Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,553 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Question: Does It Help When Loved Ones Ask You to Quit?

14 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My daughter used to ask both my husband and I to quit, and although her constant requests tugged at the heart strings I am ashamed to say the addiction won out every time.
I would make half hearted promises to quit, at holiday times like Christmas, New Years, my birthday etc, but of course these came and went. When I chose to quit it was quietly and my own doing, I didn't want to feel beholden to anyone or make a commitment I might not of been able to keep.

Of course my daughter is bursting with pride now.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 446
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,150
Amount Saved: $6,690.00
Life Gained:
Days: 52 Hrs: 15 Mins: 34 Seconds: 36

14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As everyone has already stated, it depends on the individual.  Most people say that you have to want to do it for yourself but having support from others is always a good idea.
Have fun at the butterfly sanctuary Nick!  That should be fun!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No, for me this never worked.  To me this quit is extemely personal and I don`t really talk to anyone about it much. I have to do it for me and I fight every day with myself still not to smoke. It get easier and the cravings get smaller as time goes by.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 286
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,150
Amount Saved: $2,288.00
Life Gained:
Days: 40 Hrs: 8 Mins: 56 Seconds: 53

14 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My 6 year old (Lucy) saying to me 'daddy those cigarette ends in the garden have poison in them that can kill us. They neeed to be cleaned up. I wish you wouldnt put poison in your body, I dont want you to die because of poison'. Pretty much sealed me giving up the smokes.  Like i've said a few times before I use Lucy to emotionaly blackmail myself into not smoking. I promised her that i wouldnt smoke and even at my lowest times when I would have happily broke that promise (yes i am capable of breaking a promise to a six year old for my addiction). My wife or eldest daughter (Alana) saying 'I'll tell Lucy' tends to end the idea of slipping pretty quickly. Doesnt that give you an idea on how low i can be as an addict. I'd (at times) happily go back  if i thought i could lie about it, and be believed. As soon as the option of lying is taken away, theres no chance of it happening. Its a stupid notion to anyway, you cant lie about smoking. Not only does it invade and consume all area's of your life, it really does stink. She wouldnt need telling, she'd smell it.
Lucy was a big influence on me quitting but not any more than knowng i was shortening my time with my family. Her request of me was something that happened late last year. It really bought the situation to the forefront of my mind. I've been mulling the idea over since then and making sure it was what i wanted.
Anyhow big treat tomorrow, taking the girls to the butterfly sanctuary.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 24
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 480
Amount Saved: �140.40
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 10 Mins: 16 Seconds: 18

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, the time before last, when I got 42 days cold turkey, I quit when I saw the look in a friends eye after I shyly admitted I was smoking two packs a day now. (I was in an eviction fight with my last landlord in San Fancisco. I won by the pay. Was paid to move.)

This time my aunt asked me to quit like my aunt, and I started trying.  I find that it does actually help me to have people tell me to stop doing (or to do) things, especially when I'm indecisive, which really doesn't happen often. Maybe I don't think anyone cares before they tell me to stop. I don't know.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 89
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,403
Amount Saved: $901.13
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 19 Mins: 38 Seconds: 2

Reading this thread: