon without the patch, give it a try!!!  If you have ANY doubt, buy some more!    

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 615
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 15,375
Amount Saved: $2,536.88
Life Gained:
Days: 105 Hrs: 22 Mins: 32 Seconds: 16

• Quit Meter

$44,272.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 16

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lance, Good job! However I think you're going to have to spend the money on some patches. Like Karren said, you need to have some on hand. I'm glad you're feeling confidant, but I would try to get a few more weeks. Unless you were the type of smoker who got up in the middle of the night to smoke (I was), the fact that you can go at night without the patch doesn't count. When you're working, you're busy. You just have to make sure that it has been long enough for you to have established new habits before you take the leap--like you need to be able to handle boredom. I bought a 1000 piece puzzle the other day, but I'm also preparing to move to another apartment  in a week. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 191
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,348
Amount Saved: $2,072.35
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 22 Mins: 7 Seconds: 39

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lance,

It is great to see you at 25 days smoke-free! You have been making excellent progress and the benefits of being smoke-free are sure to be rolling in each day. Stay strong!

Members, what have your experiences been with the step 2 patches?

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lance I would try but be prepared to have some patches ready to hand should you feel your quit starting to wobble. Your quit now is going so well, and you seem so much better in yourself that it would be really sad if anything were to jeapordise your quit at this stage. You really are a terrific example to new quitters as you really can say honestly that the quit does get easier day by day.
So, do what you think you can, but be on your guard.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 547
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,675
Amount Saved: $8,205.00
Life Gained:
Days: 64 Hrs: 13 Mins: 37 Seconds: 8

14 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I know this may sound strange, I'm debating on spending the money on the step two patches. I know they are far less money than I would have spent on smoking, but I'm really watching what I spend right now. With my economic situation right now I try to spend as little as I can. 

I feel pretty confident in my quit right now. I take off the patch to work out, about 4 hours a day and I take it off at night to sleep. So, thats half the day right there. I'm debating on what I should do. I have some patches left over from last year when I tried to quit, so if I was having trouble I could use them until I bought some step 2 patches.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 25
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 500
Amount Saved: $153.75
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 3 Mins: 7 Seconds: 0

Reading this thread: