Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

STUPID OLD SMOKING ADS, TOYS AND MORE INSANE THINGS... (2)

15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Un-friggin-believable that those of us "of a certain age" bought this crap -- hook, line, and sinker!
Me, I am so NOT blaming the advertisers as much as I am standing in absolute awe of our naivete and willingness to believe whatever we want to believe!!  And this thread didn't hit them all:  "I'd rather fight than switch?"  "Show us your Tarrytons?"  "LSMFT?"  No wonder young people think we're idiots.

Remember the "sample packs" you could get from the guy on the street corner or at the shopping center (pre-mall)?
Remember that the White House had special cigarattes for all of its guests?  My parents actually had some real White House cigarettes, and I grew up in Southern California!!  (Last admin was JFK, I think; I think Rosalyn Carter was the one who banned smoking in the White House, but it could have been as recent as Hillary Clinton.)

Some things really need to be gone.

peteg

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 53
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,650
Amount Saved: $596.25
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 19 Mins: 52 Seconds: 32

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Its hard to believe that these were once legitimately advertising cigarettes. Now, thanks to education, we are aware of the danger and damage they really do.
I was brought up in the late 1950's when this type of ignorance was abundant, not only in relation to smoking but to diet, suntanning and all sorts of things we now know to be dangerous. If only they'd known then what we know now.......

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 327
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,175
Amount Saved: $4,905.00
Life Gained:
Days: 38 Hrs: 14 Mins: 36 Seconds: 50

15 years ago 0 410 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Now I know why I smoked Camels (forever)! They were recommended by all these Doctors! Good for my throat?
Boy o boy!
cameless

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/17/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 471
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,775
Amount Saved: $3,326.44
Life Gained:
Days: 89 Hrs: 23 Mins: 49 Seconds: 16

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 I love these , i still get candy smokes when i go to Oaklahoma , thanks CT  Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2428
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 58,272
Amount Saved: $10,197.60
Life Gained:
Days: 315 Hrs: 9 Mins: 47 Seconds: 16

15 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow CT!
In Mexico we use to have candy cigarrettes! They were delicious; they sold them by the pack, like the real ones!!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 67
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,005
Amount Saved: $100.50
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 16 Mins: 43 Seconds: 37

15 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks CT,  those ads are just hilarious and hard to believe that we actually bought into it!
In my province the workplace smoking ban comes into finality on May 31st of this year. (This is an extension of the policy already in place, no more designated areas etc etc.) My co-workers who still smoke are panicking. They will have to go outside 30 feet from the building (rather than smoking in the back shop as they have for many years). It won't be bad for the summer, but next year when it's -40, it will be a little more trouble to go for a smoke! Some are trying to quit already!
So just one more reason to give it up, there is no place left to smoke except your home, and even it will be on the hit list soon!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 757
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 18,925
Amount Saved: $7,986.35
Life Gained:
Days: 100 Hrs: 5 Mins: 49 Seconds: 23

15 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, I remembered when you posted that the last time.  Amazing, really amazing and my generation bought into it.  How sad is that.  The education was there and all thought it was cool. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

Keep the Quit
Sparky

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 40
Amount Saved: $8.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 16 Mins: 9 Seconds: 0

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thanks for posting again CT - it is mind-boggling to see what was being advertised just a few decades ago!

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 135 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
These have been posted before but I could not find the original so I am posting for the new quitters.

These wouldn't fool you today!

Now this one is scary... have you heard of "smoking donkey" !? Just search google and you will see what it is.

I found this hideous new version of it for sale... pathetic...

The add bellow is my favorite, if we did that today what we would get would be a slap on the face..LOL

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/8/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 266
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,320
Amount Saved: $406.98
Life Gained:
Days: 37 Hrs: 13 Mins: 47 Seconds: 57

Reading this thread: